CSX ES40DC's

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
ConrailForever
Railroadfan...fan

CSX ES40DC's

Unread post by ConrailForever »

After a couple days of digging through other forums, I've gained some information about the CSX ES40DC project, and figured I'd post about it since I hadn't seen any other related threads on the site.

All CSX ES44DC's 5200-5501 are scheduled to be derated to ES40DC's. Officially stated to be in an effort to reduce fuel consumption, it has also been rumored a decision to prevent turbocharger failure. A few GEVO's already through with the transformation are 5322, 5356, and 5254. ES44AC's, AC4400CW's, and AC6000CW's are not to be derated under the current circumstances. All C44-9W's are also planned to be derated to C40-9W's.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX ES40DC's

Unread post by hoborich »

Norfolk Southern did that with theirs, right from the beginning.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Good decision by CSX... too bad it won't change their appearance in the least. :roll:
Bottom text.

ConrailForever
Railroadfan...fan

They need to either A) Reinstate the YN2 scheme as their "main" scheme, or B) Do the latter and paint units as they do mast AC6000's, with accented side logos.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

ConrailForever wrote:They need to either A) Reinstate the YN2 scheme as their "main" scheme,
Here here!! I grew up with that scheme! Always prefer to see YN2 over YN3. Really like CSX blue and gray personally. One thing I dont know about derating GEVOs is how many confirmed turbo falilures have been recorded where the turbo blows out the side of the locomotive?
Nick

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

C&O - For Progress.

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

why not paint it Chessie, best paint scheme ,,, ever,,,,ever ,,, EVER

bjett
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bjett »

hobojim wrote:why not paint it Chessie, best paint scheme ,,, ever,,,,ever ,,, EVER
You are Kidding = right????? :lol:

bjett

ConrailForever
Railroadfan...fan

bjett wrote:
hobojim wrote:why not paint it Chessie, best paint scheme ,,, ever,,,,ever ,,, EVER
You are Kidding = right????? :lol:

bjett
Chessie- Not one of my favorite schemes.
The DRGW Scheme UP 1989 was based off of- Definitely a favorite.
KCS Southern Belle- Definitely a favorite
Conrail Big Blue- Definitely a favorite
CSX YN2 AC6000CW-style- Definitely a favorite
NS Black And White- Hmm... Maybe time for a bit of a makeover? Who knows. Just my two cents :roll:

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Ok lets turn this thread into a "Favorite scheme" thread...

Chessie was a cool scheme...not my favorite but it was very unique. I'm not a big fan of locomotives that are painted every color of the rainbow. KCS Belle is atrocious...as is every other KCS paint scheme. Never been a fan of BNSF paint scheme. Blue Bonnet/Warbonnet were nice, as was BN whiteface. Conrail was a simplistic, tasteful scheme as is NS. Sure, people don't like it because it is black and white. So? Conrail was blue and white...BN was green and white (and black), CSX is blue/gold -- so many railroads only utilize two colors, why hate on NS for being black and white -- atleast they have somewhat of a logo unlike the creativity at CSX, BNSF and other railroads. I think the white face on the NS units is a welcome addition. I like UP and CP but not a big fan of CN. CSX...I am still undecided about YN3...I like it because it is C&O colors but it is just too...blah. YN1 and YN2 were better, maybe just because I had more time to get "attatched" to them. Locomotives are big, dirty beasts...they aren't supposed to be painted in bright, vibrant colors. Wisconsin Central, Wisconsin Southern, Iowa Interstate, DRGW(WLE), Indiana Railroad are all great schemes. And of course, I can't forget the patriotic duo, GR red/white and MMRR blue/white! I like a dirty, hard-working locomotive! :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Mr. Tops wrote:Ok lets turn this thread into a "Favorite scheme" thread...
Sure, people don't like it because it is black and white. So? Conrail was blue and white...BN was green and white (and black), CSX is blue/gold -- so many railroads only utilize two colors, why hate on NS for being black and white --
Speak for yourselves...I love simple two color schemes with one of the colors being very dark. CMGN black & white, GTW black & red, NS, SP grey & red, etc. Love them all.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Since we're naming favorite schemes, Conrail Quality "smiley" paint worn by the SD80MAC's and SD70MAC's was always my favorite. :D
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Don Simon wrote:
Mr. Tops wrote:Ok lets turn this thread into a "Favorite scheme" thread...
Sure, people don't like it because it is black and white. So? Conrail was blue and white...BN was green and white (and black), CSX is blue/gold -- so many railroads only utilize two colors, why hate on NS for being black and white --
Speak for yourselves...I love simple two color schemes with one of the colors being very dark. CMGN black & white, GTW black & red, NS, SP grey & red, etc. Love them all.
That's what I'm saying, Don. I like the simple schemes, but many people don't. I don't like the brighter, flashy schemes. KCS Belle, the UP Heritage units, etc. I like simple, classy schemes with more neutral colors. I don't know...it is all just about personal opinion...regardless of simplicity, or flashy colors, there are just schemes that I either like - or don't like. And now that I think about it, there's really not any schemes that I DON'T like, there are just the schemes I like better than others...Here's my list

Favorites:
UP
NS
CR
Chessie
CP
ATSF
MP
IAIS
WSOR
WC
DRGW/WLE
PAL
FEC
MILW
IC
L&N
WM
EJE
BRC

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Mr. Tops wrote:That's what I'm saying, Don. I like the simple schemes, but many people don't.
I know what you meant. I was referring to the people who you were referring to :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Those Chessie locos looked like circus wagons. The only thing missing was a caliope! :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

ConrailForever
Railroadfan...fan

I suppose I'm just tired of the NS Scheme is all, nothing personal. But I will agree with Mr. Tops when it comes to being more creative with a logo. As for the Southern Belle scheme, it is one of the more vibrant schemes around, and I find that interesting, plus I like the combination of all the colors. I also like the Warbonnet, still simplistic in color scheme, but a real beauty to see. Also, one of my other favorite schemes was the CNW "Green Lightning" scheme on Dash 9's and AC4400's.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

ConrailForever wrote:After a couple days of digging through other forums, I've gained some information about the CSX ES40DC project...Officially stated to be in an effort to reduce fuel consumption, it has also been rumored a decision to prevent turbocharger failure.
My guess is that this will be a temporary fix until GE comes up with a more permenant solution to the turbo charger failures. If I were CSX, NS, BNSF, etc and GE said "Derate your locomotives to solve the problem" I would be furious. They paid for 4400 HP, and by God we're going to get our 4400 HP. If they wanted 4000 HP they would have ordered as such. The CSX AC6000's were de-rated to 4400 for a time, until their turbo issues were resolved, and then re-rated to 6000 hp.

The ES series already boasts better fuel economy with the better HP out of a smaller block. I doubt CSX is looking to reduce that more, hence the reason they wanted ES prime movers with 4400 HP.

Practice Safe CSX

CSXTSD40-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXTSD40-2 »

YN3 is a beautiful scheme, I think. Nice rich colors are so much nicer than the crayon shade of YN2. I do like YN1 though, a very nice scheme that Im sure I like because of its rarity now.

But anyway, my favorite schemes are as follows:

WC Pinetree
SOO Hockey Stick
CP no beaver
CSX YN3
FEC Blue
CR Can opener
GTW/DWP Blue/Orange
DRGW Large Lettering
UP Mini Wings/Lightning bolt
Western Maryland (both)
Seaboard Coast Line Black
All Rock Island schemes after the "The Rocket".
Milwaukee Road Hiawatha
MRL
DMIR
CNW Original Yellow (Early 1990's)

Leasers-

HLCX Solid Blue
FURX/GCFX Green and Silver
MPI/MK/HLCX Blue and Gold
GATX/GSCX Blue/White

Alec

ConrailForever
Railroadfan...fan

Going back to the original topic, the majority of all CSX DC GEVO's are now 4000 Horsepower. They work fast...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

ConrailForever wrote:Going back to the original topic, the majority of all CSX DC GEVO's are now 4000 Horsepower. They work fast...
Its a software modification, so its not hard. Thats what they did with the AC6000's when they had the same problems. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the modification couldn't be done on the 'fly' from the Satelite these things are plugged into.

I had a locomotive a few months ago that the computer throttle was screwed up on it. It would go notch 1-2-3-4-5-4-5-8. Computer wasn't recognizing the 6 and 7 notches. I called Mechanical while enroute, and reported the trouble. The locomtive had been doing it for roughly 130 miles at that point. 5 minutes after the call, the locomotive started operating as intended. I contend they called GE, who got in there via the satelite, and fixed the computer bug. I never did anything to remedy the situation, and when was the last time you saw a locomotive 'fix' itself?

Practice Safe CSX