Labor Day Operations

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Labor Day Operations

Unread post by cbehr91 »

I know the question is asked every year, and like an idiot, I always forget the answer. But do the railroads shut down or operate on redueced schedules over the Labor Day weekend? I'd like to get trackside and actually see stuff next weekend.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: Labor Day Operations

Unread post by Y@ »

Seems like it varies from year to year, at least on CSX. I seem to remember going out over the Labor Day weekend last year and traffic was pretty normal.
Bottom text.

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

We're working

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

me too

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Have not seen a plan to say we are not.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Hard to say in this economy - years ago it'd just be business as usual for the most part, but there may be some slow down or locals/yard jobs annulled, etc. on the Monday but otherwise probably pretty close to normal (also based on the replies above).

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Alrighty then. I appreciate the answers. The weather is supposed to be fantastic this weekend so chances are I'll be trackside somewhere this weekend.

t.winx
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by t.winx »

Tyler

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Have not seen a plan to say we are not.
CSX is shutting down. But we're running intermodal, grain, coal, and freight trains to meet customer commitments. Curtailing yard operations starting Sunday night, and go back at it full bore on Tuesday morning.

Probably be like the 4th of July 'shutdown' where we were "**'shut down'**", but ran freight, grain, intermodal, and light power moves. Outside of those trains though, we were shut down! Spent 8 hrs 'shut down', and still didn't get to get my book of rules finished up I was so busy moving trains.

Practice Safe CSX

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

That is the roumer I hear, but as of this morning, they still had nothing posted in the crew rooms at Willard to say so. Funny thing is Willard is having there "Family Day" on Monday the holiday. Hum no one will be able to attend as they will keep running all the freights and intermaodal" :D

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:That is the roumer I hear, but as of this morning, they still had nothing posted in the crew rooms at Willard to say so. Funny thing is Willard is having there "Family Day" on Monday the holiday. Hum no one will be able to attend as they will keep running all the freights and intermaodal" :D
Just spoke with Tom Dupee and he is giving the locomotive tour. Also, as you just said, he said they'll run the intermodal, coke, and coal. And to further add to what you said, he had no idea if he'd get called out or not :D
Brett

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

bdconrail29 wrote:
sd70accsxt700 wrote:That is the roumer I hear, but as of this morning, they still had nothing posted in the crew rooms at Willard to say so. Funny thing is Willard is having there "Family Day" on Monday the holiday. Hum no one will be able to attend as they will keep running all the freights and intermaodal" :D
Just spoke with Tom Dupee and he is giving the locomotive tour. Also, as you just said, he said they'll run the intermodal, coke, and coal. And to further add to what you said, he had no idea if he'd get called out or not :D
If it weren't paying so good right now, I need a break from the stupid. We're running intermodal, grain, coal, coke, and light power to protect the start up. Just can't run any freight behind those light engines. Got a Q310 sitting in Avon, ready to go to Columbus, but some dumb person says we can't run freight trains after midnight. Crew sitting in the hotel, rested, waiting to go back home. Train will have 7 engines to go to Columbus and Russell to help with their startup, but oh no, can't run freight after midnight. So they'll probably deadhead them, incur additional cab expenses, but at least we're not running freight after midnight! Ditto with Q639, engines for startup, truck frames that GM wants somewhere by Monday or Tuesday, but we can't run freight after midnight. But they do want us to run the autoparts for Q333 and Q239, except our yard jobs are all laid in tomorrow, so I'm not sure how we're going to accomplish that fact. Plus the D yard is full, since we can't run trains out after midnight. I could see running a train out of a terminal with a crew who is going to be 'away from home'. But if you're going to be sending a train to someone's home terminal, why not run it?

I don't know why they bother shutting down for the smaller Holidays. Get everyone back for Christmas and New Years. If someone wants Labor Day off, then they can use vacation, layoff, etc. Its not right to our customers and the flow of traffic to shut down for the smaller Holidays.

Practice Safe CSX

amtk24
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by amtk24 »

I'm about to be dumb here for a sec. So if I get up Tuesday, I can see all these trains that are stuck in yards (to and from Avon) going by in a big parade?

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

amtk24 wrote:I'm about to be dumb here for a sec. So if I get up Tuesday, I can see all these trains that are stuck in yards (to and from Avon) going by in a big parade?
Everything that is called between 0001 and 0700 will be scheduled out of yards at 0700. They want the mainlines clear of trains, so there won't be anything held out (or so they say). But, currently, Q310, Q639, Q515, Q642, J726, J727, J776, and then the regular compliment of trains will be called from 0700 on. Q348, Q595, and Q686 will all be trying to get out of Avon at the same time on their normal schedule. Gee...can't see how that could go wrong at all...

Practice Safe CSX

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

CSX_CO wrote:I don't know why they bother shutting down for the smaller Holidays. Get everyone back for Christmas and New Years. If someone wants Labor Day off, then they can use vacation, layoff, etc. Its not right to our customers and the flow of traffic to shut down for the smaller Holidays.
Boy I dont understand why we stay open. Other then UPS who is working holidays. Most places I know of shut down for the holiday. Never understood why if the customers shut down a extra day, we keep moving stuff, as usualy one day a few days after its slow as crap, as no one loaded or unloaded, anything.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:I don't know why they bother shutting down for the smaller Holidays. Get everyone back for Christmas and New Years. If someone wants Labor Day off, then they can use vacation, layoff, etc. Its not right to our customers and the flow of traffic to shut down for the smaller Holidays.
Boy I dont understand why we stay open. Other then UPS who is working holidays. Most places I know of shut down for the holiday. Never understood why if the customers shut down a extra day, we keep moving stuff, as usualy one day a few days after its slow as crap, as no one loaded or unloaded, anything.
I bet you'd be surprised how many people still have to work on the lesser Holidays. There are places that can't shut down. food processing places for example. With the recent uptick in traffic, why wouldn't you take advantage of some of your customers being shut down to clear up a back log of traffic, or get ahead a little bit? Also, someone is paying to get that car from A to B, just because the railroad shuts down, doesn't mean their car doesn't have to get to where it needs to be.

Practice Safe CSX

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Speaking of Family Day, we went over today and it was pretty cool. Never been in the yard before. Tom gave the tour of the locomotive which was 5218 this year. We also drove east down to the Admin. Bldg. to leave. There were 2 eastbounds there waiting to depart, one was an ethanol train. While in the car department building, 2 westbound vans went by, I don't know who they were.
Brett

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

If one of the two was mixed freight, it has been there as of at least 0630. Vans and Ethnoal was all that was moving today. Was going to come down, but just to tired.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Oh yeah. It was tied down. Yeah I was wondering if you were coming down or not.
Brett

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Sure glad we shut down. Our receiving yard, bowl, and departure yard are now more backed up then before (since we had to take in trains everyone sent our way, but weren't allowed to let anything leave), and now we don't have power to run anything either.

Practice Safe CSX