Traintenna

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

Traintenna

Unread post by Huelsy'sTrainBlog »

I just bought the TrainTenna from DPD productions, does anyone have one and what do they think of it?

RRTTF
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Traintenna

Unread post by RRTTF »

The Traintenna is nothing more than a 5/8 wave VHF magnetic mount antenna. Radio Shack used to sell one. Shakespeara sells one. Maxrad sells one. A bunch of other manucturers sell them, and most of them sell them for less money than the Traintenna. (Unless, somehow, having the word "Train" in the name makes it worth spending extra money just for the name!).

The secret to good scanner reception in a vehicle is to have the antenna at the highest possible spot on the vehicle (the roof is better than the trunk or hood), and as centered as possible so as to have maximum "ground plane" around the base of the antenna.

Also, avoid having a LONG run of coaxial cable. The longer the coaxial cable, the greataer the loss of signal.

If you run your xoac through the rubber weather strip of the door, be careful that the coax does not get pinched or bent at an extrene angle.

Almost all of the class 1 railroads have converted to "narrowband" over the past year, and ALL railroads MUST be narrowband by January 1, 2013. One noticeable drawback of "narrowband" is that the range of radios is reduced by obout 20 percent. On an older "wideband" scanner, you can still receive the radio transmission, but the audio will seem to be a little "weaker" than if heard on a "narrowband" scanner.

The next FCC-mandated "move" for railroads is to digital (very narrowband) radios. Some railroads are already starting to make this switch, although a "drop dead" date has not yet been set by the FCC, but is generally anticipated as being 2016. Railroads, through the AAR, have adopted the NXDN protocol for the digital format. There currently are no scanners which receive the NXDN protocol.

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Generally, have been very unimpressed with the digital 800 MHz radio system that many Michigan police agencies are now stuck with, hope the RR's have better luck.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Huelsy'sTrainBlog wrote:I just bought the TrainTenna from DPD productions, does anyone have one and what do they think of it?
I have one. The long silver whip was a little too dorky looking for me, so I attached an old 22" black radio shack whip I found in my closet. I compared the reception between the two and the difference was so minimal that I decided to keep the shorter whip on there. The long, silver whip just screams "DORK!" :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

All I can say is, get a ham...radio, not sandwich. If you're just listening to trains, they're cheaper than almost all scanners on the market, and all current ham radios are narrowband compatible since the amateur bands have to switch, too. And, if you're just listening with it, you don't need a license to own a ham radio.

I went from using a scanner to using a ham two years ago right at the beginning of all the narrowband hoopla and haven't noticed a difference at all.

TomCat4680
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TomCat4680 »

I'm interested in the mobile Traintenna, but 70 bucks plus 17 bucks shipping seems pretty expensive for antenna that is made for such a narrow band if you ask me (it's even more than my Diamond D-130J was which is an all-band base antenna). Is it exclusive to DPDP or is there somewhere else that sells it for cheaper? Free shipping would be really nice.

TomCat4680
Railroadfan...fan

RRTTF wrote:The Traintenna is nothing more than a 5/8 wave VHF magnetic mount antenna. Radio Shack used to sell one. Shakespeara sells one. Maxrad sells one. A bunch of other manucturers sell them, and most of them sell them for less money than the Traintenna. (Unless, somehow, having the word "Train" in the name makes it worth spending extra money just for the name!).
Do you even have a Traintenna????

Do you really think all antennas are created equal and all that matters is height?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: In my 13 years of scanning experience, I've found that to be the furthest thing from the truth. Same thing with scanners. My VX-150 with a Diamond RH77CA at ground level gets waaaay better railband reception than any wideband scanner/antenna combination I've ever had, even my base station rooftops.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

The closer you can cut an antenna to a specific frequency, the better it will perform. Most antennas are cut to the middle of the range of frequencies it is intended to receive.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

hoborich wrote:The closer you can cut an antenna to a specific frequency, the better it will perform. Most antennas are cut to the middle of the range of frequencies it is intended to receive.
Absolutely correct.
TomCat4680 wrote:
RRTTF wrote:The Traintenna is nothing more than a 5/8 wave VHF magnetic mount antenna. Radio Shack used to sell one. Shakespeara sells one. Maxrad sells one. A bunch of other manucturers sell them, and most of them sell them for less money than the Traintenna. (Unless, somehow, having the word "Train" in the name makes it worth spending extra money just for the name!).
Do you even have a Traintenna????

Do you really think all antennas are created equal and all that matters is height?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: In my 13 years of scanning experience, I've found that to be the furthest thing from the truth. Same thing with scanners. My VX-150 with a Diamond RH77CA at ground level gets waaaay better railband reception than any wideband scanner/antenna combination I've ever had, even my base station rooftops.
Antennas are pretty simple. I'm sure we've all seen them made from coat hangers and seen rabbit ears covered with aluminum foil. They're basic science, but not rocket science. Matching length to frequency is the best way to improve reception. They're simple enough that anybody could make one themselves. One brand vs. another is mostly just smoke. I suppose we're all free to pay whatever we want though. Perceived value is an interesting thing.
RR Pass Collector

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

I just bought a Smiley 5/8 wave handheld antenna with a frequency center of 160 mhz for my ICOM amateur handheld. Price wasn't bad, $21. For a good handheld antenna that's about the price you're going to pay. I much prefer the 'rubber duck' style of antenna as opposed to the longer, skinnier design, but most 'ducks' that come with scanners and hams are pretty much worthless IMO.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

hoborich wrote:The closer you can cut an antenna to a specific frequency, the better it will perform. Most antennas are cut to the middle of the range of frequencies it is intended to receive.
True. But the test I performed with two different length whips showed a negligible difference. And because of that, I chose the less dorky, black and shorter whip even if it does sacrifice a fraction of reception range.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

I've never understood the need for more range on a railroad scanner. I already hear enough trains that I never see.

TomCat4680
Railroadfan...fan

hoborich wrote:I've never understood the need for more range on a railroad scanner. I already hear enough trains that I never see.
Well maybe if you had your own scanner and a good antenna you wouldn't have to be one of those annoying idiots in Durand that does nothing but ask me when the next train is coming over and over. :lol:

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Well maybe if you had your own scanner and a good antenna you wouldn't have to be one of those annoying idiots in Durand that does nothing but ask me when the next train is coming over and over.
You obviously have me confused with one of your friends. I was referring to the downriver Detroit area where we hear trains on the Wabash, Lincoln Secondary, NS Detroit lines, Oakwood yard, Livernois yard, Shoreline Sub, CN dispatcher, NS dispatcher, Conrail Dispatcher, South Yard, Flat Rock yard, and occasionally Windsor. :wink:

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

I just got it on Thursday and it works great!

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Huelsy'sTrainBlog wrote:I just got it on Thursday and it works great!
Wait, so it took you three weeks to get it?! Not exactly the fastest service from "DPD Productions". :roll:

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

They ran out they said.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

They ran out they said.
"They said", being the operative words here. :lol:

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big Frank »

J T wrote:
Huelsy'sTrainBlog wrote:I just bought the TrainTenna from DPD productions, does anyone have one and what do they think of it?
I have one. The long silver whip was a little too dorky looking for me, so I attached an old 22" black radio shack whip I found in my closet. I compared the reception between the two and the difference was so minimal that I decided to keep the shorter whip on there. The long, silver whip just screams "DORK!" :lol:
it only screams dork if your driving around in a hatch back import that begs for a homeless gang bang to be performed inside of it cause my antenna config looks sweet on my truck thank you very much
Beating Up Foamer's and Rail Nerds Since 1981... I h8 u all!!!!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Big Frank wrote: it only screams dork if your driving around in a hatch back import that begs for a homeless gang bang to be performed inside of it cause my antenna config looks sweet on my truck thank you very much
:lol: Don't make me sick that Chris guy (fb) on you. :twisted: