Box Car Logo Repaints

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Box Car Logo Repaints

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

CSX has painted the first box car logo repaint at Huntington with some enhancements on the logo inside the bracket. Number is SD70Mac 4719. Still has the small logo bracket on the nose, but the text is slightly larger. It may yet be changed to the old style logo before mass repaintings begin. Should be released for service in the next day or two.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: Box Car Logo Repaints

Unread post by Y@ »

Finally! About time those ugly Mac's get new paint.
Bottom text.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Not including the new railcar logo 4719, these SD70Mac units have been painted recently:

4706,4714,4751,4754,4787,4794,4801,4802,4804,4810,4813,4814, plus SD70ACe units 4832 & 4834. They all need paint from their faded EMD delivery paint.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Bob M. wrote:CSX has painted the first box car logo repaint at Huntington with some enhancements on the logo inside the bracket. Number is SD70Mac 4719. Still has the small logo bracket on the nose, but the text is slightly larger. It may yet be changed to the old style logo before mass repaintings begin. Should be released for service in the next day or two.
Can't say that I like the logo. Someone needs to use their imagination.
Norm

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Norm wrote:Can't say that I like the logo. Someone needs to use their imagination.
Looks like somethin a bunch of old white guys getting drunk, smoking cigars, and playing poker would have come up with. The sad thing is they probably spent a lot of money doing market research, studies, test groups, polling, etc. before they came up with that lame logo.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

AARR wrote:
Norm wrote:Can't say that I like the logo. Someone needs to use their imagination.
Looks like somethin a bunch of old white guys getting drunk, smoking cigars, and playing poker would have come up with. The sad thing is they probably spent a lot of money doing market research, studies, test groups, polling, etc. before they came up with that lame logo.
I am in total agreement on what Norm and AARR said about these new Box Car Logo's on Locomotives. Looks ok on railcars, company signs and paperwork etc, but not on locomotives. For every "one" that likes it, there are "nine" that don't. At least on 4719, they made the "CSX" within the brackets on the nose larger than what GE did on the 950-999 and 3000-3064 group that were delivered new.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Bob M. wrote:
AARR wrote:
I am in total agreement on what Norm and AARR said about these new Box Car Logo's on Locomotives. Looks ok on railcars, company signs and paperwork etc, but not on locomotives. For every "one" that likes it, there are "nine" that don't. At least on 4719, they made the "CSX" within the brackets on the nose larger than what GE did on the 950-999 and 3000-3064 group that were delivered new.
I like it as a foamer who says they can say they saw something "rare" :mrgreen:

Same deal with the YN1 -- ugly, but worth serious railfanning points :wink:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

YN1 was hardly ugly, and I love the boxcar logo on engines. Looks much better than plain YN3.

Of course, YN2 was and always will be the best CSX scheme.
Bottom text.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

My wife who works in advertising and marketing thinks the bracket logo is brilliant.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

CSX has never had any imagination when it comes to paint schemes. Period.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Mr. Tops wrote:CSX has never had any imagination when it comes to paint schemes. Period.
How about CP? or UP? As a matter of fact, I don't think many of the major railroads, including Class 2s put much effort into their schemes. Maybe KCS did some, and BNSF's look good, but the rest are basically a base coat with a few minor touches like a logo or secondary stripe.

NS: Black w/ a logo
CSX: Blue w/ a logo and secondary color on the ends
BNSF: Orange w/ a logo
UP: Yellow w/ a logo and gray & red stripes (larger units have the flag, which should get some style points)
KCS: 8)
CP: Red w/ logo
CN: Black w/ logo, stripes

My point is most large railroads have little imagination when it comes to paint schemes. But who can blame them? The paint is really there just to protect the metal.....

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

As an advertsing/marketing student, I think the logo is quite clever. Also was clearly not meant to please railfans :lol:
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

SD80MAC wrote:Also was clearly not meant to please railfans :lol:
Touche' :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

MQT3001 wrote:
Mr. Tops wrote:CSX has never had any imagination when it comes to paint schemes. Period.
How about CP? or UP? As a matter of fact, I don't think many of the major railroads, including Class 2s put much effort into their schemes. Maybe KCS did some, and BNSF's look good, but the rest are basically a base coat with a few minor touches like a logo or secondary stripe.

NS: Black w/ a logo
CSX: Blue w/ a logo and secondary color on the ends
BNSF: Orange w/ a logo
UP: Yellow w/ a logo and gray & red stripes (larger units have the flag, which should get some style points)
KCS: 8)
CP: Red w/ logo
CN: Black w/ logo, stripes

My point is most large railroads have little imagination when it comes to paint schemes. But who can blame them? The paint is really there just to protect the metal.....
BNSF H1/2/3...attractive color, not a plain scheme like others. I'd prefer H1.
CN, eh...the CN North America scheme was creative.
CP's scheme sucks any more. Bring the beaver back or even the dual flag!
CSX...what are we going to change our colors to today? I want the boxcar logo patched on a YN1 unit. :P
KCS grey...hell, just leave the units in primer, don't even waste money on paint.
KCS Southern Belle...speaks for itself. Classy.
NS...has never changed, excepted for adding the horsehead and stripe. I would call it simple, classic.
UP...hasn't changed much either except adding flag and wings. Atleast there's something to look at.

But yes, railroads generally don't care what the railfan community thinks of their schemes. Today, it is about saving money, being efficient and getting more out of less. No more fancy, attractive paint schemes, just one or two colors. No more cool designs, just a trademark font. But, to each his own; the above are just my opinions.

But you don't even think Class II railroads put much effort into their locomotives? Look at any of the recent Class II's...Wisconsin Central, Wisconsin Southern, Iowa Interstate, NYSW, PAL, W&LE, etc. Just a sampling, but all are sharp schemes.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Brian Gessel photos:

I like the bigger font.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

8)

Why can't all the 'MACs look like that! I hope they continue repainting them like this

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I like that a lot. The 70MAC wears it better than the ES44AC, IMO.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Looks good on a MAC, also can't help but notice Spongebob Squarecab 4044 sitting with its white cab on the 2nd photo.

CF&E East
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CF&E East »

Wow, I think that looks sweet!