G&W accquires RA

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: G&W accquires RA

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:This speculation of streamlining over these railroads, now under the same parent company, is for now more or less pointless because these railroads still have their interchange agreements.
Agreements can be renegotiated though. New traffic patterns can develop, and new operating efficiencies can be realized with this acquisition. When your are a much bigger company, with more traffic sources, you bring more to the table to bargain with. However, you have to be careful of the inefficiencies that result from being a larger company too. They would be foolish not to look at the operations of the smaller parts, and try to not streamline things to some extent. CSX and NS realized this with the break up of Conrail. They now have much larger networks, much more leverage, and more bargaining power with customers.

With the example of the T&P, and C&IM around Peoria. If traffic from those points are bound to the east coast, G&W can now bypass a UP or BNSF connection to Chicago and connection to CSX or NS, and keep the car on G&W properties for delivery direct to NS at Logansport, or CSX at Reynolds, IN. They can eliminate one 'interchange' at Peoria, gain more of the haul, and make more money for the 'parent'. Suddenly they're going from a 30 or 40 mile haul, to a 200 mile haul, with revenue split two ways, instead of three.

If MQT, by itself, were to go to CSX and try to renegotiate their agreements, they don't have much leverage. When G&W goes to the table now, they have a lot more on the table to offer and leverage with. In so far as interchange agreements amongst the smaller parts, those can be re-negotiated too. From a customer standpoint, they can now go to the table and argue that they shouldn't be getting charged 3 interchange fees, when 2 of the railroads are under the same corporate umbrella. Holding company or not, its all the same company despite the set up of different operating departments. CSX has different Divisions, all with their own management structure. On a division you have the 'sub-divisions' each with their own crew budgets, field managers, MOW budgets, etc. It basically operates as separate railroads, different budgets, etc but it still works together. Just because it has a "MQT" sub lettering under the cab, doesn't mean it has to be operated as a separate property from everything else. It may in so far as equipment, etc, but overall you could have greater efficiencies though cooperating, car routings, etc.

Just like a Class One, it is all the same pair of pants, its just different pockets the money goes into and out of. In the end, its all G&W money.

While G&W is just a 'holding company' all being under the same umbrella makes it easier to move traffic over adjoining properties. It would be in the company's best interest for 'co-operation' amongst the smaller parts. Plus, you don't have G&W negotiating with Watco, or RA, or whomever, its G&W operating under its own umbrella and its in its best interest to come to agreements amongst itself.
MQT3001 wrote:Connecting up all these small railroads doesn't really make MORE money, and in the process would likely tick off their Class I neighbors, which could cause some financial loss.
As far as making 'more' money, it does make 'more' money when they are owned by the same company. Less revenue being divided up amongst the different parties. If moving a car from point A to point B involved 3 railroads before, and now you own 2 of them, you're going to be making 'more' money on that car. Despite that everything is a 'paper barrier' now, the overall parent company is making more money off that car if they have a larger part of the haul. As before, its a bigger pair of pants now, with more pockets. If can now competitively move a car from point A to point B without having to involve another party, then you will have additional revenue coming your way. A lot of interchange agreements aren't exactly 'fair' to all parties. G&W can now re-negotiate rates and revenue distribution to its advantage, as they aren't the small pie in the room with a 500lbs gorilla. They may not be a 500lbs gorilla themselves, but the do have a little more power overall then they did.

One other thing I see DAILY concerns interchanges between carriers. Each uses a different computer system, and if the systems don't 'talk' to each other correctly, billing information doesn't translate, etc then you have a car that gets mis-routed, lost, or ends up bouncing back and forth until someone fixes the problem. That *usually* doesn't happen until a customer calls and says "Why has my car gone in between XXX and YYY three times?" By eliminating the possibility of errors in billing between parties, you're going to have some cost savings right there. May not be much, but it will add up over time.

Your analogy of Watco, RA, etc not being 'railroads' but holding companies speaks for just about every 'railroad' out there. CSX has owned has owned barge lines, container lines, pipelines, ocean port facilities, etc. Diversification occurred in the 70's and 80's when the railroads were looking for ways to help off set the losses they were incurring by running a 'railroad'. CSX is now getting into land development, specifically customer sites. I believe CSX sold off most of their 'non railroad' interests over the last 15 years. In the case of the ICG, they sold a lot of the real estate the railroad had, and diversified. Chicago Northwestern did the same thing, and in the 70's became 'employee owned' when they sold off the operating portion because of the excessive losses. IC became a separate company again when its 'parent' sold off the operating division, and kept the 'other' investments they had acquired.

In most of those cases, the 'parent' didn't buy up other railroads, so G&W, Rail America, etc are unique in that they can get some rationalization in management structure, facilities, car routing, etc.

Practice Safe CSX

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

CSX_CO that explains it very well for me. MQT3001 yours also explained it to. Thanks to both of you for taking the time to put it in very easy to understand terms. That was some very good reading. I already knew some of it, but that pretty much says it all. 8) Thanks again.

PW

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

bnsf8000 wrote:CSX_CO that explains it very well for me.
Same here, I enjoyed reading your explanation CSX. Just don't make me take a test on what you wrote :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

G&W should have some advantages in negotiating due to their size and apparently sound financial standing. Certainly agreements between G&W owned properties, even if run as seperate divisions, are going to be greatly simplified. There should also be some greater economy of scale for things like locos, vehicles, fuel, parts, MOW needs, etc, as well as streamlining computer needs, marketing, billing, dispatching, and administration. Hopefully they will also be customer oriented and aggressive about developing new business.

Does G&W do most of their own MOW work, or do they contract out a lot of it to a 3rd party?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/reg ... EetnhB5mK0

The Surface Transportation Board has decided to weigh the appliction to merge RA & G&W, saying it considers the deal "a minor transaction."
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/fre ... Go2IU3R5po

G&W has completed the process of acquiring RA, but they're still waiting on the STB decision.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

From some G&W paperwork I saw today:
We have also determined that the St. Albans Dispatching Center will remain essentially
as it is today in St. Albans, Vermont, and likewise the customer service center in Vassar,
Michigan, will remain open post-integration.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Heard that the dispatching will stay in Vermont. Ohio Central will be dispatched there from what I've heard too. Now supposedly Vasser will stay, but more for the smaller lines. The Ohio lines will get a customer service office in the new Ohio office, where ever that might be....

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

midland sub wrote:The Ohio lines will get a customer service office in the new Ohio office, where ever that might be....
DELTA YARD TRAILER!!! :lol:
Bottom text.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Y@ wrote:
midland sub wrote:The Ohio lines will get a customer service office in the new Ohio office, where ever that might be....
DELTA YARD TRAILER!!! :lol:
Should customers with complaints consult the dumpster next to the trailer? :twisted:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=251592
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

BOHICA
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BOHICA »

They should prolly just go straight to the dumpster...

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

Done Deal. All "h.e.-double hockey sticks" to happen 12/28/12. Glad I’m on vacation.
STB

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

i995impalass wrote:Done Deal. All "h.e.-double hockey sticks" to happen 12/28/12. Glad I’m on vacation.
STB
Good we can get the 3001 painted so it looks good for once and we can send the caboose up to Gulliver since they are short a shoving platform up there.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Say goodbye to RailAmerica, she's officially gone...

Genesee & Wyoming now operates 111 railroads, with about 15,000 miles of track.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

GWI has begun Website overhauls. The old RA site is still up as of 2-14, but there are now new pages for RA roads.

For example, Marquette Rail:

http://www.gwrr.com/operations/railroad ... te_rail.be

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Why does that map show Lowell to Ionia? And what is that crazy scribbled double line up to Fremont?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

J T wrote:Why does that map show Lowell to Ionia? And what is that crazy scribbled double line up to Fremont?
Because the people that made that map have no idea what their company owns and what it doesn't. I'm sure they've never been to Michigan and probably never will. :lol: likely going off some weird old map too. They still might own the ROW from Lowell to Ionia and might've gotten confused.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Thought I'd share these, it looks like they have taken the time to make the MMRR, GRE and MS their own seperate logos, along with MQT and HESR, of course.

Anyone else noticing a theme here? :lol: I doubt we'll ever see anything but MMRR, HESR and MQT on the sides of engines but you never know.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

SD80MAC wrote:Thought I'd share these, it looks like they have taken the time to make the MMRR, GRE and MS their own seperate logos, along with MQT and HESR, of course.
Well I'll be darn, for all these years I thought it was Muskegon Shore :oops:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Old Hogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Old Hogger »

SD80MAC wrote:Thought I'd share these, it looks like they have taken the time to make the MMRR, GRE and MS their own seperate logos, along with MQT and HESR, of course.

Anyone else noticing a theme here? :lol: I doubt we'll ever see anything but MMRR, HESR and MQT on the sides of engines but you never know.
The way G&W swaps locos around, you'll probably see OC, BAYL, HAL, etc here in Michigan and the MQT, MMRR, etc. in Alabama and Georgia. :)