LSRC Special Move to Gaylord

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

LSRC Special Move to Gaylord

Unread post by AARR »

KC caught LSRC hauling a string of its blue aggregate hoppers to A&L in Gaylord the other day. They are probably going to be scrapped but I have seen those types of hoppers used in scrap service on other railroads.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Re: LSRC Special Move to Gaylord

Unread post by CAT345C »

I'd say scrap cars going to be scrapped. A&L does bid rail car scrapping from time to time and will travel to off site locations for railcar scrapping or anything of large metal hauls.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

They are there for scrap. There was a string of the same hoppers at OMNISOURCE in Bay city a few weeks ago

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

JDavis21835 wrote:They are there for scrap. There was a string of the same hoppers at OMNISOURCE in Bay city a few weeks ago
Loading scrap or being scrapped? If they are being scrapped, I assume it's not a good future with traffic for Lafarge in Alpena?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

To my knowledge, those cars were never used in LaFarge service anyways, Chris.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

LSRC wrote:To my knowledge, those cars were never used in LaFarge service anyways, Chris.
We have a winner...LaFarge has not shipped stone from Alpena in decades. There used to be shuttle service from Paxton to Alpena, but even that ended long before the LSRC got these cars in particular. IDK, because it all happened before I really started paying attention to this stuff, but didn't LSRC buy these cars knowing lots of them were junk? They fixed up a few dozen using the collective bunch and they're just now scrapping the rest. I'm not sure on that, but I remember reading an OLD thread about it some time ago.

Lafarge only gets open-top hoppers of Gypsum, but those have always used the black hoppers. The PI transload uses the red and block ones, and Specification uses the blue ones. At least that is how I've always seen it.

Alpena will ship out stuff based on current demand. The housing market is still really crappy so not much. Inbound stuff competes with truck, so yes from time to time that gets yanked by the truckers. I wouldn't be worried about Alpena just yet.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

The blue stone hoppers are in GENERAL SERVICE.. meaning they can and do go whereever LSRC sends them. Most, if not all the white former Bute andaconda and pacific , black former BN and red Former MKT, former D&M hoppers have been or are being or will be scrapped in Bay City at Omnisource. to date they've scrapped well over 100 cars. The blue cars could be up to gaylord for a number of things, Storage, ballast for a problem or derailment area, scrap, though scrap isn't likely as it'd damage the supports inside these cars. I supposed its possible A&L is scrapping them, but i wouldn't know why as omnisource has and is still doing the other cars. Even the black newer 343--- series cars are being cut up due to being in really bad shape. LSRC has bought a couple hundred, so i've been told, of the 3 bay ortner hoppers and those will replace any cars cut up. Wish

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

CAT345C wrote:I'd say scrap cars going to be scrapped.
Will there then be scrap cars hauling the scrap cars that were scrapped? Image
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

J T wrote:
CAT345C wrote:I'd say scrap cars going to be scrapped.
Will there then be scrap cars hauling the scrap cars that were scrapped? Image
scrap the whole thing railroads are inefficient.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Sounds like a bunch of scrap to me.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

My post intended as the cars are scrap, junk, garbage, crap, likely going to be scrapped.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e