So just how lame is the new Fostoria Rail Park?

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

Re: So just how lame is the new Fostoria Rail Park?

Unread post by lakeshoredave »

can you see all of the trains now without having to move around?

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

lakeshoredave wrote:can you see all of the trains now without having to move around?
Yes.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

cbehr91 wrote:
lakeshoredave wrote:can you see all of the trains now without having to move around?
Yes.
In the daytime, yes, but we still had to move over to Columbus Avenue along the B&O to see the trains that took the southeast transfer at night. Chessie Forever and I made our yearly 48 hour no sleep trip to Fostoria/Deshler last week, and join others who think the new railpark is fantastic. Have been there every year at least once for 14 years and what an improvement from parking by the old Amtrak Station/bar, along Poplar Street, or on Columbus Avenue along the NS/C&O, or down by the B&O. We used to moved around frequently day and night, so as to see and video ALL trains up close, but spent 90% of our 26 hours there within the confines of the park.

Yes, if you were parked by the pavilion and bathrooms, you were good to see the C&O and NS action, but had to drive or walk down to the B&O to get the trains up close there, but that was for video work, not for viewing. Everything can be seen clearly daytime without moving if one wanted to just watch the trains. It was nice to have a walk through gate by Columbus Avenue, so you could outside the park to get other views of NS & C&O trains, even though train crews have yelled at some for doing so. Like, duh, thats why the gate is there.

Include us, with others that the scanner feed needs to be by the pavilion/bathrooms, not at the Warehouse across the street on Columbus Avenue, plus the fact they need to build another road within the park, with parking areas that takes you closer to the C&O. As far as fine restaurants, we go to watch trains, not to dine out. As far as decent motels, we go to watch trains for 48 hours, not sleep, but it would be nice if they had a fast food restaurant nearer to the park. As far as Fostoria being a "dumpy town" has no bearing on us because once again, we are there to see trains, not enjoy the town proper.

While here, we arrived at the Railpark on Monday afternoon at 4:30pm and stayed until Tuesday at 6:30pm. In those 26 hours, with no sleep, we saw 114 trains. 84 of those were on CSX and 30 on NS as we logged in 180 locomotive sightings on CSX and 51 sightings on NS. 231 locomotive sightings at Fostoria in 26 hours is not to shabby. Of the CSX sightings, 146 were CSX. 31 foreign and 3 lease units. On NS, 40 were NS and 11 foreign.

Highlight was seeing KCS 4164 (along with Santa Fe warbonnet 641) on K040 at 09:45 on CSX, and 7 minutes later had KCS 3967 (with NS 9132) on NS train 146.

Moving over to Deshler by 7:30pm Tuesday night, and staying 21 hours until Wednesday afternoon at 4:30pm (which was our longest stay ever at Deshler, saw 77 trains, and sighting 151 locomotives, 114 CSX, 34 foreign & 3 lease. The combined total of 382 locomotive sightings in 48 hours was great. Thats about three months worth if I stayed at home.
Last edited by BL2-1843 on Fri May 30, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lakeshoredave »

wow what a report that is. how much did you sleep afterwards?

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

lakeshoredave wrote:wow what a report that is. how much did you sleep afterwards?
ALL NIGHT LONG, for three consecutive nights afterwards, and for me, that is an extreme rarity to do on just one night.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

What happened to the OP?
Brett

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

What happened to the OP?
Brett

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

bdconrail29 wrote:What happened to the OP?
Same as last time you asked, hasn't logged in:
Last visited:
Mon May 26, 2014 9:56 pm
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

CSX Q109
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSX Q109 »

Yeah The new park haves been busy with rail fans in and out about every day and it haves been packed on the weekends. Once the state hands it over to the city of fostoria a scanner and wifi will be added to the park. Also the park does have parking for RV,s. Fostoria,s new park is In my option the best one around. I have heard from a lot of railfans already that they have told me the new Fostoria park is better than the one in rochelle and that Fostoria is haves more trains than rochelle and that was before the railpark was built. I ve never been to rochelle so I do not know I am only going on what I was told. But if you have not been to the Fostoria rail park yet come and check it out and see what you think. It only took over 10 years to get it but at least they built it. Its a good thing to see happen for the city of Fostoria. I would much rather see some good news for the town instead of any bad news.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

~Z~ wrote:
Last visited:
Probably scared him off.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

cbehr91 wrote:
~Z~ wrote:
Last visited:
Probably scared him off.
Everybody that joins this site is chased off

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

We got to the park last Thursday and had a very good time. Views are so much more open now. We think they have a done a wonderful job so far. I think we saw 43 trains while we were there. Love being able to go over by the old B&O now. We even like the look view right down to the diamond to the west. We actually thought that view to the diamond would make a great model railroad backdrop with the ADM elevator in the distance. They've got more things they would like to do, but great job so far. :D

PW

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Everybody that joins this site is chased off
They tried. But I'm still here. :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".