Newbie Question: What's a 'Foamer'?

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Re: Newbie Question: What's a 'Foamer'?

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

All you guys saying what a foamer is...It must take a foamer to know what one is...

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

The most simple description of a foamer is someone who gets so excited when they see a train, they foam at the mouth. That's it. Often they speak so fast and excitedly you can see a little foam at the corners of their mouth. Nothing a drink of water wouldn't fix.

If I worked for the railroad, I would dislike most railfans anyways since a good majority think they are above the laws and entitled to trespass for any reason. I don't care if you know the horsepower and paint tint of XXXX locomotive, get off the property so I don't have to worry about hitting your ass. The same people that "feel bad for an engineer" when they hit someone are the same guys that stand too close to equipment. That gets the crews excited too for no other reason but for some railfan to "get the shot"
Patrick Welch

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Ok then, sorry everyone who has more than one picture of a dash 9, you're all foamers...
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

swc
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by swc »

[ ="DT&I"]Ok then, sorry everyone who has more than one picture of a dash 9, you're all foamers.OVER &OVER &OVER&OVER.LOL

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

I don't care anymore. I only like a few railfans here, the rest are all foamers to me.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

FOOD FIGHT :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

hoborich wrote:FOOD FIGHT :lol:
Now with foam!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

There also are GERFs. Glassy Eyed RailFans.
Not that obvious

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

swc wrote:a foamer is ...or my favorite a plain freight car.
Bull. It's hard to build accurate models of equipment without decent photos. It's hard to build an accurate model of just about anything without reference material, hence the reason people take photos of the equipment.
~ Charles W.

DBFanatic
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DBFanatic »

MKT_fan11 wrote:
Bull. It's hard to build accurate models of equipment without decent photos. It's hard to build an accurate model of just about anything without reference material, hence the reason people take photos of the equipment.
I have to agree here, though I also might consider myself a foamer, depending on which of several definitions I use.

When I started the roadbed construction of my German-themed layout, I realized I had no good reference material on the roadbed color(s), shape, weathering, width, etc. On my next trip overseas I took dozens of pictures of just, well, track, both mainline and branch line, in stations, out in the country, heavily trafficked, mostly abandoned, etc. The result? It still looks crappy, but at least I have reference material on what it *should* have looked like! :mrgreen:

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

DBFanatic wrote:The result? It still looks crappy, but at least I have reference material on what it *should* have looked like! :mrgreen:
I am glad to see someone else whose layout fits the description of mine :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

DBFanatic wrote:
I have to agree here, though I also might consider myself a foamer, depending on which of several definitions I use.

When I started the roadbed construction of my German-themed layout, I realized I had no good reference material on the roadbed color(s), shape, weathering, width, etc. On my next trip overseas I took dozens of pictures of just, well, track, both mainline and branch line, in stations, out in the country, heavily trafficked, mostly abandoned, etc. The result? It still looks crappy, but at least I have reference material on what it *should* have looked like! :mrgreen:
Is that a foamer or a modeler? I would think they are 2 different things. A foamer reminds me of my 4 year son. He gets SO excited about something that he physically cant contain himself. Now a 4 year old is one thing, but a 15+ year old?
Patrick Welch

Gadfly
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gadfly »

Proto48Patrick wrote:
DBFanatic wrote:

Is that a foamer or a modeler? I would think they are 2 different things. A foamer reminds me of my 4 year son. He gets SO excited about something that he physically cant contain himself. Now a 4 year old is one thing, but a 15+ year old?
It was applied by us mostly to the overwrought, overly pushy ones that asked a passel of questions, trespassed on property or equipment , or made a nuisance of themselves. These are in the minority, but they are out there. I encountered them in my rail career, and I'm sad to say, we did make quite lot of fun of them. You know the ones....the ones who showed up religiously at our facility taking endless photos of freight drags and wearing overalls and red bandanas. They had patches of railroads covering themselves, and they had fake "railroad" pocket watches. The worst ones were the ones who tried to tell US that we were doing the job wrong when we had just received instructions from the boss! When we didn't do it their way, you'd think we violated the US Constitution, to hear them spout their "knowledge".

I once had this 15 y/o kid that annoyed me at an outlying station with endless questions, and even going so far as to FIND my house and show up there! :( :shock: I "shooed" him away when I'd had enough. He even "bird dogged" me aboard a steam excursion, and I, disgusted, got off at a water stop and climbed aboard one of the F7's adjacent to the steam engine to "hide" from him. :roll: He hunted for me to the end of the line!

Most aren't that bad, but there enough "loo-loos" to warrant the insult. I see a few that could only be described as strange! :wink:

GF

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

DT&I wrote:I don't care anymore. I only like a few railfans here, the rest are all foamers to me.
Just embrace the term, kid.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

I just gotta say this. The next time the NKP 765 leads, just go to a busy junction or town where it will pass, and this will all make sense to you, what a foamer is.
Brett

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I've never once said to my engineer..."oh look a railfan!" It's always "theres a foamer".
Either way this thread is hilarious. I like trains and could be called a foamer too I've taken my fair share of pictures.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

Unread post by legostudios34 »

MKT_fan11 wrote:
I shoot a lot of freight car pictures, and I don't consider myself a foamer. Some for modeling reference, others because the cars are interesting, and sometimes just because I want to take freight car pictures. I shoot digital, and electrons are free. :P
Baxter Barnes. 21. Alabama.
Meow. Now you know how to speak cat. -Flickr

brysonda
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brysonda »

Well, not ALL electrons are free. Indeed, many are fairly strongly attracted to atoms. :twisted: