NS Heritage Fleet Thread

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Re: NS Heritage Fleet Thread

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Erie unit. Wonder why the passenger colors and not freight colors. I believe this unit and the SOU unit are the only ones in passenger colors.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

They probably went with whatever was 'prettiest', most eye-catching, and most memorable.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

That is nice!
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Erie unit. Wonder why the passenger colors and not freight colors. I believe this unit and the SOU unit are the only ones in passenger colors.
I had my doubts about this one when I saw the concept drawing, but this is easily my second favorite out of the ACe's so far.
Bottom text.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

I don't know what the power will be for this "Exhibit Train" but it's coming to Michigan sometime this year! Also, I wish I could make it down to N.C. this July! Too bad there aren't groups headed there from Michigan!!!!
http://www.kirotv.com/news/ap/transport ... our/nPCHN/
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Spencer is going to be "foamtard fest 2012." Staying FAR away from there.
Bottom text.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Y@ wrote:Spencer is going to be "foamtard fest 2012." Staying FAR away from there.
While I agree it would be THE spot of the year to be if you were a photographer and could stand the foam.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

TrainWatcher wrote:NS Exhibit Car dicussion is here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24518&p=226882&hili ... it#p226882

Thanx for the link! I usually search the site Thoroughly to make sure it's not posted yet! Today I didn't! :roll:
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

TrainWatcher wrote:
Y@ wrote:Spencer is going to be "foamtard fest 2012." Staying FAR away from there.
While I agree it would be THE spot of the year to be if you were a photographer and could stand the foam.
No, if you're a true "photographer," you'd catch them at work, not sitting in a cramped museum.
Bottom text.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

TrainWatcher wrote:
it will be like this:

times 4 :lol:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Ohiorailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ohiorailfan »

Who cares if it's in a cramped museum. It's going to be a once in lifetime opportunity.

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

Ohiorailfan wrote:Who cares if it's in a cramped museum. It's going to be a once in lifetime opportunity.
A true photographer is always looking for the "once" in a lifetime shot. Being able to have a chance to all of the units in one shot would truly be a once in alifetime shot. I agree with you Ohiorailfan. I just am very disappointed that I burnt my vacation time up already this year.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I'd rather work for my shot than spend a bunch of money to have it sitting right in front of me.
Bottom text.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

I try as much as possible to avoid massive amounts of foam, it just is less fun to shoot trains, I wouldn't pay money to get a possibly average shot when I could go to a curve or bridge and get a nice shot for free. IMO
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

NOT to poke anyone in the eye. But............for those who cannot / unable to get there , there's always the net to get to see the photos. It would be nice to see them in person but a picture is worth a million words ( todays rates :D ).

CSX Q109
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSX Q109 »

M.D.Bentley wrote:NOT to poke anyone in the eye. But............for those who cannot / unable to get there , there's always the net to get to see the photos. It would be nice to see them in person but a picture is worth a million words ( todays rates :D ).
And plus you aint got to fight the crowds. And besides that its going to save you a lot of gas money and ware on your car.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:
Bellevue_Guy wrote:I like that they moved the NS out of the stripe area, it looked too bunched up IMO.
I actually think the NS in by the number made it stand out less, as it just blended in with everything going on. Maybe that is why it got repainted.
Honestly given the attention to detail on other units, I am quite dissapointed in the NKP unit. The missing NYC&STL, the missing yellow on the handrails tha all NKP units had, all but a hanfull of NKP units in that paint job had four stripes bellow the three wraparound stripes, also all NKP units either had a solid yellow poilet, or stripes on them. On second thought the relocated NS on the noes may be a attempt to make it look like the NYC&STL, and if that is the case then good.

For those who will (and I know they will) tell me "Just be happy they are doing it" or "This is the first one". Sorry but the NKP paint has been painted on over a couple hundured units already, its not like there is no standard for painting one. If this was a brand new paint job never done before, then ok, but it hardley is. NS has touted this a taking the origonal paint job and applying it to a new loco, but its just a medicore attempt at that.
They did repaint it to mimic the NYC&StL lettering on the real units. The smaller numbers were more accurate to NKP units.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJ&ESDM809 »

The Conrail unit is also scheduled to be touched up. The numbers on the cab will be re-done with proper Conrail font rather than the incorrect NS font it currently has. The "Conrail" on the front will also be slightly enlarged.
Robby Gragg - Proud fan of the EJ&E Railway

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Erie unit. Wonder why the passenger colors and not freight colors. I believe this unit and the SOU unit are the only ones in passenger colors.
NS 8102 PRR is in passenger colors also.
I agree with the idea that selection was made on the basis of what was eye grabbing. Had the PRR locomotive been done in the freight scheme, most people would think a black locomotive got out of the shop with no white NS stripes.