MMRR Z627 Log

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Re: MMRR Z627 Log

Unread post by csx801 »

Does 3803 (GP35m Kiamichi unit) have a date with the torch?

I drove past yesterday and found her sitting out front of the barn in front of 3801 with many parts missing and pieces of equipment sitting around it.

Last nights consist had 3885, and 3839 with a 3 box set out for bay (not sure of the pickup) and a cut of sandies. No Webb and nothing from Fremont.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

They're both junk but I think 3803 was in worse condition than 01. Doesn't surprise me that they're gonna torch it.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Z627-17 southbound through Grand haven 11:40pm

Set out 4 Arlington's (Shape) and 1 for bay
picked up 4 (shape)

southbound consist:

4 shape
7 sandies
4 Webb
1 sandie

All Sand came from the north end.

Caught them after working Webb. I got a decent shot of them coming back. They built the outbound and tied up by 1pm. No work at Norton shores today and nothing from Fremont.

I also checked up on the Kiamichi unit on henry. 3801 (not 3803) is the one with the work being done. I Still can't confirm whether or not its got a date with the torch. It looks like they are taking pieces and parts from it (sorry still no picture)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

csx801 wrote:Set out 4 Arlington's (Shape) and 1 for bay
Whats the difference between an Arlington and a Bay?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

AARR wrote:
csx801 wrote:Set out 4 Arlington's (Shape) and 1 for bay
Whats the difference between an Arlington and a Bay?
There isn't that much difference between the two. They are both High cube box cars, the only noticeable difference is the Arlingtons are slightly larger in size and the trucks are not as close to the ends of the car as Other High Cubes (only by a small amount)

Its often hard to tell the difference as to what is going where because both Shape and Bay can get a wide variety of High Boxes

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

csx801 wrote:
AARR wrote:Whats the difference between an Arlington and a Bay?
There isn't that much difference between the two. They are both High cube box cars, the only noticeable difference is the Arlingtons are slightly larger in size and the trucks are not as close to the ends of the car as Other High Cubes (only by a small amount)

Its often hard to tell the difference as to what is going where because both Shape and Bay can get a wide variety of High Boxes
At one time Bay was going to get newsprint for newspaper plants in Grand Rapids (Walker), Kalamazoo, and Muskegon. I think they may have received a few cars but the newsprint business went to truck and of course Shapes business has skyrocketed.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... ssageBlock

Here is the picture of the work being done on 3801

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Z627-31 southbound through Grand Haven 11:30 with 3839, 3836, 3 box and 23 mixed sand hoppers from both Norton shores and Barry, No Webb and Fremont cars went out on Thursday.

The carman had a great conversation over the radio with the conductor about a boater who did not want to stop for them closing the bridge.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

3801 and 3803 are both being worked on. One is being stripped and will likely be scrapped afterwards while the other is getting the best usable parts from both units in order to make an engine that actually runs. Rumor has it it might go northeast of Muskegon when it's done...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Which of the two ran last summer? Might be a clue as to which one might be torched over the other.

Couldn't help but notice the tracks to Gerber are still in at Fremont. Causes one to wonder if they might ever get service again. I wonder if they could ship in stuff like produce? Disclaimer: I am not familiar with the Gerber Property up there
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I believe when Gerber got rail service they only got glass jars shipped in boxcars. When they changed from glass to plastic they stopped getting rail service IIRC.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

SD80MAC wrote:I believe when Gerber got rail service they only got glass jars shipped in boxcars. When they changed from glass to plastic they stopped getting rail service IIRC.
Outbound baby food in glass jars in insulated boxes

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Late update:

MMRR Z627-07 southbound:

GRE 3839, MMRR 3836,
2 shape, 1 Bay (2 in (shape) 3 out),
7 Nugent (barry)
3 Fremont (1 grain, 1 nitrogen tank, 1 grain)
5 Webb

They were through grand haven by 11:45. they were held over by the switch until 1 for coal loads.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Raildudes dad wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:I believe when Gerber got rail service they only got glass jars shipped in boxcars. When they changed from glass to plastic they stopped getting rail service IIRC.
Outbound baby food in glass jars in insulated boxes
Shipped 5-9 box cars per day according to Mr Tops. Dok remembers way back when they received coal and rice.

This is another plant that seems something should use rail. Use those new big hi-cube refrigerated box cars and stuff them full, no truck can match that. This was actually proposed. Guess getting a steady supply of said box cars is an issue...or maybe nobody wants to invest in them.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Z627-07
Washington and 7th:

Lake Michigan drive:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

3836 has a new horn! Sounds better than the old whine. Courtesy Bozerabc123
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

So I have heard. I was out in the yard last night when they went south and I was half tempted to jump on a chase. Not a bad sound if I do say so myself.

Short train they had last night! only 2 from Bay / Shape, 6 from Nugent, and 5 from Webb

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

That is the worst sounding horn I've ever heard! :shock: Nothing good about it! Blah!!! Almost sounds like the same horn that was on it, but something went terribly wrong. At least after the train has passed I can still hear the old horn in it. Otherwise, they took a horn of one of the Kiamichi motors and put it on there. If you folks think that is a good sounding horn though, then.......well...I don't know what. But here is a video for you:

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

It almost sounds like a really awful P3 (which I think the Kiamichi's have), but I agree with Tops that that's its regular horn (which IIRC is a Prime 920/RS3L) and something really bad happened to it.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

I prefer the old horn over the way it sounds now. This one has potential, it just needs some serious tuneage!

Could it be off from 3803? I recall it sounding terrible before they let it sit by the barn for 2 years. maybe a tune up? (or down)