NS Heritage Fleet Thread

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: NS Heritage Fleet Thread

Unread post by Ypsi »

I am suprised by the PC unit, I think it looks really good! The "PENN CENTRAL" lettering looks great and so do the mating worms. Now lets see the NYC, PRR, and PC on a train together 8)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

The Penn Central looks great (they all do)! Now, I'm trying to figure out why Erie-Lackawanna was left out, yet Penn Central was chosen! They have both PRR and NYC represented and that merger too! They chose Erie and Delaware, Lackawanna & Western as heritage units but skipped Erie-Lackawanna! I would think that's a better choice than Penn Central! I'd prefer both, but that may've been too many! Any thoughts on this? :?:

(this is the greatest "Heritage Program" of all time though!)
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Robertrains wrote:The Penn Central looks great (they all do)! Now, I'm trying to figure out why Erie-Lackawanna was left out, yet Penn Central was chosen! They have both PRR and NYC represented and that merger too! They chose Erie and Delaware, Lackawanna & Western as heritage units but skipped Erie-Lackawanna! I would think that's a better choice than Penn Central! I'd prefer both, but that may've been too many! Any thoughts on this? :?:

How bout some facts? EL's main line is gone... the decision was made to skip EL and New Haven because NS has less of a connection to those two lines. I can't use the stipulation that they had to still operate the track now as they don't with New Haven anymore. They do have some DL&W and Erie track out east but perhaps they didn't want to count the same line twice or felt EL wasn't as important as PC?
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

ns8401 wrote:
Robertrains wrote:The Penn Central looks great (they all do)! Now, I'm trying to figure out why Erie-Lackawanna was left out, yet Penn Central was chosen! They have both PRR and NYC represented and that merger too! They chose Erie and Delaware, Lackawanna & Western as heritage units but skipped Erie-Lackawanna! I would think that's a better choice than Penn Central! I'd prefer both, but that may've been too many! Any thoughts on this? :?:

How bout some facts? EL's main line is gone... the decision was made to skip EL and New Haven because NS has less of a connection to those two lines. I can't use the stipulation that they had to still operate the track now as they don't with New Haven anymore. They do have some DL&W and Erie track out east but perhaps they didn't want to count the same line twice or felt EL wasn't as important as PC?
If Erie and DL&W have been covered does it really make much sense to do an EL unit?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:I am suprised by the PC unit, I think it looks really good! The "PENN CENTRAL" lettering looks great and so do the mating worms. Now lets see the NYC, PRR, and PC on a train together 8)
Such a train would, no doubt, derail in an unspectacular fashion while slowing moving through a yard. :wink:

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

How inspiring, the use of striping and color to produce a pleasant experience in the eye of the beholder. :roll:

They held this to the end of the run so they didn't have to clean the paint system before spraying the next NS unit.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

SD80MAC wrote:If Erie and DL&W have been covered does it really make much sense to do an EL unit?

I'm trying to figure out why Penn Central was made then! The PRR and NYC locos should cover it too, right?
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I'm still trying to figure out why the IT unit isn't out yet. My NS guy told me it was done yesterday, but nobody else seems to know.
Bottom text.

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

The Penn Central unit is a waste of time...Its about as close to a NS unit as you can get without putting NS on it. Instead it has that PC Stamp of Failure on it.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

That's going to be the most sought-after black locomotive with white trim in the country! I think the PC, despite everything it came to be known as, is very under appreciated. How much other equipment is painted into PC colors? Virtually none. I'm glad they went with the PC - a nice twist on the usual boring NS scheme. That being said, it would have been nice if they went with the early PC logo with the red P (for Pennsylvania!)....although apparently a couple locomotives got red C's for some reason too. Too bad they had to add that white sill stripe....the stealthness of a dirty black PC unit always had a particular draw.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

CharlieX90 wrote:The Penn Central unit is a waste of time...Its about as close to a NS unit as you can get without putting NS on it. Instead it has that PC Stamp of Failure on it.
I'm not thrilled about it, but it's better than a Dash-9.
Bottom text.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

PC is not a stamp of failure anymore than PRR or NYC or any other of the Eastern Roads. Separate NYC and PRR would have faced the same fate, PC was their desperation attempt at survival, it of course failed too just like every other Northeast Railroad that didn't merge with anyone else.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

The PC unit looks great and the white stripe adds a really nice touch.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Ohiorailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ohiorailfan »

Y@ wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why the IT unit isn't out yet. My NS guy told me it was done yesterday, but nobody else seems to know.
I read online somewhere that NS and the owner of the Respondek railroad had a talk about who owns the rights to the IT Paint and Logo.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

And the Illinois Terminal SD70ACe:

Looks as good as it did on the GP7/9's.

EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJ&ESDM809 »

We go from the dullest unit, to the brightest SD70ACe on the planet! Love that IT unit! The Penn Central, while simple, doesn't look too bad on the ACe in my opinion.
Robby Gragg - Proud fan of the EJ&E Railway

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Dumb question, and people arn't going to want to take the time to type out one word, but is this it? I lost track.. :oops:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Was the IT units really that "Bright" or is it another crapy photo? Most I can find they look darker and maybe even a little less "Greeny" It looks good though. Or was the IT units just known to fade that fast?
The PC unit I was really excited about, but I (my opinion) is it would have looked better on a GEVO. Something about it just dont look right on the ACe. Not as excited about it as I was.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

CF&E East
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CF&E East »

One more coming, The DL&W.....
MQT3001 wrote:Dumb question, and people arn't going to want to take the time to type out one word, but is this it? I lost track.. :oops:

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

CF&E East wrote:One more coming, The DL&W.....
MQT3001 wrote:Dumb question, and people arn't going to want to take the time to type out one word, but is this it? I lost track.. :oops:
And here's NS's page with all of the heritage units and a picture of each one completed, except for the Illinois Terminal that was just released: http://www.nscorp.com/nscportal/nscorp/ ... comotives/
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com