MMRR Z627 Log

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Re: MMRR Z627 Log

Unread post by EWRice »

Over the last week I have noticed that MS is down to three power units. They have been using 73 for most of the day work. Sometimes they use a geep if they need a second unit. Then, it is just 2019 and the CFE engine at night. Kind of sounds sad around here without the wide variety of power and horns.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

EWRice wrote:Over the last week I have noticed that MS is down to three power units. They have been using 73 for most of the day work. Sometimes they use a geep if they need a second unit. Then, it is just 2019 and the CFE engine at night. Kind of sounds sad around here without the wide variety of power and horns.
Was searching through an Album Bob M had sent me a link to for a few repaint pictures, and while browsing, saw this in the album:

http://treyh.rrpicturearchives.net/show ... id=3617047

Wonder where she's wandering to?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

MQT3001 wrote:
EWRice wrote:Over the last week I have noticed that MS is down to three power units. They have been using 73 for most of the day work. Sometimes they use a geep if they need a second unit. Then, it is just 2019 and the CFE engine at night. Kind of sounds sad around here without the wide variety of power and horns.
Was searching through an Album Bob M had sent me a link to for a few repaint pictures, and while browsing, saw this in the album:

Have not heard but she will be missed. That unit had the best sounding (in my opinion) Prime 920 on it, and there is one engineer who knows how to "play" it very well. I will miss hearing that sound as I lie awake in bed at night worrying about sw9's and GE 50 tonners. Good thing I have a very similar horn going on my new work truck. :D :D :D :mrgreen:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

EWRice wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:

Have not heard but she will be missed. That unit had the best sounding (in my opinion) Prime 920 on it, and there is one engineer who knows how to "play" it very well. I will miss hearing that sound as I lie awake in bed at night worrying about sw9's and GE 50 tonners. Good thing I have a very similar horn going on my new work truck. :D :D :D :mrgreen:
Maybe it is heading out into the world for overhaul/repainting?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

It's going to G&W's main shop for an overhaul and likely a repaint. Weather it ends up being lettered for MMRR again or gets assigned to another G&W road is yet to be seen.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

I spotted it in the B&P's shops in Butler PA yeterday afternoon still in Blue and white... For now

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Z627-27 southbound 11:50 through Grand haven

MMRR 2019 solo lead

okay so I didn't get the complete car count. it was at a distance and I couldn't catch it... but I can tell you they had a good 12 to 15 cars maybe with a few from bay, (3 or 4) a short cut from Barry (3 or 4 from Nugent sand), 2 from brinks, and id say maybe 5 from Fremont (all counts are approximant)

There is MAJOR track work going on in Muskegon. Driving past north yard early this morning I noticed ballast cars in the yard. Maintenance equipment dominated the line from henry street hill all the way down to airport road with fresh dumped ballast from western avenue to Laketon avenue, then from Summit down to Hile road past airport road. they also ballasted the curve on the old GTW line near the switch and the old diamond.

Several crossing circuits have been rebuilt as well (not entire signal replacements) henry had track gangs working on 2 crossings, with fresh paint marking out the new shunt plates and circuits. They also did work on the team track around Jackson street in grand haven. They ballasted around the switches and rebuilt the crossing circuits.

Other crossing work includes rebuilds on both crossings at Sherman, Judson street, 5th street (grand haven),taylor avenue, and others south of grand Haven. Some have been done for a while, It looks like they work at a pace of a crossing every other week or so.

Side notes: the switch was lined for the paper mill spur when I drove past. there were also US trackwork llc trucks parked along the spur but I didn't get a chance to inspect anything.

I hear word that the remaining paper mill building is going to be imploded instead of torn down!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Imploding has pretty much been the word since last summer, since the old coal plant and stacks were too high and/or dangerous to tear down with ordinary machines.

Muskegon outta get used to it, they've got Cobb to come down as well! :shock:

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Late update:
last nights short but sweet Z627 (-04) was south through Grand haven at 12:10 with 2019 leading 3885, 2 boxes, 3 sandies, and 2 tanks 7 total.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Z627 Hit a car at robbins road in Grand Haven last night. The kid was okay but very shaken.
Its a shame... they were only 2 weeks into their speed limit raise through Grand haven.

3885 leading 2019, 6 box (3 in 6 out at bay) 6 sand, and 2 fremont.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I've looked hard but don't see the collision. Even after the train moves past I can't see the car :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

AARR wrote:I've looked hard but don't see the collision. Even after the train moves past I can't see the car :?
It was coming from the other direction. Luckily they just got his front end. Another half second along and this might not have been such a minor incident.

After the accident he is off to the left there with the flashing lights.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Odd that the crew never saw the collision. Was that idiot driving a BMW? Kind of looks like it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

AARR wrote:I've looked hard but don't see the collision. Even after the train moves past I can't see the car :?
Looks like the car ran into the engineers side of the front truck. Then spins the car 90 and it's sitting between the tracks and the crossing signal. Must be in a hurry to get home from the bar. :shock:

Maybe it's the same person who hit 7014 out in C'ville. :oops:

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

The kid was only 17 or 18. He was driving his dads Blue (I think it was a BMW) and he wasn't too familiar with the area. I had to give him a lot of help in telling the 911 operator where the accident was. My guess is that he was texting when he hit. he said quote "he never saw it"

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

This is amazing, and unfortunately, more of this seems to be happening. Two sets of red lights flashing in your face (magnified by the dark and the rain), working ditch lights, working headlights, three different bells and a three chime horn, and he didn't see it? I see so much of this in my travels around west Michigan (not just with trains). Last week, a young girl was merging onto US31 at VanWagoner, while texting or something on her phone, and she ended up running herself off the shoulder because she wasn't paying attention. Scary stuff. :(

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

EWRice wrote:This is amazing, and unfortunately, more of this seems to be happening. Two sets of red lights flashing in your face (magnified by the dark and the rain), working ditch lights, working headlights, three different bells and a three chime horn, and he didn't see it? I see so much of this in my travels around west Michigan (not just with trains). Last week, a young girl was merging onto US31 at VanWagoner, while texting or something on her phone, and she ended up running herself off the shoulder because she wasn't paying attention. Scary stuff. :(
You only need the equivalent of a C- to pass the State driving exam. That means you only need to know 70% of the material...and that is before you throw in actually driving, texting, talking on the phone etc, etc.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

MQT3001 wrote:
EWRice wrote:This is amazing, and unfortunately, more of this seems to be happening. Two sets of red lights flashing in your face (magnified by the dark and the rain), working ditch lights, working headlights, three different bells and a three chime horn, and he didn't see it? I see so much of this in my travels around west Michigan (not just with trains). Last week, a young girl was merging onto US31 at VanWagoner, while texting or something on her phone, and she ended up running herself off the shoulder because she wasn't paying attention. Scary stuff. :(
You only need the equivalent of a C- to pass the State driving exam. That means you only need to know 70% of the material...and that is before you throw in actually driving, texting, talking on the phone etc, etc.
That really has nothing to do with it. You have to realize it's plain and simple common sense. You can get the lowest passing grade and still be a decent driver. May just be a bad test-taker, etc. You can ace the exam because you studied and because you're smaert n stuffz and then go get in your car and get on your phone and get hit by a train. There's really no way other than natural selection to weed out the idiots...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Mr. Tops wrote:May just be a bad test-taker, etc. .
Or a bad texter-driver. :shock: :twisted:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.