CSX Locomotive Roster News, Updates & Information Thread

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
CSXFAN
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX Locomotive Roster News, Updates & Information Thread

Unread post by CSXFAN »

312 is also repainted now. As for retirements of units I doubt that will be happening. At my terminal trains sit in the yard because of locomotive shortages. This is bad for business. With that said CSX is not exactly wise either so who really knows. If any units should be retired it should be the SD50 class. By far these units are the most worn out less reliable engines out there running.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

CSXFAN wrote:312 is also repainted now. As for retirements of units I doubt that will be happening. At my terminal trains sit in the yard because of locomotive shortages. This is bad for business. With that said CSX is not exactly wise either so who really knows. If any units should be retired it should be the SD50 class. By far these units are the most worn out less reliable engines out there running.
I vote for the C40-8s to get retired first. SD50s can and have been rebuilt into decent units. We are short locomotives because CSX has 10% of the fleet in storage.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

CSXFAN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXFAN »

We were short all of last year before power was being stored. I will take a Dash 8 any day over an SD50. Now let me say I'm not a GE fan by any means..I despise the earlier AC4400 class..these units rattle, stink, drop or won't load up or if they shut down hard to get them restarted. Give me an SD70AC any day over these units.

trainspot
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainspot »

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

So I've heard an interesting report that CSX 156 was wrecked in Mexico and repainted into FRESH YN2. Was reported on Trainorders, however I cannot get Railpictures to load on my phone to see if anyone has captured this Defacto "Heritage" unit.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MQT1223 wrote:So I've heard an interesting report that CSX 156 was wrecked in Mexico and repainted into FRESH YN2. Was reported on Trainorders, however I cannot get Railpictures to load on my phone to see if anyone has captured this Defacto "Heritage" unit.
1. We've been trying to follow up on this report for a few weeks
2. 156 was still in YN2...so this isn't a change. It's also not the only unit repainted back into YN2 after being wrecked in YN2.
3. It's not a heritage unit. Please don't act like it is. It's an active paint scheme with nearly 900 current examples still in active service.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Saturnalia wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:So I've heard an interesting report that CSX 156 was wrecked in Mexico and repainted into FRESH YN2. Was reported on Trainorders, however I cannot get Railpictures to load on my phone to see if anyone has captured this Defacto "Heritage" unit.
1. We've been trying to follow up on this report for a few weeks
2. 156 was still in YN2...so this isn't a change. It's also not the only unit repainted back into YN2 after being wrecked in YN2.
3. It's not a heritage unit. Please don't act like it is. It's an active paint scheme with nearly 900 current examples still in active service.
I know it's not a true heritage unit, but when was the last time a unit was repainted or painted into YN2? I called it a Defacto Heritage Unit for a reason. You know foamers will go crazy over a clean YN2 unit in the days where everything is getting repainted into YN3B. You know as well as I do that all the YN2 units look terrible after only a few years of service.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MQT1223 wrote:when was the last time a unit was repainted or painted into YN2?
Only about two years ago or so, again often times shops repaint wreck repairs back into the old paint scheme. This happened with one of the units wrecked at Suman in 2012.
MQT1223 wrote:I called it a Defacto Heritage Unit for a reason. You know foamers will go crazy over a clean YN2 unit
And you're suspect #1

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Saturnalia wrote:
Only about two years ago or so, again often times shops repaint wreck repairs back into the old paint scheme. This happened with one of the units wrecked at Suman in 2012.
MQT1223 wrote:I called it a Defacto Heritage Unit for a reason. You know foamers will go crazy over a clean YN2 unit
And you're suspect #1
I honestly could care less. I hate YN2 regardless of how shiny it is. I don't know what people see in it. I think the YN3b paint scheme finally has given CSX a good image. YN3 was too plain, YN2 and YN1 (and its variants) are ugly.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

MQT1223 wrote: I honestly could care less. I hate YN2 regardless of how shiny it is. I don't know what people see in it. I think the YN3b paint scheme finally has given CSX a good image. YN3 was too plain, YN2 and YN1 (and its variants) are ugly.[/quote][/quote]

Gee, considering you could care less about it, you sure made a big deal about it.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

BL2-1843 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote: I honestly could care less. I hate YN2 regardless of how shiny it is. I don't know what people see in it. I think the YN3b paint scheme finally has given CSX a good image. YN3 was too plain, YN2 and YN1 (and its variants) are ugly.
[/quote]

Gee, considering you could care less about it, you sure made a big deal about it.[/quote]

Can one find something interesting and not care what paint scheme its in?

trainspot
Railroadfan...fan

Caught 397 today:
Attachments
16-02-25_K044_Yardley_CSX397[tad_60D].jpg

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote: I honestly could care less.
MQT1223 wrote: Can one find something interesting and not care what paint scheme its in?
But you DO care, according to your exact words. By saying "I could care less," that means you do have some level of care.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
MQT1223 wrote: I honestly could care less.
MQT1223 wrote: Can one find something interesting and not care what paint scheme its in?
But you DO care, according to your exact words. By saying "I could care less," that means you do have some level of care.

I am actually appreciative of this correction because I wasn't aware there was a difference. Thanks. :D

trainspot
Railroadfan...fan

Are the B40-8's and B20-8s going into storage or being retired? Quite a few have passed my area heading south lately, there was mention of a capped stack on one. I only see them at night.

CSXTSD40-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXTSD40-2 »

For those that care, looks like the next four Boise bound Deuces arrived in Clearing. 8458, 8855, 8442, and 8444.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote: I am actually appreciative of this correction because I wasn't aware there was a difference. Thanks. :D
Think of it this way:

If you were as angry as you could be, you would say, "I couldn't be angrier."

If you were a happy as you could be, you would say, "I couldn't be happier."

Same applies to caring. If you have zero care for something, then you "couldn't care less."

:D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

CSXTSD40-2 wrote:For those that care, looks like the next four Boise bound Deuces arrived in Clearing. 8458, 8855, 8442, and 8444.
All YN3 or YN3B but these things are going way too fast for my liking
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CSX Locomotive Roster Update February 2016

YN2 Repaints:
218 CW44AC
303 CW44AC
652 CW60AC
7570 C40-8
8235 SD40-2 *repaint to YN3
Now 876 YN2

YN3 Repaints:
575 CW44AH
1175 MP15AC
1209 MP15T
Now 2525 YN3

New Units:
3375-3379. New ET44AH in YN3B. Built at Erie
3411. New ET44AH in YN3B. Built at Fort Worth
Now 131 ET44AH

Rebuilds:
none

Retirements
none

New Paint totals (pct), change:
YN3B: 1040 (23.34%), +14
YN3: 2525 (56.68%), -2
YN2: 876 (19.66%), -6
YN1: 1 (0.02%), no change
CR: 1 (0.02%), no change
Ex-NS “Hornet”: 12 (0.28%), no change

Average Fleet Build Date*: 1994.34 (+0.03)
Total Units on Roster: 4455 (+6)

*Build dates use whole years on the roster. Actual number may vary up to a half year

We don't have any rebuild data this month, but know more are out there. We're working to bring those to you next month.

CSXTSD40-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXTSD40-2 »

DT&I wrote:
CSXTSD40-2 wrote:For those that care, looks like the next four Boise bound Deuces arrived in Clearing. 8458, 8855, 8442, and 8444.
All YN3 or YN3B but these things are going way too fast for my liking
I agree, untouched units are getting hard to come by on the high iron.