Detroit Produce Terminal

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Detroit Produce Terminal

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I now have the opportunity to pass by the Detroit Produce Terminal at the corner of Fort Street and Green St. in Detroit on average once a week. This is along the old Union Belt Boat Yard Line, which today is served by both an NS and a CSX (Y122) local on weekdays. I know the produce terminal receives cars from Y122, not sure if they ever get cars from NS. If you're not familiar with this area or terminal, go to maps.google.com and search "fort street and green detroit mi." The terminal is in the SW corner of the intersection. Although the produce terminal used to have a much larger rail presence, it is still today served by a single spur that branches into two tracks, one to serve each distribution building. In the google maps satalite image, you can see there is one UP reefer at each building. If you search the aerial image on Mapquest, there are two reefers hooked together on the south track and one on the Fort St. side track.

Anyhow, now that I drive by this building regularly, I'm going to post back with the number of reefer cars I can see when I drive by. It's very hard to get a look in this facility, you have a very short window to look between the terminal building when traveling on Green, and that's if there aren't any semi's blocking the view (see photo below).

1/30 - 3 reefers on the Fort St. building siding (could not see south siding)
2/04 - 5 reefers on the Fort St. building siding (again could not see south siding)
2/13 - 3 reefers on the Fort St. building siding, south siding was empty
2/17 - 2 reefers on the Fort St. building siding, south siding empty again
2/20 - 1 lone reefer on the Fort building siding, south siding still empty
3/09 - No reefers at the terminal, but 4 reported at Rougemere (Thanks Mac)
3/10 - 1 reefer on the Fort St. building side, south siding was empty
3/18 - 1 reefer on the Fort St. building siding, south siding maintaining its emptyness
3/30 - 1 reefer on the Fort St. building siding, south siding empty, 1 ARMN reefer at Rougemere
4/05 - 2 reefers on the Fort St. building siding, none on the south siding (nice to see more than 1 in a while!)
4/09 - 1 reefer on the Fort St. building siding (could not see south siding)
4/21 - Both sidings empty
4/24 - 1 reefer on the Fort St. building siding (again could not see the south siding)
5/13 - Both sidings empty, but Y122 at Rougemere had one reefer to be setoff sometime during the day
5/17 - 1 reefer on the Fort St. building siding, south siding empty
5/29 - 1 reefer on the Fort St. building siding, south siding empty
6/27 - 1 reefer at the end of the siding on the Fort St. side, south siding empty
7/10 - 1 reefer on the Fort St. building siding, south siding empty
7/16 - 1 reefer on the Fort St. building siding, could not see the south siding
7/23 - 1 reefer on the Fort St. building siding, south siding empty (also ARMN 767218 at Rougemere)
11/11 - ARMN 769026 and ARMN 765167 were set off by Y122 around 1:00PM today.
11/23 - 1 reefer on the Fort St. building siding, south siding empty, at least two ARMN reefers at Rougemere
11/25 - 1 reefer on the Fort St. building siding, south siding empty
12/09 - 1 reefer on the Fort St. building siding, south siding empty
12/14 - 3 reefers on the Fort St. building siding, south siding empty, all three cars were at Rougemere in the AM and spotted by Y122

I'll continue to update this over the next few months and try to get a better view. In the past, I only remember seeing perhaps one or none lonely reefer car on these sidings, now recently it seems that there are more. It could be just seasonal, but I hope the rail business has picked up a little. The spur into the Terminal joins the Boat Yard line at the West End St. crossing, to the west of the terminal complex, at the Garden Yard (so named because it once was where all the fruit and veggie cars were marshaled before and after going to the Produce Terminal). Below are two photos from this operation:

First is a photo looking into the facility. You can see two UP reefers on the Fort Street building side this April 5, 2009 afternoon.

If you want to see how many reefer cars are being unloaded at the Detroit Produce Terminal, you have a look fast through the small viewing opportunity between the Fort Street building and the South building, from Green Street. Each building has a rail spur which runs between the two buildings roughly halfway down their length from the west end. Here, we can see two UPFE/ARMN mechanical reefers on the siding for the Fort Street Building. The South Building is to the left here, just out of view, but had no cars this April 5, 2009 afternoon. On some occasions, as many as 7-8 cars have been spotted here, during busy seasons.

Below is a photo of CSX Y122 at the West End crossing, having just picked up a single reefer this August 2008 day.

Two of this Genset's three motors are working to get Y122 underway again from the Detroit Produce Terminal switch, on the former Union Belt Boat Yard line at the West End St. crossing. CSX #1300 has the honors to switch the CSX industries on the line in an environmentally conscious way on this August 6th, 2008 afternoon. The reefer has just been pulled from the Terminal, the tankers from another online industry, and the hoppers are from the 15th St. transload facility at the end of the line.
Last edited by GP30M4216 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 22 times in total.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Re: Detroit Produce Terminal

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

From when I was working to Detroit, they come up on Q392, and are almost always Potatos.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

Thanks for posting. I don't get down to Detroit often so I'm pretty clueless about what goes on there (rail wise, anyway)

Here's a Live Search Bird's Eye

Seems like this area would be an interesting prototype for a switching model layout.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Looking forward to your future posts. With more produce going to rail there's a possibility that we'll see more refrigerator cars in Detroit :) .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Hey Odave, thanks for that Live Search link. That day, there were 6 reefers on the spurs!, including a couple of the older yellow ones. This does seem like it would be an interesting thing to model.

I agree Don, I've also heard that more and more produce is moving by rail, so hopefully this will be an increased business locally and for CSX. I'll continue to update this page as I drive through the area, and hopefully I'll be able to see both spurs for the report.

Matt, thanks for the headsup on the potatoes. I wonder if these are Idaho spuds?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

GTW used to deliver a lot of produce to Eastern Market. Now DCON delivers a car or two a week to a team track. :(
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

PlymouthStationGuy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PlymouthStationGuy »

Don Simon wrote:GTW used to deliver a lot of produce to Eastern Market. Now DCON delivers a car or two a week to a team track. :(
Don is that team track close to Eastern Market? I don' t remember seening it
oh and Q327 takes a couple of empty UP refeers back to Chi town every once in awhile.
Plymouth Station Guy
Please do not poke at the ramp agent because he has the power to make your vacation
memorable or miserable. It all depends on what flight you bags go on.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

The team track if I recall correctly on the old GTW Dequindre Line near Mack. So it's a little ways from Eastern Market, but not too far. I think it's the farthest south industry the DCON currently serves.

As for the reefers on Q327, they may be coming from the Detroit Produce Terminal, but they also get these types of UP reefers at the Michigan Cold Storage facility in Grand Rapids along Wyoming Yard. Here's a photo of Y221 retrieving one such 57' Mechanical Reefer from the cold storage siding:

These are the same types they get at the Detroit Produce Terminal. Produce terminals must all be in shady places... it's really rare to see one that doesn't have graffiti all over it! I put down my update from yesterday in the first post on this thread; this week i hope to get down there twice and will post the updates there.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

The team track if I recall correctly on the old GTW Dequindre Line near Mack. So it's a little ways from Eastern Market, but not too far. I think it's the farthest south industry the DCON currently serves.
The street where I've seen them unload refrigerator cars from the team track is either Ferry, Frederick, or Farnsworth. Eastern Market is a couple miles south of there.

There's a produce company that takes cars directly to their building somewhere around Mack and what is now the end of line for DCON. I haven't checked it out in years so it's possible they don't receive rail service any longer.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

The team track is off of Trombley st. just north of I-94. I do have some pictures of the DCON checking out the rail down at Gratiot a few years ago. I'll try posting them.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

DCON will often park a lone reefer down near Mack Avenue. They also have a cut of gons sitting south of there.

I caught them at Milwaukee Junction today after interchanging with the CN w/ 1 gon and 1 tankcar, which should be going to Vesco Oil.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

which should be going to Vesco Oil.
I don't think Vesco gets rail service. The tank cars go to the liquid recycling place across from the old cold storage building.

azimmer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by azimmer »

La Grasso Bros. Produce, which is located at the end-of-the-line of the Detroit east side Belt Line operated by Norfolk-Southern, also receives reefers from North Yard.

I can't understand how the railroads are able to do this. Produce items do not last a week in my home refrigerator, and it must take about as long to ship them by rail. It would seem that any produce that arrives by rail will be very near the end of its shelf life and hence useless for sale to the public. I would doubt that these reefers are hustled over from California or Mexico in 48 hours.

AZ

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

All they are shipping to Detroit is Potatos, and those will last a while.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

The other thing about produce is some of it's "picked green" with ripening anticipated on the trip. A friend used to manage a trucking company that hauled produce back to West MI (office furniture west). The loads are also "pre cooled" so the reefer unit can "keep up" with the refrigeration demand on the trip east (heat during the winter :D ). A load not properly prepped before loading will be rejected when it gets here even as quick as a truck is. (Produce company would not accept a load of brown slimy lettuce - big $$$$$) He would have his drivers stick a thermometer well into the pallets to make sure the product was at the proper temperature as it was loaded.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Hard to tell if anything was on the spurs at Detroit Produce Terminal today, there was lots of things making the view hard, and there may not have been anything there at all. There was, however, one ARMN reefer with a short string of gondolas hooked together along Wyoming Avenue at Rougemere, which is where they usually build Y122, the Boat Yard Line local. Maybe it will be switched in later tomorrow... hey, Matt, any idea if they are running Y122 daily from Rougemere anymore?

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Nate I will see what I can find out, but there should have been one reefer, there, I brought one up on 92 just two days ago.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Spanish Fork, MP 6, UP Tintic Industrial Lead
Spanish Fork, Utah, USA
March 28, 2009
James Belmont

More than 130 mechanical refers are stored and tied down on a portion of Union Pacific's Tintic Industrial Lead at Spanish Fork, Utah. Spanning a distance of more than 1-1/2 miles of track, these refers await a return to service when the economy picks up and shipments of produce by rail resume. Historically, this line was once a busy D&RGW branch, moving carloads of limestone daily between the Keigley Quarry near Santaquin and the United States Steel mill at Geneva. Busy Interstate highway 15 is visible to the right of the Tintic.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=277764

Maybe this is why I've seen fewer cars at the Produce Terminal as of late? Should be at least one update this week.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Got all the April and May updates posted! I think the Produce Terminal is the only place in Detroit that reefers on CSX go, that's why when I see them at Rougemere, I presume they're going to or coming from the Boat Yard Line and Detroit PT.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Reefers also go to and from the place at Lake O, but those are usually the tall size ones, like on the Q090. You will see those or used to in Detroit.