C&O Signal Replacements - UPDATE 2/10/11

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Y@
Ass. Janitor

C&O Signal Replacements - UPDATE 2/10/11

Unread post by Y@ »

Word is that the C&O cantilever signals at C-Cabin in Carey and Onion north of Carey will be coming down soon.

C-Cabin: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 606&nseq=0

Onion:
Last edited by Y@ on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bottom text.

slwapprslw
Railroadfan...fan

Re: C&O Signal Updates

Unread post by slwapprslw »

For anyone that is interested, this signal bridge (Onion) is located right off of US 23 in Carey. Just a word of advice, be careful. Traffic can get a little heavy at the crossing.
Cass Telles
"Slow-Approach-Slow" - 'Go by way of the B&O'
My photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctelles/

B-Town
Foamer Photographe​r?!?!?!!?

Unread post by B-Town »

According to Joe Slanser (Marion's train god), the signals protecting AC Cabin are coming down too. He said that CSX wants to run double stacks through there!

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

B-Town wrote:According to Joe Slanser (Marion's train god), the signals protecting AC Cabin are coming down too. He said that CSX wants to run double stacks through there!
Wouldn't surprise me with the NB yard nearing completion.
Bottom text.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

B-Town wrote:According to Joe Slanser (Marion's train god), the signals protecting AC Cabin are coming down too. He said that CSX wants to run double stacks through there!
I don't think the signals are the problem, as double stacks and 20'2" racks run west of Marion on the C&O as it is. I think one of the bridges in Columbus is the problem. They wouldn't necessarily have to get rid of the signals to accomplish what they want, just deal with the overhead clearance issues east of Marion on the C&O.

Practice Safe CSX

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

I guess they forgot about the ML trains and Q146/Q147.
Brett

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: C&O Signal Replacements - UPDATE 2/10/11

Unread post by Y@ »

Replacements for Onion signals at Carey are nearing completion. The C-Cabin signals will be removed but not replaced. New signals also up and bagged, but not wired, at Harpster.
Bottom text.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

RW Cabin (Deleware) is on the endangered species list as are the westbound signals at AC Cabin (Marion).

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

CSX_CO wrote:I think one of the bridges in Columbus is the problem. They wouldn't necessarily have to get rid of the signals to accomplish what they want, just deal with the overhead clearance issues east of Marion on the C&O.
This is the Front Street bridge downtown, it prevents double stack trains coming through Cleveland to Buckeye Yard in Columbus from going down the CSX Cleveland Line and then onto the NS Buckeye Line to get to the yard. Instead, the trains leave the Cleveland Line at Galion, go west through Marion, then turn south at Ridgeway onto the Scottslawn Secondary to get to Buckeye Yard. I don't recall the exact numbers, but its something like each train goes over 60 miles out of the way by taking this "back way" to Buckeye Yard. I know CSX does plan to lower the track 18" under the bridge sometime in the near future, which would save them some serious dollars. There are no other intermodal trains that run on the C&O or any other CSX line in or around Columbus, only the ones that come down the Scottslawn and into Buckeye Yard northwest of Columbus.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

When Q122 used to run the Burt Line, how did he get out of town? He always had double stacks. I think in summer of 2010 they started running it "around the loop" through Ridgeway. The last time I caught it south of Galion was spring 2010.
Brett

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

No changes in Marion, just like the week before and the week before that.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

A new westbound home signal is in place but turned sideways at AC Cabin now. It is pointed right at the Shovel Lounge. The eastbound signals have not been put in service...yet.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

There is a new foundation in place at Highland Drive in Columbus. As of Saturday the new signals at RW Cabin were not in service nor were the ones at AC Cabin.

As a side note, I'm pretty sure CSX changed the voice on the defect detecor at milepost 58.9, about a mile or so west of Harpster.