Do people still go to Elkhart?

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
pica
Railroadfan...fan

Do people still go to Elkhart?

Unread post by pica »

It's been years since I went train watching in Elkhart. Does anyone still go there? What is the rail traffic like nowadays?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Do people still go to Elkhart?

Unread post by ~Z~ »

We had been holding a few of our railroadfan.com gatherings in Elkhart the past couple years, but now that the city booted Ron from running the NYC Museum, doubtful we'll be back. Museum was a great spot to spend the night.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I'm sure plenty of people still go and hang out at Elkhart. It's a nice enough spot to sit and watch.
Bottom text.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Having been at Elkhart early last month, the ex CR Chicago Line is busy as ever! There were 54 plus moves in 14 hours while we were there in daylight hours(6:30am to 8:30pm). I know of a couple friends who spent the day there a week or so later over at the depot and they were treated to about 30 or so movements in the 8 hours they were there that day.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Was in Elkhart back in May 2011. Not much moving that day eastbound out of Elkhart as NS has both mains closed due to a derailment in western OH. West bounds heading to Chicago where pretty steady. Caught like 8 trains in a hour + at the east end of Elkhart (MP426) or while at the Mcdonalds in Mishewaka. Cool place to eat and watch trains. The mains are like 60 feet out the back side of the restaurant. There is seating inside that will allow you to sit and watch the tracks while you eat.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Nobody goes to Elkhart. Elkhart is closed. :twisted: :wink:

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I have not been there since the change of management at NNYC. You aren't allowed to be on the equipment or NYC 3001 anymore, so unless I wanna go shoot rusting relics that won't be cared for, I prolly won't be going back.

ogauge47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ogauge47 »

I do, but not for trains. I visit the Conn-Selmer plant to try out Bach Stradivarius trumpets. :wink:

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I spent a semester volunteering at the NNYC Museum in Elkhart and also volunteering at the Amtrak station in the fall of 2007. The Elkhart area is still a great place to watch trains. The Depot is a common gathering/watching point. It's open daily in the morning for the Capitol and Lake Shore Limiteds. I always like to hear how the interior and brick platform on the exterior are faring.....I worked on both while volunteering there and they were much improved by the time the first snowflakes fell that year!

I would advise anyone interested in going to Elkhart to spend a little time on Google Maps and look for some places that might look decent, then go and check them out. The Hively Avenue crossing is a decent place, as is McDonald. Other opts are available through Dunlap and down toward Goshen. The Depot will see ALL traffic coming east out of the yard: all Water Level Route trains, Grand Elk, locals, and trains which diverge south on the Marion Branch at Goshen. The Elkhart & Western is also a neat operation to catch if they are running, and the NS/E&W transfer is interesting too.

Just because the management of the museum has changed doesn't mean fans shouldn't still visit Elkhart. It's always worth it!

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

I go to the Elkhart Depot about once a month or so. (It's only about 55 miles from me. :) ) All the times I've been there I've only been asked once by police why I was there, and was not told to leave, so it is a great place to sit and not be bothered.
There are lulls during the day, but can be busy at times.
After the Lakeshore Ltd. leaves around midnight or later(it seems to be late quite often) the traffic really picks up overnight.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

CR Cabanaw
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CR Cabanaw »

never been but me and my friend dave are planning a trip there in mid october to research the marion branch. I want to model that area some day.
" "

pica
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pica »

Is Norfolk Southern still the main railroad that goes thru Elkhart? Is that the same line that goes thru Fostoria? Does anyone know the scanner frequency number if it is still Norfolk Southern. I think I'm gonna go to Elkhart Sept 8-10. While I'm at it can anyone recommend me an inexpensive hotel to stay at. Thanks.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

pica wrote:Is Norfolk Southern still the main railroad that goes thru Elkhart? Is that the same line that goes thru Fostoria? Does anyone know the scanner frequency number if it is still Norfolk Southern. I think I'm gonna go to Elkhart Sept 8-10. While I'm at it can anyone recommend me an inexpensive hotel to stay at. Thanks.
Yes, NS is the main railroad that runs thru Elkhart, as all the lines in town are ex Conrail. The mainline is the ex CR Chicago Line, the Marion Branch diverges at CP412 in Goshen, IN, and the Grand Elk RR comes in off the Kalamazoo Branch(ex CR) with traffic from Grand Rapids and K-zoo. The Chicago Line does NOT run thru Fostoria, the closest it gets is Toledo, OH, the NS thru Fostoria is the ex NKP mainline that runs thru Ft. Wayne on its way to Chicago. The main two frequencies in use at Elkhart are 160.800 and 161.070, both ex CR channels. Try looking for Super 8 or Motel 6, I believe both of them are located in town.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Most of the motels are located north of town near the Indiana Troll Road.

There are motels a few miles away in Goshen, as well as a motel (don't know how good it is, and can't remember what it's called) just off US 20, about 3 miles from the Elkhart Depot. It is located right along US20 and the NS Main, and there are no crossings nearby so no train horns to keep you up at night. :)
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

pica
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pica »

Just made a reservation at Econo Lodge on Cassopolis Rd. but thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

pica
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pica »

Well I went to Elkhart last weekend. Had a pretty good time. Had really crappy weather. It wasn't as busy as Fostoria gets which I knew that before going there. A couple times there were 3 trains passing the station at the same time which was really cool. You didn't have to wait long between trains which made it really nice. There was road construction right in front of the station which was kind of a hassle to detour around. I ran into a couple of local guys at the station Friday night and they gave me alot of really good info about that area. I never got their names but if you guys see this....Thank you(never made it to Goshen though). Plus there was a Steak N' Shake right next to the hotel. Mmmmmmmm. I don't know if I'll be back there for a while. Fostoria is a much shorter drive for me with more trains.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Did you notice anyone at the junkya .... I mean New York Central Museum?? 8)

pica
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pica »

TrainWatcher wrote:Did you notice anyone at the junkya .... I mean New York Central Museum?? 8)

You know, I saw a couple cars come and go throughout the day but not too many.