Car top scanner antenna

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Josh
Railroadfan...fan

Car top scanner antenna

Unread post by Josh »

Lately I've been looking into buying an antenna with a magnetic base that I can use with my radio shack scanner. Any suggestions?

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Car top scanner antenna

Unread post by hoborich »

I use a CB antenna with a magnetic base and an adapter. It's not quite made for railroad frequencies, but it sure improves the reception over the little rubber ducky on the radio. The only difference in antennas is that they are cut to different lengths for different frequencies. But anything bigger than the little rubber antenna on the scanner will improve it greatly.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

I have the Traintenna - http://www.dpdproductions.com/page_trai ... ttmobile58 and it works excellent, I can't compare it to the other available antennas out there but it does get great reception.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Get a 2m band amateur/ham radio antenna with a BNC connector. Should be in the neighborhood of $25-30 for a cheap one.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Here ya go. http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.p ... =MFJ-1724B

This is the antenna I use and it picks up great! I got it for $24.95 at Universal Radio, a local ham radio shop. And if you leave it up all the time like I do it holds up to the elements pretty well. They even give you a free BNC adapter.
Last edited by cbehr91 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

I ordered my traintenna about a week ago and nothing yet...no order confirmation or anything. Bought a new base scanner for the car from scanner master and had prompt service along with very reasonable prices. Now just waiting on the antenna. Railroad frequencies are best received on a 17 inch antenna rod (it may be a more exact number to the tenth?). I used to have a home made one I made from a radio shack cb antenna that I cut down to 17 inches. If the folks who make the traintenna get their act together and get me my antenna, I may order an indoor antenna for the house scanner...

Josh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Josh »

Ok thanks for all the help! Another question realating to scanners, several months ago I ran into an older railfan (don't remember his name) in Lapeer who like me, and most railfans, had a scanner. He told me that you needed a permit to carry it in a vehicle and even showed me his (don't remember all the details). Now i've been using a scanner for quite a while and have never herd of this. Can anyone confirm? Or maybe happen to be the guy I ran into that day? I would hate to have the cops called on me for a place I was watching trains from and then get in more trouble for not having one of these.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Josh wrote:Ok thanks for all the help! Another question realating to scanners, several months ago I ran into an older railfan (don't remember his name) in Lapeer who like me, and most railfans, had a scanner. He told me that you needed a permit to carry it in a vehicle and even showed me his (don't remember all the details). Now i've been using a scanner for quite a while and have never herd of this. Can anyone confirm? Or maybe happen to be the guy I ran into that day? I would hate to have the cops called on me for a place I was watching trains from and then get in more trouble for not having one of these.
There is a scanner law in Indiana that goes largely unenforced. I've never known of anybody getting pulled over or hassled for having a scanner in their car or on their person. I think if you're committing a crime and you're found with a scanner in your possession, then you'll get an additional penalty, but other than that, the "scanner law" goes largely unenforced. The "permit" you may be referring to is a ham radio license. If you have one of those then you can legally carry a scanner in your car.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Michigan used to have that law, but it was changed a few years ago, to where if you are not commiting a criminal actavity you can have it in the car now.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Michigan used to have that law, but it was changed a few years ago, to where if you are not commiting a criminal actavity you can have it in the car now.
There is a scanner law in Indiana, but the last time I went through a police roadblock near Elkhart, they didn't say a word about my scanner, they just made sure I was sober. For awhile, the Elkhart Co. Police were setting up sobriety checkpoints and stopping everyone. I haven't seen them in awhile. I have been through 3, and the last time, I forgot to put my scanner away when I saw the police checkpoint ahead, but it didn't matter.
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

The Michigan scanner law was changed in November 2006. No permits are needed now. However if you use a scanner in the commission of a crime, it is a felony, in addition to whatever crime you commit. Prior to that permits were available from the state police for anyone not convicted of a felony, but almost nobody bothered to get one.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I like the standard one from RadioShack. There are some days that I have been in Romulus and picking up Toledo East clear as a bell. Normal range for me is 20 miles.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I use the radioshack version. Took out a section or two and it not only improved the reception, the antenna stopped flying off the car in the highway! Its a lot better than nothing, especially when you're on the road.
~ Charles W.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

I haven't had any trouble with the Traintenna staying on the car, and I routinely travel upwards of 80mph on the freeway.

Josh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Josh »

Mr. Tops wrote:I ordered my traintenna about a week ago and nothing yet...no order confirmation or anything. Bought a new base scanner for the car from scanner master and had prompt service along with very reasonable prices. Now just waiting on the antenna. Railroad frequencies are best received on a 17 inch antenna rod (it may be a more exact number to the tenth?). I used to have a home made one I made from a radio shack cb antenna that I cut down to 17 inches. If the folks who make the traintenna get their act together and get me my antenna, I may order an indoor antenna for the house scanner...
I'm going to order a traintenna but before i do, did you end up getting yours?

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Huelsy'sTrainBlog »

I'm going to order a traintenna but before i do, did you end up getting yours?[/quote]

I am going to order it as soon as I get my tax returns back so about a week or two. If it works half as good as they say it does I will be happy!

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Josh wrote:
Mr. Tops wrote:I ordered my traintenna about a week ago and nothing yet...no order confirmation or anything. Bought a new base scanner for the car from scanner master and had prompt service along with very reasonable prices. Now just waiting on the antenna. Railroad frequencies are best received on a 17 inch antenna rod (it may be a more exact number to the tenth?). I used to have a home made one I made from a radio shack cb antenna that I cut down to 17 inches. If the folks who make the traintenna get their act together and get me my antenna, I may order an indoor antenna for the house scanner...
I'm going to order a traintenna but before i do, did you end up getting yours?
Yes! Not long after I wrote that message, I ended up getting it via UPS. No correspondence from them...no order confirmation, receipt, tracking number; so I was unsure if the order went throught. I was quite surprised when it showed up as quick as it did. Picking up a whole lot. Seem to be getting about 20 miles of reception as far as picking up engine radios. Of course, it depends on where you are, where they are and what's in between you (ie trees, buildings, hills/mountains). Handhelds vary, most only have a few mile transmission capability anyhow. Dispatchers, you can hear them talking to trains you'll never see... :lol:

Josh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Josh »

Alright thank you for all of your help I will be buying mine when I get home today!