GLLX 3001 Questions

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

GLLX 3001 Questions

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I recently made the following photo, made by JT, by desktop beackground, and I noticed a few things that'd I'd like to ask about.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 295&nseq=8

1. What is going on with that snowplow? That dosn't look like a normal snowplow for SD units... :?
2. Near the Snowplow, next to where its marked "SD40-2", what does that "F" mean?

at any rate, she looks sharp in that pic 8)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: GLLX 3001 Questions

Unread post by Y@ »

"F" is for "front." As in, the front of the engine. Several other railroads use "F" as well.
Bottom text.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Not a snowplow, a rock pilot. The Canadians (and also Chessie System) used them on a lot of power to push rockslides and other stuff (not just snow) out of the way. The SD40-2's were some of the last units built with them.

And like Y@ said, the F stands for Front. You'll find an F on almost every engine out there. On the older NS high hoods, the F is usually on the "back".
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

SD80MAC wrote:Not a snowplow, a rock pilot. The Canadians (and also Chessie System) used them on a lot of power to push rockslides and other stuff (not just snow) out of the way. The SD40-2's were some of the last units built with them.
Chessie's were a little different, but yeah, definitely rock pilots :)
SD80MAC wrote: And like Y@ said, the F stands for Front. You'll find an F on almost every engine out there. On the older NS high hoods, the F is usually on the "back".
I could be wrong, but I believe railroads are required to mark the front of the engine.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

They are required to by the FRA. Helps designate orientation for reporting defects and so the engineer knows which end to get on.

Practice safe CSX

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

CSX_CO wrote:They are required to by the FRA. Helps designate orientation for reporting defects and so the engineer knows which end to get on.

Practice safe CSX
on this note, i was wondering if anyone could confirm my observation. When a conductor gets off of a train to for example flag a crossing:

my video from 2 years ago

does the conductor always have to get off on the engineer's side for safty reasons? probably mainly so the engineer can see him? (also you can see the "F" on the front of the GP60's :lol: )
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

A lot of rule books I've collected say to get off on the engineers side when you can, so they can see you. That being said, I don't think there's anything that says you have to, that's what radios are for ("I'm on board" or "On the ground").

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

SD80MAC wrote:I don't think there's anything that says you have to, that's what radios are for ("I'm on board" or "On the ground").
There is an over-reliance on radio communication now. You attempt to stand on the engineer's side so that if your radio fails, you fall down, etc the engineer can 'see' you. If I was in eye sight of the engineer, I used hand signals. I've set off cars, done shove moves, etc without even using the radio. They did it for 100 years before radio communication was even possible. Less clogging of the air waves, and less of a chance that you're transmission is going to get missed.

Practice Safe CSX

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Oh I completely agree, but I know a lot of people don't feel the same way. I personally always use hand signals unless the situation makes it impossible, impractical or dangerous. Same with boarding/dismounting on the engineers side.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Wasn't there something where either EMD or GE made the door on the cab open to direct you towards the conductor's side?

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:Wasn't there something where either EMD or GE made the door on the cab open to direct you towards the conductor's side?
So close the door and get off on the engineer's side?

Practice Safe CSX

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

He might be reffering to how the builders recently changed what side of the nose the front door is on on the new power.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

MQT3001 wrote:Wasn't there something where either EMD or GE made the door on the cab open to direct you towards the conductor's side?
like that the door is only on the conductors side? the door should open "out"
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

SD80MAC wrote:He might be reffering to how the builders recently changed what side of the nose the front door is on on the new power.
Ok? So...what's the point of the post then? Close the door and get off on the engineer's side.

I think it has more to do with setting a standard cab design then anything else. No more customization on locomotive cabs.

Practice Safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CSX_CO wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:He might be reffering to how the builders recently changed what side of the nose the front door is on on the new power.
Ok? So...what's the point of the post then? Close the door and get off on the engineer's side.

I think it has more to do with setting a standard cab design then anything else. No more customization on locomotive cabs.

Practice Safe CSX
I thought it was mentioned somewhere that its annoying to have to close the door then get off, especially when you are carrying something or when both crewmembers are trying to get off at the same time.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

MQT3001 wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:

Practice Safe CSX
I thought it was mentioned somewhere that its annoying to have to close the door then get off, especially when you are carrying something or when both crewmembers are trying to get off at the same time.
In that case, it doesn't matter one way or another; when the crew is getting on/off with their grips, the door is eventually going to be in the way. There is a rule about getting off on the field side (you aint supposed to get off in between mains, sidings, etc...people seem to not look and then get pasted by a passing train). We don't always get on/off the same side. In Villa Grove, there's a main and a siding and the depot is on the west side of the main. Coming south, if we hold the main we get off on the engineer's side, if we go in the siding, we get off on the conductor's side. Northbound, when we get on the train, if it's on the main, we board on the conductor's side and if it's in the siding, we get on on the engineer's side.

It may be a thing to "prompt" the conductor to get off on the engineer's side, but not so he doesn't have to shut the door. A lot of engineers don't like it when you leave the front door open, it bangs around and lets heat/AC out. The GE door placement change has been a recent change that took place after their cab standardization, but it may just have something to do with interior cab design or cab safety. They may not want a straight alley right up into the cab in the event of a grade crossing accident, etc. as debris can come right up into the cab. If the interior and exterior doors are offset (exterior door is on the left, interior door is on the right), it would be harder for debris to make it all the way up into the cab. Stuff like that is why you don't see any (well, very many, anyhow) front exterior cab door windows on UP. A lot of the 9043MAC's still have them but most have been plated over on everything from the 9043's and AC4400's to SD60Ms and C40-8Ws. Supposedly, debris broke through the window and came up into the cab in a crossing accident. Not sure of the details...I guess the interior door may have been open; but ever since this incident, no more peep hole windows.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

CSX_CO wrote:

Practice Safe CSX
I was just pointing it out, I never agreed with his reason for mentioning it. :lol:

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote: 2. Near the Snowplow, next to where its marked "SD40-2", what does that "F" mean?
It wasn't until April 15, 2012 that you learned what "F" stood for on a locomotive?? Heck, even *I* knew what it stood for! :lol: :P
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T wrote:
MQT3001 wrote: 2. Near the Snowplow, next to where its marked "SD40-2", what does that "F" mean?
It wasn't until April 15, 2012 that you learned what "F" stood for on a locomotive?? Heck, even *I* knew what it stood for! :lol: :P
I asked because I've never noticed a letter there before...had no clue

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote: I asked because I've never noticed a letter there before...had no clue
Just giving you a hard time because I probably know about 10% of what you know about trains. :twisted:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.