NS/NKP 765 Trips- Employee Appreciation

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

NS/NKP 765 Trips- Employee Appreciation

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

http://fortwaynerailroad.org/summer-ste ... -southern/

Released. Looks like 765 will be in some prime positions for photos this summer.

DelayInBlock
Railroadfan...fan

NKP 765 on the DEARBORN DIVISION?!

Unread post by DelayInBlock »

Just saw this on Twitter:

http://fortwaynerailroad.org/summer-ste ... -southern/

Admin edit: merged these two new threads.
Delay In Block Productions: "Railroading a Little Different than Usual."

Visit my YouTube Channel and Subscribe: http://www.YouTube.com/user/DelayInBlock
Like My Page on Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/DelayInBlockProductions

C30-7A
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS/NKP 765 Trips- Employee Appreciation

Unread post by C30-7A »

Just to clarify, the dates most on this site will be concerned with are July 14-15th (Lake Division) and 28-29th (Dearborn Division). The Lake Division includes the former NKP mainline from Chicago to Fort Wayne and on to Bellevue as well as the ex-Wabash main from Fort Wayne to Detroit. The Dearborn Division includes the Chicago Line, Detroit Line and the Michigan Line.
The Michigan Line will hopefully have been sold in entirety to the State of Michigan and Amtrak by this time, so it is almost certain the 765 will not be operating over it for these trips. I have no knowledge on if the trips include a visit to Detroit on either the Dearborn or Lake Divisions. We'll just have to wait and see.
If you can fly don't stop at the sky, 'cause there's footprints on the moon.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

From the rumor mills I would agree C30-7A. Sounds like Toledo, Bellevue, and Elkhart will be the closest 765 will be to Michigan this year.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I have heard rumors of the 765 running down the Marion Branch in July as well, but it doesn't look like that will come to fruition.
Bottom text.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

C30-7A wrote:Just to clarify, the dates most on this site will be concerned with are July 14-15th (Lake Division) and 28-29th (Dearborn Division). The Lake Division includes the former NKP mainline from Chicago to Fort Wayne and on to Bellevue as well as the ex-Wabash main from Fort Wayne to Detroit. The Dearborn Division includes the Chicago Line, Detroit Line and the Michigan Line.
The Michigan Line will hopefully have been sold in entirety to the State of Michigan and Amtrak by this time, so it is almost certain the 765 will not be operating over it for these trips. I have no knowledge on if the trips include a visit to Detroit on either the Dearborn or Lake Divisions. We'll just have to wait and see.

What was the deal on the Dearborn division? I have 3 locations in my mind, it was either sold from Ypsilanti west, Wayne junction west, or Dearborn west I can't rember exactly which one but the NKP could run to like green field village or something
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

There is another list out there that lists the towns the trips will run from. For Dearborn Div it lists Toledo. For the Lake Div. it lists Bellevue. For the Pittsburgh Div. it list Conway.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:There is another list out there that lists the towns the trips will run from. For Dearborn Div it lists Toledo. For the Lake Div. it lists Bellevue. For the Pittsburgh Div. it list Conway.
At least that probably means it will run across the NKP, hopefully between Fort Wayne and Bellevue. I'm sure it will run under terrible light/terrible weather conditions like most specials do though! :lol:
Bottom text.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Here you guys go from TRAINS, looks like the NKP will make it int Michigan :D
NORFOLK, Va. – Norfolk Southern has announced the tentative schedule for a series of steam-powered excursion trips for employees as part of the corporation’s 30th anniversary celebration. Trips on the northern part of the system will be pulled by Nickel Plate Road 2-8-4 No. 765, built by Lima in 1944 and owned by the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society. Trips on the southern part of the system will be pulled by Southern Railway 2-8-0 No. 630, built in 1904 by the American Locomotive Company and owned by the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum.

Each of the railroad’s 11 divisions will host several excursions. The trips are not open to the public, but are “invitation only” for employees. NS says details of the operations are still being worked out.

The trips will include moves on the former Pennsylvania Railroad main line over Horseshoe Curve west of Altoona, Pa. Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society’s Rich Melvin reports that NS is assisting the society to install cab signals on 765 so it can lead trains on the main line from Cleveland through Pittsburgh, Altoona, and Harrisburg, Pa. Norfolk Southern ES44AC No. 8100 (the Nickel Plate Road Heritage unit) will be tucked in behind No. 765 on all these moves.

The following is the tentative schedule, with the headquarters city listed for each division. Excursions will not necessarily originate at the division headquarters city, but it is being listed here to represent the geographic area of the system where trips will operate: 

June 2-3: Georgia Division, Atlanta 
June 9-10: Piedmont Division, Greenville, S.C.
June 30-July 1: Virginia Division, Roanoke, Va.
July 14-15: Central Division, Knoxville, Tenn.
July 21-22: Lake Division. Ft. Wayne, Ind.
July 28-29: Dearborn Division, Dearborn, Mich.
Aug. 4-5: Pocahontas Division, Bluefield, W.Va.
Aug. 11-12: Pittsburgh Division, Pittsburgh, Pa.
Aug. 18-19: Harrisburg Division, Harrisburg, Pa.
Sept. 8-9: Illinois Division, Decatur, Ill.
Sept. 15-16: Alabama Division, Birmingham, Ala.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

The issue with what you quoted is that they list the headquarters of each division. As far as I can tell, that doesn't necessarily mean that they will be in each of those cities. I may be reading it wrong though.
Last edited by Y@ on Wed May 09, 2012 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bottom text.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:Here you guys go from TRAINS, looks like the NKP will make it int Michigan :D

Go back and actually READ the article. The very last paragraph says alot and you could learn a lot.

That is the HQ of each of the divisions NOT where the train is going to run. Here is a list of the runs.
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?2,2761358
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Wow, if that's the full list, that really kinda sucks. I figured it'd be a little more extensive. I guess all the foamers overdramatized it.
Bottom text.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

On the other hand, Homestead to Airline via the Maumee bridge would be an excellent photo vantage point.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:
YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:Here you guys go from TRAINS, looks like the NKP will make it int Michigan :D

Go back and actually READ the article. The very last paragraph says alot and you could learn a lot.

That is the HQ of each of the divisions NOT where the train is going to run. Here is a list of the runs.
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?2,2761358
I read the article, including the last paragraph, I assumed ( :oops: ) that since the Dearborn division has a lot of tracks Michigan that it would make it into Michigan. I didn't get to read the TO thing till now. I don't know why I thought it would come to Michigan even after all of the other post... I didn't think this one through 100%. Anyway I learned.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Darn.....no Chesterton :x

I hpe they can make it up the hill around Horsehoe with all that slick foam on the ground.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow