How many trains go through these places/best spot

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
dalek ling
Railroadfan...fan

How many trains go through these places/best spot

Unread post by dalek ling »

So in the next couple of months, I plan to go to Thurmond WV, and Lynchburg VA, Thurmond I plan to be at the station area, and I was also wondering how many trains go by there a day

Also same for Lynchburg, I am wondering how many trains go through there and any good spot to see them, I know there are some cool bridges in the area.

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Re: How many trains go through these places/best spot

Unread post by Man o' War »

I live in the New River Gorge at Hawks Nest (Ansted), and I can say for certain that a slow day in Thurmond will net you at least 12 trains (24 hours). A good day can see at least 18 or more. Generally speaking, you will see 3 loaded coal trains averaging 150 cars headed east, and 3 empty hopper trains headed west which often have 200 or more cars. 1 loaded grain (corn/poultry feed for the Carolinas) and 1 empty grain westbound. The Amtrak Cardinals in both directions (which stop in Thurmond) 3 days a week. A general mechandise train in each direction. You may also catch R.J Corman running loads and empties from the mine at Pax on the old C&O Loup Creek Branch for interchange with CSX in Thurmond - couple times a week. Occasional unit tank trains run on the New River sub as well. Sometimes trains are fleeted - sometimes pretty well spaced out - it's a crap shoot. The drive from Glen Jean down into Thurmond is spectacular scenery, and you will pass Cormans office and facilities at Harvey - usually a pair of SD70's hanging out there. I have not been down for a couple of weeks due to having to spend time in Michigan a few months of the year on business, but not much changes down there! My wife and three daughters have an incredible view of the main line from our house at Hawks Nest 520 feet below our patio, where the mains are on both sides of the river. Life is good!
Hope this helps a little, and if I can answer any more questions for you, don't hesitate to ask!

Man o' War