Best Video Camera

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
ChessieForever
Railroadfan...fan

Best Video Camera

Unread post by ChessieForever »

I am in the market for a new video camera. Any suggestions out there on the best one to buy currently? Would prefer a camcorder over using my phone. Don't want something cheap but don't want to spend thousands either. Just something to get the job done that looks good.

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Best Video Camera

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

A number of YouTube channels use Canon camcorders such as the Canon VIXIA HF R600, which has been discontinued but can be found on eBay for a pretty good price.

Here's some test footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3-urln7FK4

David Collins
Train Paparazzi

Unread post by David Collins »

My recommendation is the Canon EOS M50 Mark II, an absolutely phenomenal multitasker with great video quality and photo quality. I have one for photo and occasionally video, and I’m planning to get another one as a dedicated video camera. It’s the best camera I’ve owned and is great for both beginners and more advanced folks.

With all the extra batteries, 55-200mm lens and misc items, it totaled up to ~900 bucks. A bargain in my opinion.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

Snapchat: daveeed1k

cole1020
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cole1020 »

My personal recommendation is the Canon Vixia HF R800, or any Canon RX00 series camcorder if you’re fine with 1080p and don’t want to break the bank. Just like the R600, it has since been discontinued, but you can find it in a few places for a reasonable price even new. The RX00 series has some excellent video and sound quality, especially for the price. Some of the older Canon 1080p camcorders have some very good quality too. I’m not exactly sure what happened, but the successor to the RX00 series, the W10 and the W11, have terrible image and video quality, despite being newer, so I would not recommend those. If you want something a little more expensive that is capable of shooting in 4K, then I would recommend the Canon G50-G70. These cameras are just about the best of the best when it comes to 4K video.

Budget Sony camcorders are okay. The CX405 has decent image quality, but less than stellar audio quality. It’s not too terrible of a camera though, but it’s a step down from what Canon offers. Just steer far, far clear of the CX240, which has just about the worst video and audio quality I’ve seen out of a camcorder.

With Panasonic, the audio is yet again, not great, and the video quality isn’t great either.

I’d recommend sticking with Canon, as they produce some of the best products for everyone. Hope this helps.

ChessieForever
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ChessieForever »

It helps a lot! Thanks. I will stick with Canon products and after much research, and not wanting to spend a grand at the moment, the Vixia HF R800 sounds pretty good. (If I can locate one) I really wish they still made it, but unfortunately as you said, they do not. Maybe someday I'll go after the G50-G70 but not right now. Thanks for the tips from all the responders!