The Railfans Guide To: Deshler, OH (Edition #1)

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Y@
Ass. Janitor

The Railfans Guide To: Deshler, OH (Edition #1)

Unread post by Y@ »

Thought I'd start doing this... these are basically guides to railfanning around several areas I know well, that many others on here don't.

TRAFFIC: Deshler is home to the CSX Chicago Line (Willard Sub) as well as the CSX Toledo Sub. Around 80-90 trains per day frequent Deshler. A good variety of power is also expected most of the time.

Willard Sub: Around 60 TPD use this line, including my personal favorites: Q383, Q387, Q390, and Q351. Hot times of the day are usually sunrise to noon, then around 4 p.m. to well after dark. From midnight to sunrise, traffic is hit-or-miss depending on how hot the line was the previous night.

Toledo Sub: From Deshler to Toledo, around 15 TPD use the line, but south of the diamond 25-30 use the sub, including such standards as Q500, Q501, Q506, Q507, Q516, and Q517. Traffic on the south side gets going in the mid-afternoon. North of the diamond it can be hit-or-miss. The three connecting wyes are on the NW, SW, and SE sides of the diamond. The SW is the most frequently used, and the NW is the least used. The usual crowd includes Q508, Q509, Q304, Q305, Q306, Q307, Q324, and Q325, and only 508 and 509 run daily. 304, 305, 306 and 307 have been very hit-or-miss lately, and I'm not sure that 306 and 307 are running at all anymore.

PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES: Contrary to some belief, Deshler has many good photo opps. Depending on the time of day, there are open lots on the SW and SE sides of the diamond that are good shots, as well as a shot from across the resovoir pond in the early morning for Toledo Sub shots. The park also offers good shots for the Chicago Line traffic.

FOOD and SHELTER: For food, there is a good eatery on main street, as well as a bar next door. There are also several fast-food joints in nearby North Baltimore. As for shelter, there is a pavilion with picinic tables, a grill, a firepit, and a built-in scanner. If you want to sleep, you'll have to settle for your car, because the only hotel nearby is in North Baltimore.

DIRECTIONS: From the north or south, take I-75 untill you get to the Rt. 18 intersection in North Baltimore. Take 18 west right into Deshler. From the east and west, just find 18 and ride it into town.

I hope you guys like these. I'll try to do a few more sometime soon from other areas around here.
Bottom text.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

then around 4 p.m. to well after dark. From midnight to sunrise, traffic is hit-or-miss depending on how hot the line was the previous night.

Unless things have changed, wich I dont think they have. 6:00 to Noon the next day was the best. After most go to sleep, begins the pariade. Lots of stuff after dark, more then durring the day.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

I've been there twice. I like it.

The second time I was there, it was the Monday morning of a holiday weekend. It looked like a hobo camp. :lol:

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Oh yeah, lots of old hats around there. I should've meantioned that alot of people come around there... somedays more than others.
Bottom text.

Rick M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rick M »

This is a helpful guide Y@, and learned a few more things. I hope to get to the "Corn City" a few more times this year.