Michigan Model Train shows question

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
aadti
Railroadfan...fan

Michigan Model Train shows question

Unread post by aadti »

Do you think the quality of the shows here in Michigan are on a downhill slide? I have been asked to manage a show in the spring, and I'm just not sure anymore.

Mark

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Re: Michigan Model Train shows question

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

The Ann Arbor model railroad club has been losing vendors.....:( BUT IS A GRREEAAAATTT SHOW! :D

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Novi's is coming up I think.... I want to go and see what its like.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Lansing has always been a good show. I always manage to walk away with a 100 or so less in my pocket. :D
You always get a good mix there in between all the scales then you get a few of the toy and jewlery tables.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

Dan M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan M »

I have missed the last Port Huron show, but I would say that there seemed to be less vendors in Lapeer and Port Huron in previous years. I can not speak for the Gratiot Valley train shows in Fraser.

Overall I think the economy has hit most modelers pretty hard. I sure hated paying $4.00 gas last summer and do not get me going on my propane bill! Those high bills cut into vendor's profits with less people coming to shows to buy. Many modelers are buying on line I think and we have seen quite a few hobby shops close their doors in the state over the last 5 years or more. The ones that stay open are diverse and sell other stuff too.

It sure looks shakey with the economy still in an endless downturn, but us diehard modelers need something to keep our minds on something good. I like going to shows and wished some were held more often. There is something about going to the shows that I enjoy, especially if I bring the boy.

Dan
I am now building the Pere Marquette Almont Subdivision.
You can keep up with it here: https://sites.google.com/site/pmalmontsub/home
Take a ride on the Trunk Line! http://trunklinephotography.blogspot.com/

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

i go to durand mt plesant and lansing they seem like good shows
member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

The number of vendors is down all over, not just in Michigan. It's been apparent at shows I've attended in Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania, too.

Part of it is that a lot of the guys who have been selling at shows for years are retiring from it as they get older, and a number of dealers have died.

Add to that a few brick-and-mortar hobby shops that used to attend shows but have now closed up shop, plus the guys who find it easier to sell online, and it's not too surprising that the number of dealers is down.
-Fritz Milhaupt

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

The same thing is happening in the numismatic realm also. Shows are smaller, dealers are fewer, it is cheaper to do online. Just another way the internet has changed our lives. :)

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

:!: :!: :!: Next Weekend is YORK. :!: :!: :!: Any one going :?:
Mark it Zero.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

TrainWatcher wrote:Novi's is coming up I think.... I want to go and see what its like.
Great Train Expo is Dec. 12th-13th....not exactly the greatest show, but really the only big one around. I plan on getting out to see the one in Chicago (Great Midwest Train Show) when I visit my brother.

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

Lansing in one of the best in Michigan.

More info here - https://www.msu.edu/~tdc2/lmrc/November ... w2009.html
Semi-retired railroader

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

conrailmike wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:Novi's is coming up I think.... I want to go and see what its like.
Great Train Expo is Dec. 12th-13th....not exactly the greatest show, but really the only big one around. I plan on getting out to see the one in Chicago (Great Midwest Train Show) when I visit my brother.

There's a monthly one out here too, held at the fairgrounds in Wheaton. It's usually five buildings worth of show, although some of the buildings aren't all that large. Seems to be the same dealers every time I've been there. The thing is, as far as the vendors go, there seems to be at least as good of a selection of good stuff at the monthly show as I can recall ever seeing at the Port Huron show and definitely far better than the South Bend show (St. Joe Valley Model RR Club). In addition to the economy only recently slowing down out here, the regularity of the show here and the sheer number of model railroaders here (as compared to other areas) probably have contributed to the success of the show...
~ Charles W.