PM Almont Sub Track Plan- Final

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
Dan M
Railroadfan...fan

PM Almont Sub Track Plan- Final

Unread post by Dan M »

Considering the design, considering the space (about four feet narrower), and the operational goal I wanted to put in to my next model railroad, I can safely say this plan will work. From the previous post, I have rearranged the yard tracks, made the engine terminal a bit smaller, added a passing siding outside of the yard (as not to foul or occupy yard trackage), and added a few cross overs to aid in the yard / local trains operating in the yard. The narrowest point of an isle is 28" for one foot with the other isle spaces 30" or greater (more than that would be nice). I think I could safely operate three, maybe four trains in the room at a time with 4 grown adults.

Also added, but not in the initial rough plan, was the Marine Logistics Base. This provides a nice switching detail for one person and could keep them busy for a good half hour (that's how long it took me to switch out 8 cars and put in 7 new ones). It would be on its own DCC power district or kept in DC mode until I get a USMC DCC 44 Ton switcher. I have a GE 60 Ton switcher the PM will loan them in DC for the time being. Darn Jarheads keep breaking the equipment!

Still one thing to consider is possibly signals at he Leonard Crossing. This is where the GTW has trackage rights on the PM to Port Huron and back (from Pontiac via PO&N). This could also add some running time to the line for trains waiting for the signal to clear before proceeding. The short stub end staging at Leonard crossing represents the Caseville turn coming back. It would be hidden behind the backdrop and trees.

Turnouts- I am thinking of purchasing the Fast Tracks #5, #6, to hand make T.O.s. Anyone else have this set up? As far as turnout machines go, I will probably make all crossovers powered by the few Tortoise SMs I have and perhaps some stationary decoders for the future. The staging yard will be Tortoise SMs and I would like the ability to do route selection on the through tracks. Small cheap wireless cameras and an old PC may come in handy for the staging yard and "dispatch" if I choose to man that in the future.

For the most part, track warrants (like GTW) and train orders will govern the movement of trains during an operating session, otherwise I'll just let them fly or just make up switch lists to relax. The only timetable train will be the PM Passenger trains. Now to find a nice Pacific and some varnish!

Open areas would be wooded areas, orchards, and farmland. Not all buildings and structures are pictured and some things may change. The east end of the yard has a loco / car shop there for a small industry.

Anyway, looks like the hard work of construction could start this month at a slow pace. It will be hard to squeeze in during the busy end of year stuff, but I need to get something going here.

List of Industries
ALMONT
Grain Elevator- grains, seeds, fertilizer, farm implements
Aeromotive Specialties- chemicals, granule plastic, goods
J & D's Pickles and Produce- fruit, pickles, apples, etc.

MOORE YARD
Lapeer Locomotive Rebuilders- Metal, motors, oil, heavy machinery, railroad eqpt.
Joe's Toys- wood, plastic, sheetmetal
Engine Terminal- Oil, diesel fuel, coal, machine parts, sand, ash, wood

Great Lakes Marine Corps Reserve Logistics Base- liquid fuels, oil, food, meat, lumber, military supplies, munitions, vehicles, tops secret supplies (mystery boxcars), and other materials.

PM Roster Modern Era
GP-38-2- #s 100, 101 (ex-C&0 7828)
GP-35 # 350
GP-30 #s 300, 301
GP-7 #s 700, 701
SW-9 # 55
SW-1 # 10
GE 60 Ton (leased to USMC)
E-7 #96 excursions
2-8-4 # 1236 excursions
SD-40-2 (ex UP) 1928, 1932 (wish list)

PM Steam Era Roster
2-8-2 #s 1022, 1023, 1034, 1024
2-8-4 #s 1209, 1236
0-8-0 #s 1409, 1409(new extra, no DCC for sale $120.00)
GP-7 #s 700, 701
SW-1 # 10
E-7 #96

USMC Roster
GE 44 ton (wish list)

GTW Roster
Qty
GP-40 2
GP-38 4
SD-40 2
2-8-2 2
GP-9
S-2

Well, that sums up what I can start up with (with exception of wish list items). Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Any good ideas on a turntable??? 100' would be perfect, but 90 would work too.

Dan
I am now building the Pere Marquette Almont Subdivision.
You can keep up with it here: https://sites.google.com/site/pmalmontsub/home
Take a ride on the Trunk Line! http://trunklinephotography.blogspot.com/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: PM Almont Sub Track Plan- Final

Unread post by AARR »

No suggestions. Looking forward to watchinging the progress.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

Dan M wrote:The short stub end staging at Leonard crossing represents the Caseville turn coming back. It would be hidden behind the backdrop and trees.
You may want to figure out how long a train you want to hide back there (engine + ? cars + cab). I would be inclined to extend it out on peninsula as far as I could to maximize the train length. Not sure what your plans are for scenery on the peninsula, though.
Dan M wrote:The only timetable train will be the PM Passenger trains. Now to find a nice Pacific and some varnish!
If you don't already know, the Pere Marquette Historical Society publishes a modeler's guide. If you don't have one, it might be worth shooting them an e-mail to get one.

Looks great!

MIGN-Bill
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Bill »

I think you will be very happy with this layout - lots of operation with a feeling of having somewhere to go. Great Design!

Will your two staging areas be connected for continuous running (it is nice sometimes just to let them run)?

I started my layout by handlaying turnouts (using purchased frogs) but found that it took up way too much of my limited modeling time and thus it slowed the progress of the layout. Although I am not happy with the look of the Atlas turnouts I have been using - it has drastically sped up progress.

I like your double ended yard - I have a stub ended yard that is not working too good - I think yours should work effectively.

What will be your typical train length?

Bill

Dan M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan M »

You may want to figure out how long a train you want to hide back there (engine + ? cars + cab). I would be inclined to extend it out on peninsula as far as I could to maximize the train length. Not sure what your plans are for scenery on the peninsula, though.
Funny thing is I was thinking about that and wondering how I could add a few extra cars on too. Since the grade at the end of the peninsula is going up (counter clockwise) I could extend that track down under it to the layout edge from Leonard Crossing. The grade could be steeper than 3% due to the short train I could fit in there (10 cars w/caboose) and it would still be hidden. That would be enough to switch the interchange or simulate the GTW turn on it way south. Fine idea there and I was just a few steps back on figuring that one out. Thanks.

Perhaps even an extension to the staging yard across the way? Hmmmmm.

Dan

Dan M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan M »

MIGN-Bill wrote: Will your two staging areas be connected for continuous running (it is nice sometimes just to let them run)?
Yes, they will be connected for continuous run. For now I am planning one main and six staging tracks. The stub ends I will figure in for storage and staging too.
MIGN-Bill wrote:I like your double ended yard - I have a stub ended yard that is not working too good - I think yours should work effectively.
What will be your typical train length?
I have used both types of yards and the better yards are double ended, but that does not mean stubs are bad, it just means you can only drill from one end. The main passing siding is 28' long, so trains longer than that will be rare. I once ran 70 cars on my old layout, with one pusher on the rear end!

My main concern is the clearance under the main layout for the staging layout and access. My last layout was a scarce 4" high... just three tracks for staging, but it was a pain to access when something broke, especially turnouts! Due to this, I am thinking of a way to make the yard ladder a drop out section so if there are issues, I can just unscrew it from the bottom and have access to them and not worry about ripping up the layout above... yeh, been there and done that!

Anyone want to tackle this Proto-freelance?

Dan M