Annie GP35 model

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Annie GP35 model

Unread post by GP9R »

Ok. I see now

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Wonder how many times as a 'joke' they turned the bell on when someone was using the facilities in the nose...

Practice Safe CSX

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

I have a model of 390 I made out of an Athearn Shell back in the 90's when there was no alternative.

Nice Job! To me making something like that is far more fun then any fancy schmancy $175 model out there today. Losing Athearn Blue Boxes has killed the hobby for me, I could really care less now.

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

F40PH Fan wrote:Are you going to put the bell notched in the nose?
It wouldn't be notched "in the nose", rather in the right side of the short hood...

The bell... Yes, That is quite the conundrum... I have a couple of KATO GP-35's that are reserved for AA units, but I too have a difficult time figuring out how to modify the shells to be accurate. Biggest thing is the notched hood for the bell. Probably some Plastruct "C" channel cut into side of the the hood would work. Gotta' be sure it dosen't interfere with the drive-train though.. ( the inner details might well clash with any needed drivetrain modifications... ) Looks like go-as-you-see-it kind of "kitbash.." I'll leave the details up to the rest of you guys...

Todd

F40PH Fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by F40PH Fan »

Ben Higdon wrote:No super detailing...it wouldn't be worth it with the ultra wide carbody the old Athearn GP35's had. Someday I'll be able to invest in some high quality motive power, for now the best power I've got is a couple Proto 2000 engines and an old Atlas C424. The Athearn blue boxes work fine for a road freight, but not so great for the amount of switching I do. One plus for the old Athearn's in my book is the sound they make, I like the bucket o' bolts sound some of the oldsters make!
:( That is to bad I would have loved to seen that nose bell detail done in HO scale.

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Todd Cline wrote:
F40PH Fan wrote:Are you going to put the bell notched in the nose?
It wouldn't be notched "in the nose", rather in the right side of the short hood...

The bell... Yes, That is quite the conundrum... I have a couple of KATO GP-35's that are reserved for AA units, but I too have a difficult time figuring out how to modify the shells to be accurate. Biggest thing is the notched hood for the bell. Probably some Plastruct "C" channel cut into side of the the hood would work. Gotta' be sure it dosen't interfere with the drive-train though.. ( the inner details might well clash with any needed drivetrain modifications... ) Looks like go-as-you-see-it kind of "kitbash.." I'll leave the details up to the rest of you guys...

Todd
TSBY GP35 Nose Bell photo

AA GP35 Nose Bell diagram graphic

I have a S Scale Annie GP35 scale by American Model Trains . I noticed two missing - nose bell and headlights low nose hood.
This is hi-rail; I prefer a scale.
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams