I'm Back! New Decals (and old ones too) coming soon!

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

I'm Back! New Decals (and old ones too) coming soon!

Unread post by OaklandCountyCustoms »

Hello everyone. Despite the web site being down I am still here and kicking and slowly returning all of the backed up e-mail. I haven't painted anything since Feb 2009 for many reasons but as fall gets closer i think it may be time to reopen the spray booth. I've had several requests for the older decals, LSRC and such... those can be done. The next new set up will be the long awaited Huron and Eastern in the C&O look. as soon as i have prototypes available i will post and take orders. Glad to see alot of people are still on here... hope all is well with everyone.
Last year Atlas and microscale did a few of my ideas...we need to keep the rest secret!

chris

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: I'm Back! New Decals (and old ones too) coming soon!

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Glad to have you back Chris! Can't wait to see the HESR decals!

cmgnnut
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cmgnnut »

are those like the ones Craig Wilson made years ago ?

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

As a matter of fact, his are the basis for this set. He gave me permission a few years ago to use his art for future projects. There are going to be some changes...like new road numbers for the GP38 units, not just the GP9's like he had.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Dont forget not all the GP38-2's had the script lettering. At least one had the side lettering in block style. It was 201.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Trust me, I have all that in the sets...I spent a long time looking at pictures to get them right.
Chris

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Ok but unless he updated the sets, after I bought some, and as I have asked many many people and they have all said no, then there is no block lettering. I know you said there would be some changes but all you mentioned about was 38-2 numbers not correct lettering. Also I have had lots and lots of people tell me in this world "Dont worry I did lots of research on this" and they still did not get it even close, so dont get excited if I take that with a grain of salt.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

stfdbeeker
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by stfdbeeker »

Welcome back! glad to see things are getting better for you ... I am looking foreward to some more LSRC decals for my 5921 project. keep up the good work!

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

sd70, i don't recall if you've ever purchased any decals from me in the past, but i'm sure those that have will tell you what lengths i go through to make sure they are as accurate as possible. my LSRC had 9 or 10 different road numbers, each unique. This HESR project is nothing in comparison.
201 has cargo stencil font on cab and body...there are 2 different nose logos as 201 was different as well. As far as the GP9 units go, nothing has changed...just fresh remakes of the original.
Now for some people there is just no such thing as good enough, i rivet count to a certain extent, but some are just plain impossible to please. Since all of the GP38-2 unit decals are made using poor quality, old, 3/4 view pictures as a reference some approximations have to be made on size, but with our knowledge of how large items on the locomotive are we usually get it pretty darn close. Good example would be my CM U-boat decals...they are right on par with the new Atlas release. Take me at my word, other customers word, or let it remain a grain of salt. i will let you decide when they come in.

stfd, i sent you an e-mail...let me know if there are any other LSRC you are wanting. this will probably be my last reorder and i have no extra orders planned. (and thanks!)

Chris

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

Hey, I'd really like to see some decal sets for mid-1970's era "Hillsdale County" covered hoppers.. If you decide to make any you can count on me for at least 4 HO scale sets... ( I know that isn't much, but I bet others will jump on these as well.)...
Todd

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Todd, do you have a good image of one of these hoppers? The only issue with custom short run decals is the up front cost i face in having them designed. Unfortunately 4 orders doesn't come close to just the fee for setting up the order let alone printing it. Since this is something that i do not model i'd need a minimum of 10-15 orders so i don't lose money on the set. Making these decals truly doesn't turn a profit, more or less makes the next set possible, etc...
I'd like to see an image though, i'll try to do anything i can to make more local items available.

If you have a good image send to my e-mail or post here. Oaklandcountycustoms@yahoo.com
Chris

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Oakland Customs i think you need to make WC 3026 the map unit :D

cmgnnut
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cmgnnut »

Chris
What do you have for the CM Units U boats or others ?

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Which covered hoppers are we talking about Todd, the single-bay airslides or the blue grain cars that were 'stationed' in Iowa and only made it to home rails once on accident (mis-routed)??

I have a set for each of these somewhere in my basement; is it possible to use a set as a template to make more??

I also have about 5 sets for the orange boxcars that they used; at one time the Hillsdale Railroad Club sold the orange boxcar and the blue covered hopper as a fundraiser. I know we used the Front Range car for the hopper and I'm thinkin' we used the Front Range car for the boxcar too--can't remember for certain though.

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

GLC 392 wrote:Oakland Customs i think you need to make WC 3026 the map unit :D
forgive me, i'm not familiar with this unit. i'll have to look it up. is this a CN aquisition with CNNA map on it?

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

cmgnnut wrote:Chris
What do you have for the CM Units U boats or others ?
I have all the U-boat numbers and GP38's pre HESR... although, I do have the HESR "rail america" decals, but not enough to sell, was a one time set up somebody did for me. In the future i will have the bloody nose unit and B units, perhaps even the transfer caboose... i'm thinking that set may have to be done through microscale due to the need for gray decals...need to be silk screened. However, they require a minimum order of 150 or 175 sheets which may superceed the demand by... ALOT. so it will depend on how much i'm willing to lose on the venture. Odd are i'll do it anyway like i did with the SEMTA decals... but will have to wait.

If you're interested in U-boats, i have many undecorated U boats that i could paint up also.

Chris

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Buster Manning wrote:Which covered hoppers are we talking about Todd, the single-bay airslides or the blue grain cars that were 'stationed' in Iowa and only made it to home rails once on accident (mis-routed)??

I have a set for each of these somewhere in my basement; is it possible to use a set as a template to make more??

I also have about 5 sets for the orange boxcars that they used; at one time the Hillsdale Railroad Club sold the orange boxcar and the blue covered hopper as a fundraiser. I know we used the Front Range car for the hopper and I'm thinkin' we used the Front Range car for the boxcar too--can't remember for certain though.
ABSOLUTELY! it would be MUCH easier to do that...and much cheaper also. that would eliminate most of the design expense and it would still need to be converted to a printable file type for the ALPS printer. If you provide templates i"ll throw a couple sets your way.

Chris

cmgnnut
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cmgnnut »

send me a list of what you have for sale for CM and price

sandpatch1
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by sandpatch1 »

I was thinking of doing some Detroit Terminal Decals but hit a wall on making decals, WILL YOU be making and Detroit Terminal decals for the diesel switchers? I am still trying a source for the herald and using some "close enough" stripes for the nose work. ,
Thanks and welcome back
dave jakubiec
livonia mi

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

sandpatch1 wrote:I was thinking of doing some Detroit Terminal Decals but hit a wall on making decals, WILL YOU be making and Detroit Terminal decals for the diesel switchers? I am still trying a source for the herald and using some "close enough" stripes for the nose work. ,
Thanks and welcome back
dave jakubiec
livonia mi
Dave,
A few years ago i did plan on doing decals for those units. Since i fell a couple years behind schedule those are still in the distant future. How soon did you need them? Another issue will be the number of sets you need/want. Due to the cost of design and printing i need to have enough preorders for any one set to make it worthwhile (i.e., to break even). Let me know and we'll see what we can do. I took a look at the photos, by the looks of it all units are pretty much the same so each set could do any of the locos.

Chris