Turnouts on our new layout

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
rthornton
Railroadfan...fan

Turnouts on our new layout

Unread post by rthornton »

My sons and I are starting to build our new layout this weekend. This will be our first (and hopefully last) attempt at this and the question I have is; What number turnouts should I use on our mainline and which should I use in the switching yard? We will be going with Code 83 track but we have not decided which manufacturer to go with. Also, we will be running 2 mainlines with 18" radius on the inner and 22" on the outer. Could someone please shed some light on this for us. Thanks
Modeling the B&O & C&O in the late 60's early 70's

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Turnouts on our new layout

Unread post by AARR »

At slow speeds with 50' or smaller equipment #4's are fine. You can go #5's on the mainoine if you like.

For higher speeds and/or longer equipment go #6's with the borader curve.

Also, for compactness and to squeeze in an extra car or two consider curved turnouts. With curved turnouts check the inside and outside radius fof the turnout to determine what size you need to match your radius.

I use Atlas Mark IV and Walther's brands but other ones are also good.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

I tend to mix and match mine. I use #6's when coming off the mainline and #4's in yards and such. I have 22" and 24" on my mainlines. Alot has to be taken into, space consideration mostly. However, if you're running 18" minimum on the mainline. I think #4's should be good enough.

Are you going tih 18" and 22" for the snap track reason, because if so. When I do is use the 22" and then use felx track to do my 24". You could use your 22" and then do a 20" inside turn. Just a random thought is all.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

First if you are not using snap track/eazy-track (atlas,kato,bachmann) I would recommend allowing enough room in the curves for passenger equipment or anything over 60ft long(i.e. 22 and 25 inch Rad track). If that is the size equipment you'll be using I would recommend #6 at least entering and exiting the mains... Possibly in the yards too. When you are running passenger equipment or autoracks or intermodal, #4s are harder to negotiate in the yard(expecially push through).
Second, in terms of brand of switch, what are you using for track...
A: Snap track, use what ever brand you have track in for compatibility.
B: if not "snap" and your switches are accessible with in practical reach, pecos are nice for the power routing, and have no need to add caboose ground throws. A cheaper option is atlas... I think that you may want to use caboose ground throws with them or under table switch machines, not the ones mounted on their sides. I have head and found great reliability in shinohara, though they are expensive.

But if you are tight on space #4s are fine. But not on the mains unless your modeling a logging or industrial line, or a shoreline with 50ft and under equipment.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

I'm building a new layout and I'm personally going with Peco on my visible track. I like the spring in the points that keeps the points against the stock rails. Also have code 75, which works well on my switching layout. A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.

One thing to bear in mind is Peco is manufactured in Britain. So, unless you go the American code 83 route, they're turnouts are based on 'radius'. Small, medium, and large radius turnouts. Small I think is around 22"? I know their large curved radius turnouts are 24" on the outside, and 22" on the inside.

Practice Safe CSX

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

CSX_CO wrote:I'm building a new layout and I'm personally going with Peco on my visible track. I like the spring in the points that keeps the points against the stock rails. Also have code 75, which works well on my switching layout. A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Practice Safe CSX
I hear nothing but good about Peco but my own personal experience is Atlas and Walthers are very good operationally. I gauge my wheels and follow car weight recommendations so perhaps that contributes to my very good experience.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Hugh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hugh »

I prefer Micro Engineering.

rthornton
Railroadfan...fan

We had planned on using Atlas or Walthers Code 83 for track and using Caboose ground throws for the turnouts. Our era of modeling will be late 60's - early 70's with mostly box car and a few grain hoppers for our layout. Eventually, we will be adding a steel mill but that is probably "Phase 6" of this layout. (Oh yeah, already plannin' ahead) We will be running mostly GP's and Dash's on the 18" line. Does that look like it could be a problem? We have a couple SD's but figured that would be too big for the 18"s so we had hoped we could run them on the 22"s? The layout right now will be in the shape of an "L" with the long leg being 4x16 and the bottom leg being 4x10. I do have space to increase size if I have too. Do you think the 22"s are big enough or should I go bigger? Thanks for the info. Rob

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

22 will work if the biggest thing you are going to run is SD40-2s and 50'cars. Anything bigger as in SD50's and 60' cars or longer cars need at least a 26" minimum. Right now I plan on running the most modern power, and autoracks, so I am using 28". But that is for this layout in my apartment. When we get a house, I plan on at least 32" if not 36".
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Old Hogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Old Hogger »

I ended up using Atlas #6 everywhere except mainline passing sidings (those are Walthers #8), could not afford Peco or ME. The Atlas have worked out pretty well.

You do have access to both sides of your layout? At 4' wide, you'll need it.

rthornton
Railroadfan...fan

Went to the local hobby store today and found nothing in the way of comparison/contrast for turnouts. Did some more reading, looked at the 30 or 40 magazines we have and decided to go with the #6's everywhere and save the #4's for our switching yard. Templates are being copied so we can lay them out as soon as the benchwork is complete. Stopped by Home Depot, Lowes & Menards today as well to do some bargain shopping. Will go back in the morning and get all the lumber necessary to start the benchwork as well as the paint for the basement walls. Totally psyched about starting this layout. Photos of the progress will be coming soon. Thanks for all the input. You guys rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!