CSX Board Em Coke Car

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

CSX Board Em Coke Car

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

This is the fist modeling I have done in 8 years.
Most everyone knows I will eventually model CSXT's Saginaw & Toledo Terminal Subs, when I finally get a basement, in the meantime I have been working on locomotives and cars. A while back CSX took some old woodchip cars and rebuilt them by cutting out the middle two bays and putting them back together.

I have been wanting to do the same and to that end, I purchased a pair of Walthers 7000 Cf. Greenville Woodchip cars. One in CSX and one in Seaboard System. Well I finaly got around to doing the Seaboard System car, and here it it. I call it the Board Em car.

Its not a hard car to do, just like the prototype, I cut the car near the ribs, cutting out the middle 6 pannels. After that I cut out the frame like wise but did it in such a way it is hidden behind a hopper bay. After sanding the peices square, I cut the supporting rib off of each end of the new car (both cuts were to the inside of the last rib), and sanded it smooth. Next step was to buy some Evergreen channel styreen strips and pant them yellow. I cut those to a scale 12' and glued they over the joint of the two halves.

The only minor stuff left to do was putty and sand the joints on the top rib, bottem rib and inside of each joint. Next I paintd the inside of the joints and outside ribs with engine black, along with painting out the old reporting marks. Then where the CSXT was going to go, I painted a retangle of grimy black to simulate where the car had previously been restencled CSXT when it was added to the fleet. And finaly was to give it its new CSXT and car number with a CSX decal set.

Here is what it started out as.
And now what it looks like.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: CSX Board Em Coke Car

Unread post by Y@ »

Nice work Matt!
Bottom text.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

:shock: Really looks like the real thing, bravo Matt.

CSXPAID
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXPAID »

nice matt, cant wait to see more of your modeling

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Ditto! And I like your layout too. Have you started building it yet?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

If you refer to the one I was posting photos of last year, its gone. We had to move, from 1800 sq. ft. to 800.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

Awesome kitbash! I've wanted to do a couple of these myself. I'd like to do one of the Family Lines System ones though, so they just say "FAMILY" with the Family Lines logo next to it (the section removed had the "LINES SYSTEM" lettering):