ANN ARBOR / GTW HO

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
A No.1
To Portland

ANN ARBOR / GTW HO

Unread post by A No.1 »

Mark it Zero.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: ANN ARBOR / GTW HO

Unread post by AARR »

I hope my layout turns out half as good as Todd's!!!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

Thanks for posting that Aaron. Been wanting to show these folks what I've been up to... Any of you guys get around the Battle Creek area, let me know. Stop by for a beer and a layout tour!

Todd

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michigan Railfan »

That's one great layout! Do you have a YouTube account yourself, Todd? I'd love to see more of the layout.
Jake
Railroading YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/trainster100
Aviation YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtwdelta763

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

No, I don't have the tech. knowledge to do all this internet video stuff. I am REALLY old school. I suppose I could try to figure it out, but I spend my free time trying to get the results you have seen on those videos that my friend has posted for me. That's how I enjoy the hobby.

I always welcome visitors though, and feel free to bring your cameras!
Todd

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

That's a very nice layout, Todd. Do you do DCC and have an operation plan?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Todd Cline wrote:Thanks for posting that Aaron. Been wanting to show these folks what I've been up to... Any of you guys get around the Battle Creek area, let me know. Stop by for a beer and a layout tour!

Todd
I don't get over there often but if I do I will definetely take you up on your offer!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Chrisracer8903 wrote:That's a very nice layout, Todd. Do you do DCC and have an operation plan?
No DCC yet. As I say, I'm not a "high tech" kind of guy. As for an operation plan it goes like this, grab cold beer, grab throttle knob, relax. :)

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

You have a very nice layout Todd, maybe someday if I get back up to Michigan again I'll take you up on that offer to visit.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Todd: Absolutely fantastic looking layout 8) RDD

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

COLD BEER TO!
Mark it Zero.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

The BELL detail that Todd did on the AA units in the video. AWESOME JOB MAN>

Mark it Zero.

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

That is a great job IMO as well. Nice continuous run around an extended dog-bone; I'd like to do something similar in my 12.5'x27' train room someday, perhaps when the kids have grown. Right now I'm satisfied to be working on a 24"x20' "chainsaw" shelf plan, about all I can muster with the time I have. Still, much better than staying in the armchair.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Nice Todd. Looks like the GTW Battle Creek shop and power house in there, with yard and car shop at other end? Is that the Lansing GTW station? Looks just like the Kalamazoo freight house across the tracks from it.

I like the PC switcher and transfer caboose! 8)

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Bump.

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Hi Ben, I just revisited this thread today, To answer your question, yes, I did pattern my shops area after the Battle Creek shops. Didn't get it 100%, but with the limited space I had, I thought I pulled it off pretty good. As for the depot, It is a Life-Like box kit that I tried to simulate the old NYC depot in B.C. The Freight house in the picture was a kitbash/scratchbuilt combo patterned on the B.C, freight house. The Union Pump factory you see was also patterned from the B.C. structure that stood until around 1990. My father worked there, I have many fond memories of that place. I really like seeing the old photos you post here, I too used to hang out at BO tower in the 1970's-1990's. Do you remember Walt Wilson? I still see him at Meijers once in a while.
If you are still in the area, you are welcome to stop by and see the layout. Shoot me a PM.
Todd

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Very good looking layout, Todd, and yes, I think you did get the feel of the GTW shops in BC pretty well... An exact copy of the prototype would definitely eat up some layout space, not to mention some tricky trackwork! :D

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Wow would love to swing by sometime and check it out!
Nick

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Todd Cline wrote:Hi Ben, I just revisited this thread today, To answer your question, yes, I did pattern my shops area after the Battle Creek shops. Didn't get it 100%, but with the limited space I had, I thought I pulled it off pretty good. As for the depot, It is a Life-Like box kit that I tried to simulate the old NYC depot in B.C. The Freight house in the picture was a kitbash/scratchbuilt combo patterned on the B.C, freight house. The Union Pump factory you see was also patterned from the B.C. structure that stood until around 1990. My father worked there, I have many fond memories of that place. I really like seeing the old photos you post here, I too used to hang out at BO tower in the 1970's-1990's. Do you remember Walt Wilson? I still see him at Meijers once in a while.
If you are still in the area, you are welcome to stop by and see the layout. Shoot me a PM.
Todd
I never met Mr. Wilson, he must have retired before I started visiting the tower around 1993. Nearly all of my time up there was while Joe Vorachek or Al Johnson were on the job. Thanks for the invite...I'd love to see the layout. Time is a very hot commodity for me these days though with a little one at home. I'll keep it in mind.