National Train Show in GR

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
GAP
Railroadfan...fan

National Train Show in GR

Unread post by GAP »

Is anyone else planning on going to the national model train show in Grand Rapids August 3, 4 or 5? Admission is expensive but I went to the one in Madison WI about 20 years ago and there was EVERYTHING there. I figure it's too big of a deal to miss so close to home.

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Re: National Train Show in GR

Unread post by Todd Cline »

How much is the admission? Only reason I ask is you said it was expensive.

Todd

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

You can find details on the National Train Show, including a list of exhibitors and vendors, at http://nationaltrainshow.com.

Admission is $12, plus you'll have to pay for parking in downtown GR-- it all ends up being comparable to what it costs to see a first-run movie, with all the trimmings.

This show is not like any of the ones that clubs run annually around here. It's a train show, a trade show, and a big display to promote the hobby.

The show is heavy on layout displays and manufacturers' booths. The vendors tend to be larger regional dealers, or smaller manufacturers selling their own product. There won't be any "one guy clearing out his collection" tables at this show (booth space is way too expensive for that). Generally speaking, if you go to shows only to try to buy stuff for tiny fractions of list price, this show would disappoint you.

If you want to speak with manufacturers' reps, see newly-announced products, and see a large assortment of exhibit layouts, then this show is the only one like it in Michigan for the foreseeable future. It's more comparable to TrainFest in Milwaukee, but again without the smaller one-off table vendors.

A few companies that you would normally only be able to deal with online will be there, such as Fast Tracks.

The National Train Show caps off the NMRA National Convention, which is being held July 29-August 4 in Grand Rapids. Details are at http://www.gr2012.org
-Fritz Milhaupt

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

To echo what Fritz said, its going to be the only time you'll get to see all those brand new product releases that appear in Model Railroader magazine up close and in person as the hobby manufacturers use this show to show off new products or highlight upcoming ones.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I haven't done much digging, but is the convention going to be at DeVos Hall or the Deltaplex or someplace else?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

It will be in DeVos from what I have seen.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

bnsfben wrote:It will be in DeVos from what I have seen.
That makes the most sense. They've got LOTS of parking....great space. I go to the Home & Garden show every year 8)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

fmilhaupt wrote: Admission is $12, plus you'll have to pay for parking in downtown GR...
No you won't. If you go on Saturday or Sunday, there is plenty of free parking in downtown GR. No reason to pay for something you can get for free with a little extra effort (walking).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T wrote:
fmilhaupt wrote: Admission is $12, plus you'll have to pay for parking in downtown GR...
No you won't. If you go on Saturday or Sunday, there is plenty of free parking in downtown GR. No reason to pay for something you can get for free with a little extra effort (walking).
DeVos Place has an underground parking ramp. It's located on the north side of the building, on Michigan Street (which is Bridge Street on the other side of the river). Parking for 30 minutes costs $1, $8 for event parking. That ramp is pretty big. There is also a ramp on the other side of Monroe, IDK what those rates are.

You can always park a ways away and ride the Rapid to the convention....you might get lucky and have that day be a Clean Air Action day, then bus rides are FREE.

Parking Meters Downtown are enforced from 8am to 5pm Monday to Friday, after 5pm they are free unless otherwise posted....

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote:
Parking Meters Downtown are enforced from 8am to 5pm Monday to Friday, after 5pm they are free unless otherwise posted....
Exactly my point. No need to pay for parking when you can find free parking everywhere downtown at metered spots. However, if you're not physically capable of a walking more than a few blocks, then I can understand paying for the Devos lot.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Sounds cool, I just may go to that.
Mark it Zero.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

Sounds like I'd have better luck finding things there than trying to order/backorder from Walthers!

Todd

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Todd Cline wrote:Sounds like I'd have better luck finding things there than trying to order/backorder from Walthers!

Todd
you'll at least find out if the mfg. is out or watlhers just isn't ordering.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Heading there tomorrow morning at 10am. Going solo so I can take my time looking at everything. :)

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Shoooting for Sunday, family actually says they want to go, so we'll see how long they hold up! :evil:

Anybody already been there that can give us a little preview?

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

As said elsewhere, this is a trade show, not a train show. The handful of vendors there, had some of the most insane prices I have ever seen, alot of which on 5+ year old, well shuffled stock.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

I was there from about 3 to 5:30ish today. I spent much of my time foaming the layouts. My favorite was the large point-to-point single-track layout. The European layout was pretty cool too.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I went yesterday with bnsfben and cnw8835. Loved seeing all the new products from Athearn, Kato, ExactRail, Walthers and others. The layouts were really cool, too. The giant point to point was really cool.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

The Freebeer and Hotwings show is about to play an audio clip of their producer (who does stunts for the show) at the train show mocking foamers. :lol:

97.9 out of GR.