cleaning track

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
lsi3009
Railroadfan...fan

cleaning track

Unread post by lsi3009 »

just was wondering what other modelers use too clean the tracks on their model rr, ive im the past have used, goo gone. bright boy, rail zip and areo cleaning lubericants. what works the best for you... let me hear what you other modelers use.... thanks lsi3009

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Re: cleaning track

Unread post by trnwatcher »

There is no one "magic bullet" to cleaning track. I've experimented with almost all the products on the market in the last 30 years and have not found one that is head and shoulders about the rest. Goo Gone leaves a residue behind, very fine sand paper or other abrasives clean the track ok but they can leave scratches in the rail. Isopropol alcohol cleans rails pretty well but all the track cleaning cars\tools on the market all seem to lack the ability to clean the track in one or two go rounds. I prefer a bright boy but have had issues with them leaving fine particals behind plus they are hard to get into bridges, tight or hidden areas. I've found that keep the humidty, temperature, and dust in the train room controlled goes a long way to helping keep the track clean. Also cleaning your rolling stock's wheels (cars and locomotive) frequently can keep your track clean longer also.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Re: cleaning track

Unread post by hoborich »

After several years, my track was so dirty I could barely get a train around the layout.I would spot clean the track, where locos stalled, but it was like playing Whack A Mole. I finally bit the bullet and laid out $139.00 for a CMX track cleaning car. It's the best money I ever spent. It has a pad under a tank car. You can use alcohol, nail polish remover, or acetone. I used the acetone. I can now run my worst running locos around the layout with no stalling or stumbling. I thought long and hard before laying out $139, but it was worth it, and would have eliminated a lot of cussing and swearing, and crawling under the layout to move stalled locos. My layout is 24 by 8, with a twice around double track mainline, and an 8 track double ended yard, and a 4 track passenger yard and terminal. So, I had a lot of track to clean. I'm a believer in the CMX track cleaning car! No way could I clean all this track with a Brite Boy.

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".