ATHEARN GENESIS HO SCALE

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
lsi3009
Railroadfan...fan

ATHEARN GENESIS HO SCALE

Unread post by lsi3009 »

has anyone on hear have any of athearn's genesis, was wondering how they run... i like my old athearns.... stuff has changed sence horizon hobbies took over athearn. ive heard serveral good and bad comments on the genesis locomotives in ho scale. ive got few kato locomotives and wow sure love those locos smooth running. let me hear what you think about the genesis loco's . im looking too purchase one soon... so ur comments would be great.. thanks Brian

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: ATHEARN GENESIS HO SCALE

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I've got an SD70M, an SD45-2, 2 FP45's, 2 SD70's, 2 GP15-1's, 2 F7's and a Big Boy all from Genesis. Excellent runners, fantastic detail. No problems here.
Last edited by SD80MAC on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Only issue I have had with newer Athearn's is the Mikado (2-8-2) is too light and not a good puller. Other than that all is well.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

lsi3009
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lsi3009 »

hey aarr, what did you do too ur 2-8-2 locomotive too solve the problem? i have a newer athearn rs-1 with the same problem.... too light and not a good puller. its runs good.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

lsi3009 wrote:hey aarr, what did you do too ur 2-8-2 locomotive too solve the problem? i have a newer athearn rs-1 with the same problem.... too light and not a good puller. its runs good.
I haven't done anything yet because there is not much room to add weight. More weight will give your RS1 more pulling power.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

I have, 2 FP45s, 1 SD75M, 1 SD70I, a Trio of GP15-1s, a 2-8-2, 2 F3s, 2 MP15ACs, and a GP7. They're all good runners. and pull fairly well except the 2-8-2, Like AARR said, its pulls itself and a caboose, thats it. Great detail, wonderful runners. Replacing headlights can be a chore, but that goes for any newer athearn with the bulbs in the housings

GTWChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWChris »

I am pleased with both my Athearn Genesis SD75I and SD70M-2. The newer Athearn Genesis models are much better than the ones made more than five years ago, I would steer clear of the older ones. I did have a problem with my SD70M-2; however, I called Athearn and they were very helpful and sent me the part I needed promptly.

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

AARR wrote:Only issue I have had with newer Athearn's is the Mikado (2-8-2) is too light and not a good puller. Other than that all is well.
The Genesis Mikado is notorious for not being a good puller. You can fix that, but it takes some work.

The main problem is that they're out of balance- most of the weight is too far to the rear. The solution I've read about is to open up the locomotive, cut off the rear-most part of the frame weight, then stuff the front of the smokebox and the cylinders with lead.

I had four of them, but decided that was more work than I wanted to do just now, so I chose to sell them off. Since then, I've been replacing them with Broadway Limited's Light Mikados when I see them cheap enough. They pull much better.

I've been happy with the Genesis F7s and F3s I've had, aside from the stock light bulbs. They tend to burn out quickly, so I replaced them with Miniatronics bulbs when I installed decoders into them. I'd use LEDs now, if I were to do it again.
-Fritz Milhaupt

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

fmilhaupt wrote:
AARR wrote:Only issue I have had with newer Athearn's is the Mikado (2-8-2) is too light and not a good puller. Other than that all is well.
The Genesis Mikado is notorious for not being a good puller. You can fix that, but it takes some work.

The main problem is that they're out of balance- most of the weight is too far to the rear. The solution I've read about is to open up the locomotive, cut off the rear-most part of the frame weight, then stuff the front of the smokebox and the cylinders with lead.
Thanks for the suggestion! I only have one so I'll take a look and decide if I am that ambitous or not.

lsi3009
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lsi3009 »

Hey all...... well i got my rs-3 locomotive issues solved!, sent it back too the hobby shop in green bay,wis where i got it from.(engine house services) and they found a crake tooth in one of the gears in the truck. plus i added some weight too it and i have no more issues with pulling know. if any of you's are in green bay,wis stop bye at engine house servies on packerland drive.... they specialize in n ,g , and ho scale and dcc . check there web site out
www. enginehouseservices.com

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Another cracked gear problem? I remember the P2K cracked gear problems of a few years ago. Aside from getting and buying Bluebox when I can, Athearn has lost me as a customer. When they released their ATSF Zebra Striped GP7's at $225 with sound and all that, I really said NO. To me, when I am making a purchase like that it'd better be brass. The detail is nice, but when you do not have a permanent railroad, it makes it extremely difficult to place on visiting railroads and not break the detailing. And, for someone who thinks the sounds they make become annoying, i'd rather spend the time and kitbash my own. Someone was mentioning the other day with the release of the new High Hood GP50's, there are enough parts suppliers that make the parts to kitbash your own, with sound at 1/2 the price!

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

TrainWatcher wrote:Another cracked gear problem? I remember the P2K cracked gear problems of a few years ago. Aside from getting and buying Bluebox when I can, Athearn has lost me as a customer. When they released their ATSF Zebra Striped GP7's at $225 with sound and all that, I really said NO. To me, when I am making a purchase like that it'd better be brass. The detail is nice, but when you do not have a permanent railroad, it makes it extremely difficult to place on visiting railroads and not break the detailing. And, for someone who thinks the sounds they make become annoying, i'd rather spend the time and kitbash my own. Someone was mentioning the other day with the release of the new High Hood GP50's, there are enough parts suppliers that make the parts to kitbash your own, with sound at 1/2 the price!
And some of us would rather just buy it and be done with it, without having to mess around kitbashing.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

TrainWatcher wrote:Another cracked gear problem? I remember the P2K cracked gear problems of a few years ago. Aside from getting and buying Bluebox when I can, Athearn has lost me as a customer. When they released their ATSF Zebra Striped GP7's at $225 with sound and all that, I really said NO. To me, when I am making a purchase like that it'd better be brass. The detail is nice, but when you do not have a permanent railroad, it makes it extremely difficult to place on visiting railroads and not break the detailing. And, for someone who thinks the sounds they make become annoying, i'd rather spend the time and kitbash my own. Someone was mentioning the other day with the release of the new High Hood GP50's, there are enough parts suppliers that make the parts to kitbash your own, with sound at 1/2 the price!
I challenge you to make a kitbashed model that looks as good, or better, than what comes out of the box from Athearn, Atlas, et al. That's detailing, paint, finish, etc. That's why I've shut down my custom painting. I can't compete, which is great for the modeller.

Also, plastic is over and above the level of brass in terms of running ability, detailing, and value. I purchased a CSX AC6000 back in 2000-2001. I ran it once. My Atlas C30-7's had the same level of detail, and would pull more than that engine. It was also a month's rent tied up in one locomotive. Plastic is by far the better value in terms of detailing and operating ability.

Practice Safe CSX

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Um where do I find brass locomotives for around $225? I've only seen cabooses go for 300 on ebay that were brass.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

TrainWatcher
The Beast

I have seen a few at select shows, (and no not at any sponsored by RMRRC) that have had certain Overland locomotives at $225 mark or in that range. To be honest, I just can't see dropping $100+ on a locomotive (and that's per locomotive as you can really never have 1...). I guess I am out of date. Having all the bells and whistles for every type of locomotive for that "real authentic feel and operation" that every model railroad company has been going for for atleast the past 5 years gets to be annoying. When you do run a railroad that has all sound equipped equipment, it starts to give people a headache.

I am on a budget so to speak, and really can't spend out my posterior on new equipment. When it comes down to a $200+ dollar GP7 or an insurance payment on a car or house, i'd pick the house or car anyday. Bluebox was the "Average Joe's" model, the affordable, reliable choice in model railroading and was for many years. All the model railroad companies look at now are profits. Instead of making models that you can add detail, and specific items to, and are in the affordable $30-45 range, what you want it's all there for you, no work besides a little airbrushing or chalk for weathering. Takes a lot of fun, and craftsman ship out of the whole hobby.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

TrainWatcher wrote:I am on a budget so to speak, and really can't spend out my posterior on new equipment.
You may want to think twice, or thrice, about G Scale then :)

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

AARR wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:I am on a budget so to speak, and really can't spend out my posterior on new equipment.
What he said :lol: and remember, ebay can be your friend ;)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

TrainWatcher wrote:I am on a budget so to speak, and really can't spend out my posterior on new equipment. When it comes down to a $200+ dollar GP7 or an insurance payment on a car or house, i'd pick the house or car anyday. Bluebox was the "Average Joe's" model, the affordable, reliable choice in model railroading and was for many years. All the model railroad companies look at now are profits. Instead of making models that you can add detail, and specific items to, and are in the affordable $30-45 range, what you want it's all there for you, no work besides a little airbrushing or chalk for weathering. Takes a lot of fun, and craftsman ship out of the whole hobby.
You're not alone here. I'm in N, but that doesn't make much difference. I can't afford $100 locos, $20 railcars, $5 sections of track. Bluebox was awesome, but of course, has been shelved.

The only real means left of being into the craftmanship when it comes to track & rolling stock is pure scratchbuilding. But that takes lots of time, and patience.

I check this site: www.therailwire.net quite often, mostly for the layout updates (HUGE layouts sometimes), but prehaps the most amazing threads are found in their scratchbuilding forum. For example: http://www.therailwire.net/forum/index. ... ic=21968.0

Again, not something I think I could ever have enough patience to do.

But ditto, too much emphasis on instant gatification. I hear the makers are squeezing the hobby stores, too.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

TrainWatcher
The Beast

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:
AARR wrote:
What he said :lol: and remember, ebay can be your friend ;)
Oh it has been my friend. Saved BIG money by buying on EBAY for G Scale, as well as working on projects for all of the rest of the equipment I have acquired in the past year. Haven't spent more than $150 for a G Scale locomotive :)

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

TrainWatcher wrote: I am on a budget so to speak, and really can't spend out my posterior on new equipment. When it comes down to a $200+ dollar GP7 or an insurance payment on a car or house, i'd pick the house or car anyday. Bluebox was the "Average Joe's" model, the affordable, reliable choice in model railroading and was for many years. All the model railroad companies look at now are profits. Instead of making models that you can add detail, and specific items to, and are in the affordable $30-45 range, what you want it's all there for you, no work besides a little airbrushing or chalk for weathering. Takes a lot of fun, and craftsman ship out of the whole hobby.
That's because there wasn't any money to be made on the $35-$40 range models anymore. Believe it or not, a business is in business to make money for its owners. Go to ANY hobby shop, and I will guarantee that the 'blue box' kits are still on the shelves, while the RTR stuff is long gone. I know my LHS has kits that have been on the shelves 10 years or better. They just don't sell anymore. Not when you can spend another $5 to $10 and get it ready to go, with Kadee style couplers, better detail, and better paint.

We're lucky we live in a time where the hobby has allowed us to get a great model, right out of the box. No filling in the pilots, no replacing handrails, great running mechanism, etc. Yes, "Blue Box" was great, but "Blue Box" also looked like crap out of the box. Again, most people cannot match what the manufactures are putting out in terms of quality and prototypical accuracy.

BTW, by the time you buy all the detail parts, paint, decals, and time invested to make that model you didn't want to buy ready to run, you're going to be over and above the retail price of what the manufacturer would charge you. Doesn't take long to eat up the difference in price when you have to buy all the detail parts to match the level of Genesis.

And, I guarantee that $225 you spent on a brass locomotive, that Athearn Genesis could out perform it. I've worked on 'older' brass, and the drive mechanisms suck, motors suck, electrical pickup sucks. You've got to spend money on those to get them up to par with plastic.

Practice Safe CSX