Non-Local Shows (if you're in Michigan, that is...)

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Non-Local Shows (if you're in Michigan, that is...)

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

So, what shows outside of Michigan have people found it worth going to?

One of my favorites, if you're up for a drive to the Cleveland area, is the MCR NMRA Div. 4 Carnival of Model Railroading in Berea. It has always been fun, and has a different selection of dealers than we usually see in Michigan. It fills four buildings at the fairgrounds with dealers and layouts.

It's a two-day show the first weekend in October at the Cuyahoga County Fairgrounds on Bagley Road. Details are at http://www.div4.org/sub_pages/carnival_page.htm

The last two years, I've made the road trip to Trainfest in Milwaukee, the second weekend in November. It's a much different experience than our local train shows, with many large manufacturers showing new product, and many smaller manufacturers selling their products. Large national dealers such as Tony's Train Exchange have a good presence as do some regional hobby shops and larger independent dealers, but not many one- or two-table setups of guys clearing out stuff (probably due to the higher table cost). Lots of interesting displays and layouts, too. It's more comparable to what the NMRA's National Train Show has been in its best years.

I usually plan extra time into the trip to stop at a couple of favorite Chicago-area hobby shops and Fry's Electronics in Downer's Grove.
-Fritz Milhaupt

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Non-Local Shows (if you're in Michigan, that is...)

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Another good show in Ohio is the NMRA MCR Div. 3 show at Hara Arena in Dayton, OH which is on Nov. 2 and 3 this year. Lots of vendors with a good variety of all scales represented and plenty of those one or two table guys who are looking to unload stuff.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

Speaking of 1-2 table guys looking to unload stuff, what do you guys recommend for a show to unload this pile?

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m58 ... 70b663.jpg

I've had mixed - actually, poor - results at Gratiot Valley, Avondale and Lapeer over the past couple of years. It can't be the pricing as I mark the stuff pretty aggressively - not wanting to keep dragging it around show to show. I'm struggling with going the eBay route due to the time involved piecemealing everything and other "evil-bay" hassles.

I do have a lot of MILW, RI, BN and other western road items - plus the usual Chessie, CR, NYC, GTW local roads. I'd just like to pick a good show and get rid of it once and for all. It's mostly NIB since leaving the hobby shop counter over the years.

I'm not leaving the hobby by any means - just downsizing to what the layout actually needs, and lose the excess that doesn't fit my UP-CNW theme.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

I know we are in Michigan but we are off the beaten path when it comes to train shows. Being a tad north on and on the Lake Michigan shore we do get over looked from the SE MI people. If you're willing to trek to Chicago or Cleveland from E MI Muskegon isn't that far out of your way..;-)

The Muskegon Railroad Historical Society's Annual Fall Model Train and Toy Show is a great place for the 1-2 table guys. We've always tried to have a more "flea market" atmosphere to our show. We do have larger dealers and do not discourage them form coming to the show but our focus has always been on the individuals such as dmitzel that are looking to unload their extra stuff. Here's a link to the show info. A PDF is available for download from the site for table reservation info.

http://mrhs-online.org/news.php?item.38.2

PS: we have new blood running the show as well as this will be the second time we will be at our new venue. More parking, easier access, food and refreshments available on site, newer 6' nylon tables and a much easier access from US-31. Come check us out!
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I used to go to the monthly show in Wheaton, Illinois, at the DuPage County fairgrounds. Since I moved back to Michigan, I haven't had a chance to go again, but the last time I went, they were up to 5 buildings of show, mostly vendors.

I've also been to the show down in Kokomo, Indiana a couple times. It's a longer trip than the semi-local shows, but they get dealers from the Indianapolis area, and I've picked up things there before that aren't as popular here, or are popular enough up this way as to command a premium price.
~ Charles W.

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

I may try the Wheaton show, considering the Midwestern roads I have on the deadline.

In the interim here's a list of what's For Sale (download PDF) for anyone that is interested - all HO scale, mostly New In Box: https://app.box.com/s/36qpcj3wh4o2qtrl2773 PM me if you're interested in anything.

Thanks for looking.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

conrailman75 wrote:Another good show in Ohio is the NMRA MCR Div. 3 show at Hara Arena in Dayton, OH which is on Nov. 2 and 3 this year. Lots of vendors with a good variety of all scales represented and plenty of those one or two table guys who are looking to unload stuff.
Was planning on attending this year, but alas 2 weeks before that I'll be in PA. :(

When I attended 2 years ago it was one of the biggest and best shows I had ever attended.