FEC 714 HO Scale - Finished!

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

FEC 714 HO Scale - Finished!

Unread post by legostudios34 »

Yes, I still model in HO scale. I've just been too busy to get much done. Anyway, here is the model of FEC 714 that I have done. I started with an Athearn Blue Box which I painted, decaled, weathered, and detailed.

Baxter Barnes. 21. Alabama.
Meow. Now you know how to speak cat. -Flickr

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: FEC 714 HO Scale - Finished!

Unread post by Ypsi »

looks real nice lego, I like the details that you included like silver tipped MU cables, cab AC unit, grab irons, anti-glare panel on the hood, and the painted hand break. The paint is really nice, is it finished with a flat coat? Is it a powered unit, I noticed it has dummy ditchlights, would be neat to see it with real ditchlights all lit up :) nice work on the finished model though! 8)

And I just also noticed it looks like you are starting your layout from scratch again? As I recall you had more track down and such previously.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:looks real nice lego, I like the details that you included like silver tipped MU cables, cab AC unit, grab irons, anti-glare panel on the hood, and the painted hand break. The paint is really nice, is it finished with a flat coat? Is it a powered unit, I noticed it has dummy ditchlights, would be neat to see it with real ditchlights all lit up :) nice work on the finished model though! 8)

And I just also noticed it looks like you are starting your layout from scratch again? As I recall you had more track down and such previously.

Thanks Ypsi. Yes, I started the layout over from scratch. I finished it with a flat coat, and it is powered, but I dont see myself putting ditch lights on it.

legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

Heres the grain elevator on the new layout.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nice work, lego. I'd be proud of that :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

legostudios34 wrote:
YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:looks real nice lego, I like the details that you included like silver tipped MU cables, cab AC unit, grab irons, anti-glare panel on the hood, and the painted hand break. The paint is really nice, is it finished with a flat coat? Is it a powered unit, I noticed it has dummy ditchlights, would be neat to see it with real ditchlights all lit up :) nice work on the finished model though! 8)

Thanks Ypsi. Yes, I started the layout over from scratch. I finished it with a flat coat, and it is powered, but I dont see myself putting ditch lights on it.
Nice work! Ditch lights aren't too terribly difficult. I've done both porch and pilot mounted ditch lights in the past. I may not the best modeler in the world, but I've had pretty good sucess with them. athearn units are fairly easy to add ditch lights to. They provide ample space behind the shell and frame to hide all the requisite wires and lights. The Kato SD40 I did was a bear. I had to file away a good portion of the front frame, and because I'm so cheap I used some bulky Chinese LEDs. Struggled to hide those sbd the wiring. Anyhow, my point is with the right detail kit and bulbs you can do it with minimal surgery and effort. The other units I've done include atlas and Bachman dash 8's. simple job, just drill holes and fit the proper details west ditch light kit. Wire it to the chip and you're golden.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Good job on the 714, Looks pretty good. I have seen it a few times this week and was third out on train 101 this afternoon. It sure is a sharp scheme!

brickbuilder711
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brickbuilder711 »

Looks awesome!!

j_c1987
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j_c1987 »

That is awesome! Nice job!