Norfolk Southern midwest layout

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
Matt Short Line H
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Norfolk Southern midwest layout

Unread post by Matt Short Line H »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:Photos it was, and here is the progress:

First up, shortened our large engine shelf so we could run track on top of it rather then through it, you can see the lift bridge on the right that is also built into the shelf.

Across the bridge, a new "island" support was constructed and a new fixed bridge has also been constructed.

New corners were constructed along with a new back shelf which is a 2x6 cut to 93 inches to fit the back wall, both corners are constructed like this

Back shelf that is the 2x6, also installed a hand throw switch to try out. widened the radius of all turns on the shelf for better running.

Adjusted the alignment of the main line leading into the shelf section so the radius could be increased and an "S" type curve could be avoided (you can see old alignment in the black marker)

Lastly finally got the engine/ caboose type tracks on the end of the yard

Lots of progress just this week! All of that happened from Monday to now, wanted to be able to run trains for a family Christmas party this weekend and made it.
For a Santa Fe and Conrail laout i would pick Litchfield, Illinois. BNSF and NS run through here along with Respondek Rail.
"You want to be original, you want to be yourself, and whether that's accepted or not accepted, that's not as important as being you" - Tyler Hubbard, Half of Duo Florida Georgia Line

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

and update time. All track done, and minor improvements made
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Put up track lighting, did some DCC work, started some coupler replacements, and did some more track improvements. This work is a result of the rainy crappy days we have had up here this week. Probably get a little more done tonight since it is once again not looking too great to be outside this evening. Finishing of our Ann Arbor Railroad fleet with DCC, 52, 52A, and 21 are all shown in this video.

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

What radius did you use for your curves? I noticed you're running high cubes and autoracks, so it must be fairly large to allow proper look and operation

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

First update for the summer I believe

Here is a video of a "SW Chief" I modeled with my new superliner cars

j_c1987
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j_c1987 »

Neat layout! I am currently working on a continuous 4x8 layout. I have been brain dead on what to do. Your yard layout kinda got the gears in my little noggin going again. Nice to have a little space reserved for your layout. Someday when the kids leave the house I'll be able to take over one of their rooms. :D Awesome
collection too! Lots of Conrail Blue!

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Thanks, having a train room is great, just had to work for it a bit (was just storage/ catch all for a while). Oddly enough this whole process was started on a 4x8, and has grown into this over the last couple years.

Have done a couple things this summer, of note I just realigned the passing siding to make more sense. I flipped the switches so the main is now the rear track, and the siding is the near track. It also gives us some extra space to switch the yard.

Not only does that make more sence, it allows the tracks to be a little further way from the wall and a wider radius on the main.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

For those wondering, we haven't done much in the last couple months, but have acquired a few nice pieces to add to the collection.

CRman5 is getting pretty good at these custom units

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Because I don't feel that Ryan's video did my work justice, Here is some more information.
C40-9
It is a Kato Dash 9 base unit that started out as CSX Unit. I cut the cab from the long hood, filled the gaps, then painted and decaled it. the cab is a former UP Spectrum Dash 8. I choose it because it was cheap and provided sufficient detail. I had to cut from the top of the shell all the way through as the cab does not detach. Took about 10 minutes of patience but It did come off cleanly, requiring only a minor amount of filling. After the priming and decaling was done. I added MU hoses, NS appropriate Plow, Prime type AC unit, and firecracker antenna. I also added ditch lights using a details west kit, which I had problems with. The bulbs are very frail, and wires kept detaching from the bulb. I am going to replace them with genesis SD70 type ditch lights.
C40-8W
The c40-8 W is a kato cab on spectrum shell and chassis. I was inspired by a youtube video by NSmodeler24. Rather than waste the donor units, I grafted them together. Haven't finished that one yet, So we will see how that goes.
SD40-2
This is a Kato NS sd40-2. I applied a Cannon and Co high hood kit. All I had to do was decal the nose and change the number, very straight forward. used old Herald King decals. Had some silvering issues that I corrected. In order to maintain structural integrity, I had to glue all the shell pieces into one and remove the frame clips. Essentially all that is holding it on now is the couple boxes. still need to add a main headlight, as well as more genesis ditch lights.

Cannon an Co high hood kits are very east to use for those looking to do a similar project. The Shell Scale decals are top notch, they include many details you don't get with micro scale. The dash 9 and dash 8 were a little more tricky with the sawing and filling required. They aren't perfect, but for a first try I am satisfied.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

ConrailMan5 wrote:did my work justice
Right you can do all that but you can't mask windows :evil: :roll: :lol:

Ypsi