My layout - design and pictures

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
MDH
rp.net addict

My layout - design and pictures

Unread post by MDH »

Hi everyone. I'm relatively new here and finally got around to updating my web site with information on my current train layout including text description, design plan image and various photos. Here's a direct link to it:

http://www.geocities.com/mdharding.geo/wm.htm

I model the Western Maryland in the early '60's and have pretty much always 'liked trains' although my focus has shifted over the years between model railroading, railfanning, etc. Anyway, constructive feedback is always welcome (on the web site, layout, etc.)

Regards,
Michael

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I like it Michael :!: Nicely done :!: I especially like how you modeled the cement and coal industries next to each other. Any thoughts about weathering in the future :?:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Don Simon wrote:Any thoughts about weathering in the future :?:
Yeah - the thoughts are "I really need to!" I did a little here and there, but overall everything's waaayyy too clean. Especially the rolling stock, although WM kept their engines pretty clean. Fortunately for the era I model I mostly just need to add 'road grime' and not graffitti, etc. I've been spending more 'hobby' time railfanning and operating on other peoples layouts than modeling lately, but perhaps this winter I'll get back to it more.

Thanks,
Michael

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

That looks nice! Did you make all of the trees yourself? And a nice way to build in the staging tracks.

Garry K

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Garry K wrote:That looks nice! Did you make all of the trees yourself? Garry K
The larger trees are all Woodland Scenics tree kits I built (can't even remember what it's like to have that kind of free time & disposable income any more now that I've got a little one!) and the smaller brush & small trees are WS fine foliage. I used to have a folding card table that I'd set up and work on trees in the evening while watching TV. Amazing what a few a night over a long time can accomplish!

Thanks,
Michael

RobbyP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RobbyP »

Looks real good. You have alot going on.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Hey Michael, that layout looks great! Has alot of action. Hope to see ya around Vickers Junction with Jon again soon! :D
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

Wow - looks really nice!

I have some questions - what is the vertical clearance between your staging tracks and the yard above? What's it like to work on the staging tracks and deal with any problems there? What's your max grade?

The layout I'm going to start building Real Soon Now will have staging underneath as well, but I think my clearances will be tighter than yours. Nice to see this arrangement in action - thanks for sharing!

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

odave wrote:Wow - looks really nice!
I have some questions - what is the vertical clearance between your staging tracks and the yard above? What's it like to work on the staging tracks and deal with any problems there? What's your max grade?
I'll have to check the exact measurements tonight at home and post later, but the yard on the side is about 18" wide (the 'plan' image is on a 1' grid so you can get a sense of dimensions). The highth above the staging track is about 12" give or take a little. What made a big difference is that rather than sqeezing in as many staging tracks as I could (i.e. 5 or 6) I only put in 4 tracks with "finger space" in between each. I can reach in and swap cars, re-rail, etc. on any of the 4 tracks without knocking equipment on the other tracks (obviously the front ones are easier though). Also, the four existing tracks on a compound switch ladder are a little longer than had I used a simple ladder and more tracks.

I was trying to keep the max grade around 2% or so, but on the curve up from the coal loader & cement silo over the curved bridge to where it ties in by the station the grade 'crept up' to about 3% during actual construction. Even a decent size local needs 2 engines to make it up there. I would highly recommend keeping grades at 2% or less if possible. This was my first layout with real grades. From the lower staging it's pretty much a continuous grade up, out of the tunnel, around the big curve and peaks at the bridge. Going to the yard it 'dips' a little going through the tunnel by the station and then back up to the upper level yard. The one part of the trackwork I had to re-work the most to get it running smoothly was the vertical transitions in the grades.

Regards,
Michael