How cheap can I go DCC on my older HO engines???

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

How cheap can I go DCC on my older HO engines???

Unread post by Todd Cline »

I'm building a new layout after about 25 years out of the hobby, but I still have all my old Athearn engines that I have custom painted/detailed, and I'd like to keep them. How difficult and/or expensive would it be to convert them to DCC? I have at least a dozen of them to do. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Todd

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

Do you have your DDC system yet? Digitrax has a good decoder for Athearn Part # DH123AT. They are a non solder drop in kind, I put one in and it took 10 mins. I think when I did mine 2 years ago it was like 25-30 bucks, but I think they have droped in price to about 20

Digitrax Website

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

Despite Loy's Toys having closed due to his retiring, there is a good description of the process he used on a "blue-box" (non-Genesis) Athearn F7 on his web site at
http://loystoys.com/install/install-athearn-f7.html. The Digitrax DH123AT conversion is a little easier, but more expensive.

Currently, the least expensive quality decoder for this project is the NCE D13SR. It lists for $19.95, but is under $16 from Litchfield Station or Tony's Train Exchange, and even cheaper if you buy them in four- or ten-packs. It offers more features for your money than the Digitrax DH123AT. It is a little more work to install, though, since it doesn't come with an Athearn-specific wiring harness arrangement.

Really old Athearn units, with Hi-F (rubber band) drives or the old 1950s/1960s "block of metal" motor without flywheels are usually not worth installing decoders into unless you re-motor them first. The squarish "block of metal" motors are notorious for requiring very high current (also read as "expensive") decoders. In those cases, it's usually easier to move the shells to a newer chassis.
-Fritz Milhaupt

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

I use and like the NCE D13SRJ. Those decoders have a 9-pin plug, so once you install the included wiring harness you can easily swap out another decoder in case of mishap without having to resolder anything. They also come in 4-packs.

Garry K

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

I just saw that Digitrax sells their Athearn wiring harness separately as the DHAT. If you were to combine that with the D13SRJ Garry mentioned, you could get a lower-work solution that's less expensive than the DH123AT, with a better decoder.

Whether it's worth the $8.95 list/$7.95 street price for the harness to avoid buying a couple of clip connectors and making four solder joints is a decision only you can make, balancing cost vs. convenience.
-Fritz Milhaupt

MUTLINERR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MUTLINERR »

Welcome to DCC Tod! The Athearn locos are a great conversion. I too have many older custom units and most will be DCCed. Right now I have 15-20 done. I advise hardwiring the decoders. I have found that the Digitrax Athearn kit good for first time install, but it leaves a lot to be desired, mainly the lack of soldered connections.
As far as decoders go, there are a lot of options out there so decide what you want your engines to do first. Main thoughts to consider would be MUing of units, lighting, motor control and other functions you may want to use. I would consider using one type/brand decoder so all your programing opperating results are the same for all units. Most decoders can be bought in multi unit packs at pretty good savings I highly recomend: www.sbmrailroadsupplies.com Mike is great with fantastic pricing and service. If he doesn't have listed what you are looking for, ASK HIM! He is constantly adding new items to his site and he can get you darn near anything you want for model railroading.
If you are in the Detriot area and would like to get together I would gladly spend some time with you to get you started. I use Digitrax with decoders from almost everyone. Also, I do decoder installs, but I am just getting into sound decoders so I cannot offer much help with them yet. Check out our web site [a work in progress]. www.RUSTYSPIKES.com You can contact me through the site as well.
Bill[/url]

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

When you buy an NCE D13SRJ, they come with a 9-pin wiring harness, so you don't need to buy the harness separately.

Garry K