custom painting showcase

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: custom painting showcase

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

OaklandCountyCustoms wrote:Chris, I took my "layout" to the GVRR show last weekend. Those from this board that went will be able to tell you, what you see is what you get. All i have completed is a little backdrop and track for display/photos. Its 3 feet long and 9 inches wide. I was experimenting with scenic details. thanks for the compliment though. Once i finally build an ACTUAL layout i will post pictures... i've been in the planning phase for 3 years now and haven't nailed a peice of wood yet! I'm determined to have boxes of trains in storage and never run them! haha. I have changed directions on my layout, i was going to do GTW/CN in the Pontiac area with a huge yard and do yard to staging trips, but then i started thinking about a switching layout...then i started the shortline project and thought why not make a shortline switching/through-route? So i think that is what i am going to do. I have had alot of help on this board researching the LSRC and the businesses they serve so i think i will be doing a freelanced "Saginaw Bay" area which will allow for Jct's with the GTW/CN, MMRR, CM/HESR, and TSBY...so i'll be able to fullfill alot of desires on one layout. The mainline will be just over 1 scale mile. plans include hidden staging yard, 10-15 tracks (9 feet long). Yard with engine shops...look for "For the Gipper" C-420 after being on fire in the deadline area. Industries along the main will include scrap yard, grain co-ops, plastic factories, cement factory, DTE coal powerplant, fertilizer/chemical company. Since i planned an automotive GTW layout i have a slew of autoracks so it may not be prototypical, but my LSRC will be doing some through freight with autoracks to interchange back to GTW. Thats about it with the planning for now. 1 old city "downtown" feel, farms, woods and other rural accents. As far as painting yours CSX locos go, i would ask rdenman62@comcast.net, the creator of this thread. I've seen his N scale work and its top notch and reasonably priced. can't go wrong there.

Chris, if you're looking for a reason to use those autoracks on a shortline, you could run a repair shop. Even though it's not exactly prototypical for Michigan (anymore), on the TP&W's east end in Logansport, Indiana, there's an independent rail rebuilder company. I believe it might be served by NS although both companies' tracks run in the vicinity of the lead to the industry. On various trips to the Logansport vicinity, I've noticed a lot of autoracks in their facility. It probably helps that they have a paint booth on site too... You wouldn't have to model the facility though, as long as you could plausibly show that the cars destined for this shop were coming and going from the shop. In addition to the autoracks, this particular prototype services just about every other type of car as well, giving the modeler an excuse to run just about any conceivable car on the layout...
~ Charles W.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Chris, if you're looking for a reason to use those autoracks on a shortline, you could run a repair shop. Even though it's not exactly prototypical for Michigan (anymore),
TSBY served a rail car rebuild plant in Ashley that received many auto racks. I think they closed in the early 1990's.

Moore Iron Works in Owosso built racks for flat cars and box cars and was switched by CMGN until it closed recently.

One of my paper railroads, a modern PO&N, had a rail car rebuild plant in Gagetown or Owendale. In real life it built rail cars or parts until 1950's or 60's. I figured it would be a good way to keep the line connected to CN in Imlay City if they repaired their rail cars.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OaklandCountyCustoms »

i just finished working on some projects for a customer... this is freelanced so do not fret... this is LSRC the mythical GP60 as road number 7711.

Chris

Paul W
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paul W »

Looks great Chris! How did you tape off them stripes so evenly?? Haveing a bit of trouble with 371 any pointers for a novice airbusher?

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Paul W wrote:Looks great Chris! How did you tape off them stripes so evenly?? Haveing a bit of trouble with 371 any pointers for a novice airbusher?
I think the stripes came from a set of CN Decals

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OaklandCountyCustoms »

The stripes are painted, just takes alot of time and patience...and sometimes more than on attempt. as far as painting the stripes goes, it depends on the quality of the model you use... if an older athearn gp35 taping over all the bulky details is a tough job. here is what i do...trade secret alert... buy a set of CN zebra stripes from microscale, go to kinkos, copy one set as dark as you can, laminate it, cut out 1 stripe so you have a firm strip. lay making tape over it, use a sharp x-acto to cut the tape in the shape of the stripe, peel off the laminate and stick on the loco, this way you have the same size stripe every time. if paint bleeds and your stripes aren't perfect, the second step is to do the exact opposite, tape off the borders of the existing stripes and mask all the blue carefully and respray white at the end. stripes are tricky...but that seems to work for me... or...just use microscale decals (since you bought them anyway to try my way)...

microscale decals are awEsome, big microscale decals can be great...or a nightmare which is why alot of people choose to paint them. the stripes are 1 decal...it takes up the entire side of the loco...if you're inexperienced in setting a decal that size its easy to rip, deform, catch air bubbles under...just plain difficult. The Loco i have on ebay right now i used microscale decals and using the decal takes just as long or longer than just painting it. its all personal preference. Good luck guys.

Chris

Paul W
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paul W »

Wow thanks, I didn't know microscale had this decal... This may be the route I end up with for this model but I will most certainly experiment with your way too Chris. Just not on a model yet! Thanks again.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

This is my first engine I have painted, and decaled myself. I know the numbers aren't on straight I do plan on fixing the 7 that is really bad. but I had to piece the number together becuase 1337 wasn't all next to each other.

DTI973
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DTI973 »

Hey All,

Some nice work here guys.

I've just joined and thought I'd add my latest project. It's all scratchbuilt from plans I drew up from measuring the real caboose.

It's 1/29 scale (one of the many 'G' scales).

The only thing I still need to do is replace the trucks with caboose trucks.

Enjoy,
Brian B.
DT&I 1980ish

Brian Briggs
DT&I 1980ish

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Awesome workmanship, Brian! Anything else you've made you'd like to show?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DTI973
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DTI973 »

Thanks Don,

I'll try to follow the spirit of the thread this time. How about my custom painted DT&I #973 GP7 (also in 1/29 scale). The model is by USA Trains. I added the 3 chime horn, firecracker antenna, and spark arrestors up top. Had to rework the pilots quite a bit to close off the gaping hole for the G scale hook'n'loop couplers and replaced those with Kadee's.

The real work on this engine was inside, I pulled out the stock electronics and put in CVP Airwire900 Radio Controlled DCC with onboard battery power, Soundtraxx sound decoder, and I replaced the lights with LEDs. I can switch to receiving battery power from a battery car by plugging into the MU sockets I installed in the pilots.

Here's a picture of it on my basement layout.

Brian Briggs
DT&I 1980ish

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nice work, Brian. When you have an opportunity please post pictures of your layout.

rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rdenman62 »

Its been awhile since I was last here..been busy but did manage to get one project done almost...here are a few pictures of a CSX Slug unit I've been working on...In the pictures the cab is not all the way snapped down....I was hurrying to get these pictures and left it loose..otherwise I think it turned out ok...
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-53293
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-53292
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-53291
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-53290

rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan

Here is my latest custom painted N scale SD40.....hope you like it........
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-53508
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-53507

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

What paint did you use to paint the hand rails?
Semi-retired railroader

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I like it, rdenman62. Put a few of those together and you'll have a sweet power lash up.

rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan

Hey Tyler,,,,I used polly scale reefer white and steampower black for the rails with 3-4 coats of flat finish...however, if you're gonna be handling the locomotive alot i'd recommend you use pactra paint. It is used for r/c car bodys and it will absorb a little more flexing without chipping off.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

rdenman62 wrote:Hey Tyler,,,,I used polly scale reefer white and steampower black for the rails with 3-4 coats of flat finish...however, if you're gonna be handling the locomotive alot i'd recommend you use pactra paint. It is used for r/c car bodys and it will absorb a little more flexing without chipping off.
I use the Pactra paint for the handrails on my CMGN engines, the black, Sprint White, and the yellow are all right for modeling. however matching the paint will be a bit harder if its another color.

rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan

New project ongoing for my upper peninsula layout. Almost completed custom decals and custom paint Escanaba & Lake Superior GP38 #400.....Its not quite finished yet as number boards need to be done and and final touch up and last btu not least a coat or two of flat clear finish.....I think it turned out a-ok....not fantastic but it will serve its purpose..check out the pics and let me know what you think.....
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-53590
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-53589
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-53588
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-53587

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nice looking unit, rdenman62. E&LS is one railroad I'd consider modeling.