Anyone do their own decals?

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Anyone do their own decals?

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

I was curious if anyone on here can make their own decals. I would like some done for a HLCX unit I bought that Im planning on sprucing up. Well when looking up the locomtive, I found the Athearn model isnt painted/decaled right. The painting is an easy fix, as well as the details to make it resemble its real life counterpart. However, HLCX #6000 has some lettering that the model doesnt. The real #6000 has "HELM LOCOMOTIVE LEASING" on the rear of the hood, as well as a "WOODWARD CLC EQUIPED" logo. If someone here can make their own decals, I would be interested in paying to get those two decals done for my locomotive. :)
Nick

rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Anyone do their own decals?

Unread post by rdenman62 »

I used to,,,still do some,,, but not white,,,finding someone who'll do a small number of them for a reasonable cost is difficult. If you knew someone who still has an ALPS printer that can print white you may have some luck. Otherwise you may be able to find what you need in Microscale Decal line of letter decals and make your own. Even dry transfers letters may have what you need....I know there was a guy on this forum who may be able to help....Oakland County Customs......send him an email.....

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

rdenman62 wrote:I know there was a guy on this forum who may be able to help....Oakland County Customs......send him an email.....
I believe he is having someone else do them for him, hence the 'minimum runs' he talks about.

ALPS printers and ink are still available in Germany and Japan. I'm going to be looking into seeing just how available through some German's my dad works with.

Push comes to shove, Microscale has plenty of options for lettering, just match the font and size, and do it letter by letter if you have to.

Practice Safe CSX

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

I may just ruffle through some Microscales to find the decals I need. Im pretty sure I can find something that will work for the HELM lettering on the hood, but the Woodward CLC logo will be a trick.

On another note, has anyone seen this before?

http://www.supercaldecals.com/supercal1.html

I was thinking of trying this product. It says that its made specifically for inkjet printers, and you spray some clearcoat over it, and voilla, you have your own decals. I was thinking though, since I need white lettering, wouldnt a very light gray show up? Id be weathering the unit anyway, so gray's not gonna be that big of a problem, way I figure anyway.

Thanks for the feedback guys. :)
Nick

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Walthers, Microscale, etc make decal paper, so getting decal paper isn't the issue.

Printing white ink is the issue.

Practice Safe CSX

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OaklandCountyCustoms »

Yes, i do get them done through a 3rd party. Doing a sheet for just one locomotive would not be cost effective.

Chris