detailing track with airbrush

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
lsi3009
Railroadfan...fan

detailing track with airbrush

Unread post by lsi3009 »

hi everyone!

well my new layout is going well, started building the benchwork on jan-1-2009 and been working on it very hard
sence then. well i need some help. im in the process of laying track, new shiny black track. allmost done, just few more yards and sidings and its ready for the next step.( air brushing the track!)
well im looking too air brush all the track too get rid of that shiny look, i want that detailed look. can anyone give me some ideas on what color i should try using. im modeling a iron ore theme. any of your tips and ideas would be great. thank you, Brian

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Re: detailing track with airbrush

Unread post by conrailmike »

You might try Floquil acrylic colors like, Rust, Railroad Tie Brown, Grimy Black, Mud, and Dirt. Mix some of these together and you will have a good representation.

There's also Floquil Enamels (you have to thin it before you put in your airbrush) The colors above are available and there's one called Rail Brown.

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Re: detailing track with airbrush

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

There is an article in the FEB/MAR issue of O-Guage Railroading that discusses techniques for making Lionel's FasTrack look more realistic. The author applies his paint with a brush but he uses Brown Oxide for the rails. It is hard to tell in the picture but it looks like it is from Apple Barrel Colors. The product # is 20511. I think it looks pretty good. Good luck.