custom painting showcase

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan

custom painting showcase

Unread post by rdenman62 »

Thought I would start this subject so everyone who custom paints their locomotives can post here...There is some fine workmanship I 've seen on this forum and I think it deserves its very own showcase instead of a bunch of different posts...Just when you post your photos state whether they are HO or N scale or O. I'll start with a few I've done over the last few years. All of these locomotives are N scale.......Any comments are welcome.....

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-52882
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-52881
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-52883

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: custom painting showcase

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Very nice N scale engines, especially the D&M C425.

I haven't tackled any painting jobs myself yet, but in the meantime I can show off some work on the behalf of member CSX_CO.

Mid Michigan RR GP38 #3836

Grand Rapids Eastern GP38 #3839

Soon I hope to be attempting a model of Marquette's GMTX #2648.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

A few of mine.... Dave C
Image This one is still waiting to be finished...

Image Early MichRail paint

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

How was painting the Kato SD40? I want to do a couple of those but was looking for some tips on doing one.
Semi-retired railroader

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

heres a couple of mine
Last edited by astrovanman1989 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan

Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Unread post by Railzfan »

Evening all,

Here are a few pix of my most recent custom painted units.

C&NW GP7 #4162 modeled after a Rock Island rebuild. Unit is painted in the TYb scheme. Note the correct "squared" fuel tank and cut-away side sill, etc. etc.

This unit is not a complete custom painted unit, but I did enough updating it to make up for it!
SSW GP60 9663 equipped with operating strobe, ditch lights, etc. Units is modeled and weathered as it appeared in 1994.

DRGW GP60 3155 (renumbered from a P2K unit). Equipped with operating ditch lights, etc. Modeled as it appeared after a wreck in 1993...the unit underwent some major work at the shop, losing it's strobe and gaining ditch lights along with other replaced parts. Quite a bit of repainting was also done. This is how it looked in 1994.

Thanks for looking and there will be more to come soon!
~Andrew Kersting

Website - Rocky Mountain Custom Models

Long Live the Denver & Rio Grande Western!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Great workmanship guys!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OaklandCountyCustoms »

Here is a smattering of some of my previous work. enjoy.

This is a GP35 Kato painted in GTW blue with DT&I herald.

This is an Atlas Classic DW&P RS-11

This is my kitbashed version of a GP9r

Kato SD40 in GTW "School Bus" scheme. I can remember seeing these as a kid.

Former D&TSL GP7 Atlas Classic

CN/GTW remote control unit.

Another GP9r

CN.CA GP38-2

One of my fav GT locomotives

DT&I boxcar on a "downtown deco" siding

MKT autorack weathered with REAL rust.

A pair of ex-P&LE loco's. notice the logo fading on the front loco. i need to make one for myself i think.

Atlas SOU GP38 high hood running long hood forward...ofcourse.

Another look at the SOU GP38 with MV Lens classs lights.

NS GP40X. The new athearn models are getting closer and closer to Atlas in design...getting better anyway.

Another view

Here is a SEMTA prototype that i made prior to my microscale line coming out. If anyone needs/wants SEMTA decals i still have some available. Decals are from Microscale and only available through me. Includes loco and passenger car decals.

One of my other fav paint schemes.

Ex-DM loco's, now LSRC

Speaking of...

My other other fav paint scheme, this one from 1977 and "not allowed" by CN. A makeshift GT logo was painted on most of the leased CN units until CN forced them to repaint the CN logo. CN has no sense of humor.

Thanks for looking everyone. I'm always willing to take on new projects, inquire for pricing.

Chris

Paul W
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paul W »

If this works??? You will see my latest LSRC 1164 decals from Oaklandcountycustoms. Thanks Chris unit turned out OK decals were GREAT!!!
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-52933

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

thanks for the kind words! awesome job! what color blue did you go with?

Chris

Paul W
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paul W »

Hi Chris, Thanks I went with Plasticcoat #GM 7222 available at most automotive shops. It's just spray paint I haven't ventured into airbrushing just yet but plan to soon. Btw got them other decals.. 371/8903 and they look awesome too thanks again.

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Anytime! it'll be a month or so before the next batch is ready, but they will be good i think...we'll have you airbrushing in no time!

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Very nice work everyone! I'm very impressed as for I would never be able to paint locos/ rollingstock like that. I have 2 N Scale Bachman GP40-2s that I wish someone could paint in a simple CSX YN3 scheme (Doesn't need to be detailed). What would be the average pricing to do that? Plus, Chris your layout you take your photos on looks nice, do you have any photos of other parts of the layout?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Chris, I took my "layout" to the GVRR show last weekend. Those from this board that went will be able to tell you, what you see is what you get. All i have completed is a little backdrop and track for display/photos. Its 3 feet long and 9 inches wide. I was experimenting with scenic details. thanks for the compliment though. Once i finally build an ACTUAL layout i will post pictures... i've been in the planning phase for 3 years now and haven't nailed a peice of wood yet! I'm determined to have boxes of trains in storage and never run them! haha. I have changed directions on my layout, i was going to do GTW/CN in the Pontiac area with a huge yard and do yard to staging trips, but then i started thinking about a switching layout...then i started the shortline project and thought why not make a shortline switching/through-route? So i think that is what i am going to do. I have had alot of help on this board researching the LSRC and the businesses they serve so i think i will be doing a freelanced "Saginaw Bay" area which will allow for Jct's with the GTW/CN, MMRR, CM/HESR, and TSBY...so i'll be able to fullfill alot of desires on one layout. The mainline will be just over 1 scale mile. plans include hidden staging yard, 10-15 tracks (9 feet long). Yard with engine shops...look for "For the Gipper" C-420 after being on fire in the deadline area. Industries along the main will include scrap yard, grain co-ops, plastic factories, cement factory, DTE coal powerplant, fertilizer/chemical company. Since i planned an automotive GTW layout i have a slew of autoracks so it may not be prototypical, but my LSRC will be doing some through freight with autoracks to interchange back to GTW. Thats about it with the planning for now. 1 old city "downtown" feel, farms, woods and other rural accents. As far as painting yours CSX locos go, i would ask rdenman62@comcast.net, the creator of this thread. I've seen his N scale work and its top notch and reasonably priced. can't go wrong there.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Your dream lay out sounds interesting, OCC. Any layout with those MI sort lines can't go wrong :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rdenman62 »

chris,
You want 2 N scale loco's painted up? I usually charge around 45.00-50.00 per locomotive..I would be happy to do this for you, however right now I do not have nor have I been able to obtain the necessary CSX decals for that scheme. Microscale is sold out and other suppliers are sold out also. If you have the decals, I'll knock off 5.00 per unit for painting...if interested contact me off board...........

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

PAUL W,
I'm totally impressed with your spray paint jobs. I've been into N-Scale since 1974, and that's the inspiration I needed, to give "spray painting" a shot! Any tips for an "old N-scale fart"?
Fred

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

rdenman62 wrote:chris,
You want 2 N scale loco's painted up? I usually charge around 45.00-50.00 per locomotive..I would be happy to do this for you, however right now I do not have nor have I been able to obtain the necessary CSX decals for that scheme. Microscale is sold out and other suppliers are sold out also. If you have the decals, I'll knock off 5.00 per unit for painting...if interested contact me off board...........
Thanks :). If I wanted them painted, it won't be until later this summer.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Paul W
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paul W »

Hi GTWFred, Thanks! I never painted N scale. But done alot of models and HO trains with spray paint. First thing I do is remove frame and anything that you don't want painted like windows and such. Then primer the unit by useing light primer for light paint and dark primer for darker paint. Then shake paint can well and hold about 6" from surface to be painted and spray. I hold the model with a piece of wood sized to fit tightly inside the frame of the model and wear rubber gloves for over spray. Also after your done painting hold the can upside down to clean the nozzle of the can. Thats all I can think of for now hope it helps you a bit good luck.

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

Thanks Paul W, I'm gonna give a try in N!
Fred