E&LS Reserve Mining SD9

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan

E&LS Reserve Mining SD9

Unread post by rdenman62 »

Question...what is a good color match for E&LS ex-reserve mining SD9? I've tried various colors but none look right...any suggestions? I prefer Polly Scale or any other water based paint...Thanks

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Re: E&LS Reserve Mining SD9

Unread post by CERY »

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1255205

Theres a good photo and there are many more of all of the units on the site.
Semi-retired railroader

rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the link to the pictures but what I really need is a color...i.e. rust? brown? red?...everytime i mix up a color it looks nothing like what I've been seeing........just having problems even coming close to this one

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

HMMM....Well at least you are trying. Maybe it would be easier to start with a Maroon bast color and then weather it down to match the photos. I think you need to match the unit when it had new paint and not after many years of hard labor.
Semi-retired railroader

rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan

yeah you're right....I guess I was trying to find a picture of the SD9's when they were new.......I did think about trying what you suggested base coat maroon and then heavy weathering....now I will give that a try,,,if I mess up? oh well back in the stripping tank it goes....Thanks

rboxfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rboxfan »

Dear Rdenman62,

I used Floquil Rock Island Maroon that was left over from painting the domes on my MILW 4-6-2. It came out even closer than I had hoped for when I modeled the E&LS 1201. I brought the model to the TitleTown Train Show in Green Bay, WI on April 25th, and I got a great complement from Roger Wurtzel, back issues manager for the Soo Line Historical & Technical Society. He said, "that is the same putrid brown as the SD's when they used to come into the cheese factory in Green Bay". I deem it to be a success.

Matthew J. Moellendorf
Sturgeon Bay, WI

PS Rdenman62--I found your youtube video of your 400. Can we please discuss this off list, as I would like to model the 400 too. My email is rboxfan@yahoo.com

rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan

Hey Matt, Thanks for the color "match" on those SD9......I've been waiting and looking and searching. Now I can finally finish those 4 ELS SD9's I've been putting off....If that guy said that color was good and you like it then its a go for me. Thanks