Atlas GP39-2

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Atlas GP39-2

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

http://www.atlastrainman.com/HOLoco/tmhogp39-2.htm

I looked at them but it is not right :? because they should be an angled blower and handrail http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/191-1601. Annie is an angled blower. http://www.trainweb.org/annarbor/Roster ... GP39_1.gif
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Re: Atlas GP39-2

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

The Annie GP39-2s are Phase III 39-2s, these models are Phase I. The difference between these models and the Annie (ex-MKT) 39-2s besides the blower duct; the Annie 39-2s have an anti-climber, exhaust silencer, larger coolant fans and a larger, louver-style grille as well, ala 50-series style.

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Mr. Tops wrote:The Annie GP39-2s are Phase III 39-2s, these models are Phase I. The difference between these models and the Annie (ex-MKT) 39-2s besides the blower duct; the Annie 39-2s have an anti-climber, exhaust silencer, larger coolant fans and a larger, louver-style grille as well, ala 50-series style.
Thank you
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Mr. Tops wrote:The Annie GP39-2s are Phase III 39-2s, these models are Phase I. The difference between these models and the Annie (ex-MKT) 39-2s besides the blower duct; the Annie 39-2s have an anti-climber, exhaust silencer, larger coolant fans and a larger, louver-style grille as well, ala 50-series style.
Tops - I love your eye for detail!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Is it possible to modify one to a C&O GP-39?

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

It should be as the only external spotting diffrence between 99% of the GP/SD ?? and GP/SD ?? -2 is the sight glass on the long hood engineers side and the overhang on the rear of the cab roof. Remove and fill in those two on almost any -2 and you are pretty much there. Only major exception being SD40-2 and the long front and rear porches.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
AARR - Your finger push poke, poke and poke to Top's eye in monitor, hope not become his black eye.
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

The dynamic brake blister is also different on the GP39/GP39-2 Phase I. The dynamic brake blister on the GP39 tapers off and the bell is between the blower vent and dynamic brake blister on the fireman's side. You can see on the GP39-2 that the dynamic brake blister comes all the way up to the blower vent and is chopped off at the vent.

Here's a GP39 for comparison-

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

OwlCaboose2853 wrote:
AARR wrote:
AARR - Your finger push poke, poke and poke to Top's eye in monitor, hope not become his black eye.
Tops is one of the very few people I know who noticed that the air blower duct is set back about 6" on -2 series (pre free flow design). Everyone else, even modeling companies, often overlook this fact.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...