N Scale Milwaukee Road Branch

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

N Scale Milwaukee Road Branch

Unread post by railohio »

I've been working on an N scale layout featuring a Milwaukee Road branch for a few years now. The branch is loosely based on real grain lines the Milwaukee operated in eastern Washington State. I wanted to buck the trends of model railroad design with this layout. First, it's small, roughly 18x34 inches. It also realistically doesn't need a run-around track or a yard. Finally, although I added a complete circuit in the oval for exhibition running what appears to be the mainline is actually another industry, a stone quarry loadout, to add more operation to a compact layout.

From the schematic at the bottom one can see that it's actually two branches that, in real life, would form a Y-shape. One local serves both sides of the branch. The trains on stage from a dropleaf staging track and works each of the two towns before shoving it's train, complete with caboose, back into staging. To operate the layout I have a fleet of Atlas Trainman 40' boxcars for grain service and some Atlas 70-ton open hoppers for stone service. I need to find appropriate motive power, either a Life-Like SW1200 or Kato NW2, and some 40' interchange cars for inbound loads.

So far the track (Atlas code 80) is laid on cork on a 2" foam base. The wiring is complete and tested. Scenery is all that remains. The main structures, two elevators and their support buildings, have been completed from Walthers kits and finished by my friend Dale DeVene Jr. Here is some of his handiwork:

Elevators9-5-10 by railohio, on Flickr

Mathewsville2_9-5-10 by railohio, on Flickr

Wehbyrn1_9-5-10 by railohio, on Flickr

My goal is to have the layout ready for a train show by the end of the year. I think that can be accomplished with some ballast, ground foam, and vehicles. I'll keep you posted.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

AveryRdhouse
Railroadfan...fan

Re: N Scale Milwaukee Road Branch

Unread post by AveryRdhouse »

Well if it's anything Milwaukee, it will be good. I love your buildings. They draw will you right in to the area. Been out that way a few times following whats left of the mainline. VERY sad.
Bill

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

nice job weathering the elevator railohio
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

From a loooooong time N scaler (back when it was called treble-o), super job, both of you! What train show you shooting for?

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Nice buildings, But I think you should have lots more track and run TONS of trains. LoL.
Mark it Zero.

railohio

railohio

GTWFRED wrote:What train show you shooting for?
Thanksgiving weekend in Fort Wayne at the Children's Science Museum.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Looks like you're ready to load and operate a unit grain train :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railohio

Sorry, Don, no unit grain trains on the branches in 1968. This is strictly a carload operation, and 40' cars at that!