Question about Multi-Unit Lash-ups

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Question about Multi-Unit Lash-ups

Unread post by Racer »

Lately, I have been configuring between my trains that require 2 locomotives to complete their tasks (Mainly "turn" jobs). I have been testing my units that are geared similiar speeds to each other (Since I don't have DCC). I have been able to match a few units pretty well, my question is if that damages any gears inside the locomotives?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Question about Multi-Unit Lash-ups

Unread post by SD80MAC »

If the speeds between the two differs by a large margin, then yes you can damage them in the long run. Typically I put the slowest unit in front, that leaves the fastest unit coupled directly to the train. If the train is long enough, it's weight slows the fast unit down enough and the pair will run good.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

Alright, thanks Jon. The speed difference between the two is actually by a pretty small margin, so I assume it will not hurt them with a 4-6 car consist. Reason I am doing this is because the train is a "turn job".
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:Alright, thanks Jon. The speed difference between the two is actually by a pretty small margin, so I assume it will not hurt them with a 4-6 car consist. Reason I am doing this is because the train is a "turn job".
Obviously its your layout, but if a job usually only has a small number of cars, most 'turn jobs' will only get 1 locomotive. Wasting two engines for 6 or 10 cars is poor motive power utilization, thus locals, yard jobs, turn jobs, etc will only get the power necessary to move the train. Granted, if they're going to be getting 30 to 40 cars at some point on their trip, then obviously you plan your power accordingly. Obviously there is much more that goes into motive power assignments, but with a small turn job, you could get away with just one locomotive if you don't want to run the risk of long term damage.

Practice Safe CSX

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

I understand what you are saying Russ. The reason I prefer 2 units is because I am trying to mock the D700 job in Grand Rapids. Whenever I saw it, it normally had 2 units on it. My coal trains into West Olive have 2 units, too even though my coal trains are 7-8 cars. This is because the inbound track into the plant on my layout is stub-ended and the power would be trapped at the end. I could have the power run around the siding and push the bethgons into the plant, but I think it would look silly seeing a single SD70ACe pushing hoppers. :lol:

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Silly, not really, and way more fun and realistic operationally.

Heck Y101, the Defiance local runs 20 miles backwards with a caboose leading, fun fun fun.

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

MagnumForce wrote:Silly, not really, and way more fun and realistic operationally.

Heck Y101, the Defiance local runs 20 miles backwards with a caboose leading, fun fun fun.
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure that nowhere on the Class 1 Railroads operate where a loaded coal train is hauled by one GEVO or ACe, or atleast not having a single 6-axle unit pushing the loads into the plant. A train of empties with 1 unit is possible (They do it often up here on CSX and CN). The point is, if both units are PRETTY CLOSE to being the same gear speed, will it damage my engines? :lol:

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

Close is close, not perfect. So there maybe damage, are we talking things you're okay with damaging? Like athearns, or bachmanns with p2ks? Then run um, but if we're talking atlas with kato... or atlas chinas with atlas rocos... Ahhhh, I wouldn't, period.
And another point, while the difference in amperage (motor load) might not be bad, but it could be(long term). Also have you tested them for pairing at all speeds? How about loaded vs light(unless you're gonna turn em they have to work each way)?
My point is that you can't see the damage being done till its too late. (i.e. Grinding, growling, stripped/slipped gears, or humming.)

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

Don't be so sure about 1 unit wonder coal trains, last summer I had a 17,000+ ton, 125 train with a single BNSF GEVO heading from Toledo to Chicago. A fast trip is was not! Made 7mph pulling it up from the river to Airline yard.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:I understand what you are saying Russ. The reason I prefer 2 units is because I am trying to mock the D700 job in Grand Rapids. Whenever I saw it, it normally had 2 units on it.
In case word didn't get to you last weekend, I've seen D700 running with a single unit as of late, if that'll affect your operations at all. Since they don't do the Holland Waverly pickup anymore, their trains aren't nearly as large.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com