What If?......

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

What If?......

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

What railroad would you model if you started over? Have you ever given any thought to it? What era? Would you change scales? Myself, I would be looking to model the Erie Lackawanna between probably Kenton, OH and Huntington, IN towards the end of the EL 1972/76. Still in HO scale. That way I could model the UPS trains and other piggyback/TOFC. Also, could model the COFC train. Could have grain trains, freights, coke train. Would not model the last of the Lake Cities passenger train even though it would be neat. Wouldn't fit the time period. All the interchange at Lima, the junctions at Ohio City. Kenton and Huntington would also be east/west staging points. I've even gathered some info, books, etc just in case. Haven't bought any locos or rolling stock or structures though. Still way too interested in current day BNSF Montana operations. Maybe in the future? :lol: PW

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: What If?......

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

I have a few ideas if I wanted to completely start over. My first is a BNSF themed layout set somewhere in the plains states. With BN and ATSF equipment mixing in with BNSF power. My other idea is a Penn Central themed layout, not sure of a local.
Nick

AveryRdhouse
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AveryRdhouse »

I have two things I might go to. One would be the CP in the late 90's between Pigs eye yard in St Paul down to LaCrosse WI. I still love all those Sd40's of the CP, SOO and lots of rent-a-wrecks. Many Milwaukee units still floating around too.
The other would be going back and modeling the WC from Fon du Lac up to Neenah and maybe as far as Stevens Point. Tons of switching and even some double track. This would also be late 90's before the Communist Nationalist ruined everything. Looking at the prices of a lot of stuff these days though, I could never afford the switch. Never home anyway.
Bill

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

I would go with KCS. I am planning on having some KCS power on my freelanced CSX layout however. I am trying to keep my layout neutral, therefore I can run more than one roadname. As well and a range a time from late 80s til current.

But if I had to do it all over again and choose a region and railroad, I would go with KCS down by Shreveport. I love the current paint and I would be able to run their beautiful OCS train.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

If I had the room, money, and time I would model a present day merger of AA & GLC. I would call it Ann Arbor & Michigan Northern (AAMN). For those who know my spiritual convictions will note AAMN, pronounced "Amen", is not a coincidence :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

The Cincinnati Northern in 1968 under PC. The Northern Division in PC parlance, compress it of course but have it be Bryan to Ohio City.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

If I started over, I would of modeled UP and BNSF from 2005-present around the Southern California region. Would have a staging yard as Barstow and the main line going to Los Angeles (Mocking the San Bernadino Subdivision) where the lines would split, one line would go to San Diego (Surfliner/ BNSF San Diego Subdivision) and one would go around urban L.A. to Long Beach and San Pedro. Main reason was to run a good variety of power from both the UP/SP and BN/SF mergers, plus commuter and Amtrak trains from LA to San Diego. Most of the operations would be point-to-point road freights with switching and industry delivering at each terminal. This never happend because I don't have the skill to do benchwork and plaster molding for the "high desert" hills and coastal scenary and not enough space to model every area of Southern California that interests me such as the L.A. River and the Mojave Desert, and the ports in Long Beach; it would take alot of space to make it have that urban Southern California feeling. Plus, another factor is that since I live in Michigan, I prefer to model around my area.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

KCSrailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KCSrailfan »

AC60CW wrote:I would go with KCS. I am planning on having some KCS power on my freelanced CSX layout however. I am trying to keep my layout neutral, therefore I can run more than one roadname. As well and a range a time from late 80s til current.

But if I had to do it all over again and choose a region and railroad, I would go with KCS down by Shreveport. I love the current paint and I would be able to run their beautiful OCS train.
Glad to see someone that wants to Model the KCS like I do. I live in the Shreveport area an near the Deramus Yard were they keep the Business Train at. They just painted an former White ghost unit SD40-2 in to the new Southern Belle scheme at the Main shops here I never though i'd see that.
The Ultimate Railroad, The Kansas City Southern aka damianbradley
http://kcsrailfan.proboards57.com/index.cgi

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

KCSfan, my daughter lives in Bossier. Two times ago, while I was down there. I was able to get access to the yard there. I took lots of pictures. Although the business trains power were in the house, I did get pictures of the cars. I got pictures of the Christmas train as well that is parked on the back side. Also got pictures of some damages locomotives and all of the grey units in storage on the back side as well. Hopefully I will be headed down there in August for my granddaughter first birthday. Want to spend a week there.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

Wisc Southern

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

If I had the space to build a large layout, I would do it on Penn Central's ex Pennsy main thru Ft. Wayne, IN.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I'd try to to Conrail's Kalamazoo secondary from Grand Rapids south as far as space would permit, circa 1996.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Old Hogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Old Hogger »

Narrow gauge, probably On30. With lots of waterfront switching. Maine most likely.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

OHHH what about O Two Foot guage.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

KCSrailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KCSrailfan »

AC60CW wrote:KCSfan, my daughter lives in Bossier. Two times ago, while I was down there. I was able to get access to the yard there. I took lots of pictures. Although the business trains power were in the house, I did get pictures of the cars. I got pictures of the Christmas train as well that is parked on the back side. Also got pictures of some damages locomotives and all of the grey units in storage on the back side as well. Hopefully I will be headed down there in August for my granddaughter first birthday. Want to spend a week there.

Let me tell ya KCS is doing very well now. The Storage line has decreased alot,and lots of SD40s,50s,an 60s are working hard on the KCS now a days,an it feels like the good o'l KCS days. I went to the yard today the engine terminal was just bout empty
The Ultimate Railroad, The Kansas City Southern aka damianbradley
http://kcsrailfan.proboards57.com/index.cgi

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

If I did it again I don't know what I'd model. I'd like to freelance an Ore Line in Northern MI, and I'd like to model the Saginaw Bay City area, CNW in NW WI, DRGW Through the rockies, DRGW Narrow Gauge. Too many choices to pick just 1

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

Toledo, Lake Erie and Western. :shock:

ConrailForever
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailForever »

I do freelanced myself, but if I had to start over, I think I'd do BNSF, probably based on the TransCon through Illinois.

jwilliam33
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jwilliam33 »

Brent, I'll take from Bryan north on the CN if you take from Bryan south. Same era. Now all I'd have to do is find some traffic for the line!!! Lol!

CSXIndyLine
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXIndyLine »

Freelanced Wabash Valley Railroad (WVRC) between Lafayette, IN and somewhere else (TBA)