That Pennsy look

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
GAP
Railroadfan...fan

That Pennsy look

Unread post by GAP »

My model railroad is an extension of the Pennsy (GR&I) across the straits and up to Sault Ste Marie (1961). How do I Pennsy-fy it to make it look like the PRR controls it? What kind of buildings, structures, etc would add to the Pennsy look?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: That Pennsy look

Unread post by SD80MAC »

A lot of Pennsy signs along the tracks, like whistle posts, were shaped like Keystones, so that might be something to consider.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

berkmeister
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by berkmeister »

Well GAP, how about some of those famous Pennsy style position-light signals? Even if you model the GR&I as it really was as "dark" territory, you would need these signals at both distant and home locations at all interlockings on your mainline. Berk :D

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Rider humps and block stations.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

GAP wrote:My model railroad is an extension of the Pennsy (GR&I) across the straits and up to Sault Ste Marie (1961). How do I Pennsy-fy it to make it look like the PRR controls it? What kind of buildings, structures, etc would add to the Pennsy look?
If you're a PRR modeler you've got it made... plenty of stuff out there to buy off the shelf. Just go out to the Pennsy "hysterical society" website and start surfing away. ;) Seriously, I Googled the railroad and found a whole bunch of stuff in 1:87 scale - here's one link http://kc.pennsyrr.com/model/prrflavor.php. Oh, and yes... get those US&S position light signals for the distant/approach and home signals for your (imagined) junctions with the DSS&A and Soo Line - nothing say's "P-Road" more than those IMO.

Have fun... maroon smoothside varnish sure looks good Up North.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

berkmeister wrote:Well GAP, how about some of those famous Pennsy style position-light signals? Even if you model the GR&I as it really was as "dark" territory, you would need these signals at both distant and home locations at all interlockings on your mainline. Berk :D
GAP,

Check out this recent thread on the Atlas HO forum - right up your alley:

http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67969

Tom Johnson is an artist right up there with Lance Mindheim, IMO.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gov. Crappo »

I model N scale but heres an example....my line is a fictional MI road that has ties to the PRR(GR&I) and this is the "distant signal to P Junction" which is my Pennsy interchange....simple thing that says "Pennsy"

(yes i know the lights should be yellow not white but i havent painted them yet :roll: )

i hate the interstate and the infernal combustion engine
nothing is sweeter then the smell of coalsmoke in the morning
"hey are you waiting for a train too?"