Repainting an HO Scale Train Help

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

Repainting an HO Scale Train Help

Unread post by legostudios34 »

So I've ordered the Bachmann GP40 I'm going to repaint (and detail) to FEC, and now I've got a question about airbrushing it. First, what would be the best airbrush thats less than 80 dollars to do this with? Also, my grandfather has a large air compressor, what would I need to make it work with an airbrush? His air compressor is one for running power tools and re-inflating tires and stuff like that. If anyone has a complete list of the stuff I'd need that would be great. Also, as for the airbrush, I'd prefer an internally mixed one after reading some stuff about them.

EDIT - Renamed topic.
Last edited by legostudios34 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baxter Barnes. 21. Alabama.
Meow. Now you know how to speak cat. -Flickr

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: Airbrushing a HO Scale Train Help

Unread post by CSX_CO »

legostudios34 wrote:So I've ordered the Bachmann GP40 I'm going to repaint (and detail) to FEC, and now I've got a question about airbrushing it. First, what would be the best airbrush thats less than 80 dollars to do this with? Also, my grandfather has a large air compressor, what would I need to make it work with an airbrush? His air compressor is one for running power tools and re-inflating tires and stuff like that. If anyone has a complete list of the stuff I'd need that would be great. Also, as for the airbrush, I'd prefer an internally mixed one after reading some stuff about them.
Not sure you're going to get anything for $80. Besides, you're better off spending a little more and getting a good Pasche or Badger Air Brush. I think they run ~$110 to $120 for a good internal mix air brush.

As far as the compressor, you need a regulator that will take it down to 15 or 20 lbs of pressure, if even that high. Air brush will have recommended pressures on it in the manual. Too high of pressure, and the paint will 'glob' on the surface of the model.

To be honest, unless you're planning on doing a LOT of painting, you can get RR spray paint cans for $5 to $8 per color. Floquil and Scale Coat both sell them in the specific RR Colors. That would save you the initial expense of the air brush if you aren't planning on doing a lot of painting. You're going to need thinner, a decent place to do your painting (well ventalated, away from dust, dirt, etc), plus all the stuff to properly clean the air brush out when you're done painting. Water based paint would eliminate a lot of the hassle, but I just never really like the way it covered compared to enamel based paint.

Practice Safe CSX

legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

CSX_CO wrote:
To be honest, unless you're planning on doing a LOT of painting, you can get RR spray paint cans for $5 to $8 per color. Floquil and Scale Coat both sell them in the specific RR Colors. That would save you the initial expense of the air brush if you aren't planning on doing a lot of painting. You're going to need thinner, a decent place to do your painting (well ventalated, away from dust, dirt, etc), plus all the stuff to properly clean the air brush out when you're done painting. Water based paint would eliminate a lot of the hassle, but I just never really like the way it covered compared to enamel based paint.

Practice Safe CSX
I had no idea they sold spray paint for this purpose... I might just have to pick me up a can of that first and see if I like it. What would be the best color for FEC dark blue?

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Primarily I use Testor's brand spray can ($4~ after a 40% off coupon from Michael's craft store or Hobby Lobby [Hobby Lobby carries railroad paint colors as compared to standard Testor's colors found at Michael's]). I have found their "silver metallic" to match Amtrak coach paint quite good. I haven't bought any of the airbrushing paints yet, even though I got a Badger 200 airbrush last fall. Most of the painting I do is 1 or 2 color and can be easily achieved in what I can get between Testor's available colors. . However, I have found that Rust-o-leum makes a new "Painter's Touch" Plastic that adapts VERY WELL to shells that need painting. I use a base coat of their primer and then spray my colors on top of it. It does not harm the plastic and seems to have a better overall wear. I buy it at $5 in the spray paint aisle at Home Depot or Lowe's. They have a MUCH larger color palate to choose from.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Repainting an HO Scale Train Help

Unread post by 12Bridge »

I will never, ever use Testors rattle cans again. I have had so many bad experiences and ruined projects from them.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

You won't get internal an mix for 80 bucks.

I would look at something like this, I had something similar as a kid and it was very good to learn on. Still external mix but fine for your needs, plus the right type of compressor for things.
http://www.amazon.com/PAASCHE-AIRBRUSH- ... B001CEEWX4
Paasche is a great brand.

lsi3009
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lsi3009 »

i do a lot of air brushing, detailing and weathering my locomotives and rolling stock, i purchased a badger 150 airbrush from michaels craft store few yrs ago and i paid around $50 for it. works well and easy too use and clean.
i use pollyscale model rr colors for all my needs when im air brushing. i do thinn my paints. so it will spray. for primers i just use a light grey on the models so when i spray darkers colors they will coat evenly and dont have too put many layers on too get a good layer on.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

lsi3009 wrote: i use pollyscale model rr colors for all my needs when im air brushing. i do thinn my paints. so it will spray. for primers i just use a light grey on the models so when i spray darkers colors they will coat evenly and dont have too put many layers on too get a good layer on.
You're better off using a white or silver as a base primer coat. Using grey under yellows and other 'lighter' colors will give them funny hues.

Practice Safe CSX

legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

CSX_CO wrote:
lsi3009 wrote: i use pollyscale model rr colors for all my needs when im air brushing. i do thinn my paints. so it will spray. for primers i just use a light grey on the models so when i spray darkers colors they will coat evenly and dont have too put many layers on too get a good layer on.
You're better off using a white or silver as a base primer coat. Using grey under yellows and other 'lighter' colors will give them funny hues.

Practice Safe CSX
FEC is very dark blue so grey would probably be fine.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

legostudios34 wrote: FEC is very dark blue so grey would probably be fine.
I'd still go with a white or silver primer. It will make your blue look 'deeper'. After seeing the differences, I never prime with grey unless its the base color for a model (D&H for a quick example)

Practice safe CSX

legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

So I'm still yet to do any painting, I got rid of the Bachmann and will be ordering an Athearn GP40 soon. Before I order, I have another question about paint. Is the Floquil Dark Blue like or very close to FEC blue? I'm getting a spray can for now, no airbrush yet, so thats why I'm asking. I read B&o royal blue was very good for FEC paint, but they dont have that in the spray can. I need to know soon, the Athearn GP40 stock is very low. I get my paycheck tomorrow so thats when I need to order paint, the gp40, decals and a dh123at. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

EDIT - I'm pretty colorblind so I may not be able to tell differences if they're minor. I do have prototype pictures to compare the finished paint job to.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

legostudios34 wrote:So I'm still yet to do any painting, I got rid of the Bachmann and will be ordering an Athearn GP40 soon. Before I order, I have another question about paint. Is the Floquil Dark Blue like or very close to FEC blue? I'm getting a spray can for now, no airbrush yet, so thats why I'm asking. I read B&o royal blue was very good for FEC paint, but they dont have that in the spray can. I need to know soon, the Athearn GP40 stock is very low. I get my paycheck tomorrow so thats when I need to order paint, the gp40, decals and a dh123at. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
Athearn RTR GP40's are not very good engines. They still have the old bluebox style drive and the dreaded "bonfire" headlight in the cab, they're noisey, they're not very detailed and they're not DCC ready. Save yourself a few more pennies and look for an Atlas Master Series GP40 or GP40-2. You won't be sorry you did.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

SD80MAC wrote:
legostudios34 wrote:So I'm still yet to do any painting, I got rid of the Bachmann and will be ordering an Athearn GP40 soon. Before I order, I have another question about paint. Is the Floquil Dark Blue like or very close to FEC blue? I'm getting a spray can for now, no airbrush yet, so thats why I'm asking. I read B&o royal blue was very good for FEC paint, but they dont have that in the spray can. I need to know soon, the Athearn GP40 stock is very low. I get my paycheck tomorrow so thats when I need to order paint, the gp40, decals and a dh123at. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
Athearn RTR GP40's are not very good engines. They still have the old bluebox style drive and the dreaded "bonfire" headlight in the cab, they're noisey, they're not very detailed and they're not DCC ready. Save yourself a few more pennies and look for an Atlas Master Series GP40 or GP40-2. You won't be sorry you did.
I've got an LED to put in the cab and I'll get detail parts where needed.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

you can add details all you want, still wont run like a "good unit" if you want a good running quite nice unit you will have to spend a little to get there. if can look good, but it might not sound good :wink: I'd also save my pennies instead of having to spend later to add details. I'll buy 1 P2K engine instead of buying 3 or 4 blue boxes if I had the choice (Although... of my P2K engines, I have never paid retail :lol: ) basically I do not buy cheap engines new anymore, only at train show if I have to have it. Actually I have only bought like less then 10 units new but that's a story for another day :lol:

But if its your first paint job I recommend starting on a cheap engine.. so you will not feel bad if its not good the first time, or you mess up a decal or something. you can always restart as well. I sure as heck wouldn't paint an Atlas Master series on my first try :wink:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:you can add details all you want, still wont run like a "good unit" if you want a good running quite nice unit you will have to spend a little to get there. if can look good, but it might not sound good :wink: I'd also save my pennies instead of having to spend later to add details. I'll buy 1 P2K engine instead of buying 3 or 4 blue boxes if I had the choice (Although... of my P2K engines, I have never paid retail :lol: ) basically I do not buy cheap engines new anymore, only at train show if I have to have it. Actually I have only bought like less then 10 units new but that's a story for another day :lol:

But if its your first paint job I recommend starting on a cheap engine.. so you will not feel bad if its not good the first time, or you mess up a decal or something. you can always restart as well. I sure as heck wouldn't paint an Atlas Master series on my first try :wink:
Exactly. I chose the Athearn as a compromise between detail and price. And I've actually had good experiences with my Athearn locomotives. I have a blue box kit from the 70s that was my grandfathers and it runs good. I do love P2K locos too, and have got some good deals on them. ($70 for a MIB EMDX SD60)

Back to my original question - Is Floquil Dark Blue spray passable for FEC dark blue or B&O Royal Blue?

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

why not buy a bottle of both? and test it. at my local hoppy shop I can get the little bottles for about $4-5ish (i don't remember exactly..) but even if you pick one or the other it is nice to have different shades and colors for the future. Just looking it up i have found that C&O is close like you said.. worst that can happen is you have too much paint

(also remember most of the people on this site are Michigan/ Ohio Folks and probably haven't modeled FEC before ;) )

legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:why not buy a bottle of both? and test it. at my local hoppy shop I can get the little bottles for about $4-5ish (i don't remember exactly..) but even if you pick one or the other it is nice to have different shades and colors for the future. Just looking it up i have found that C&O is close like you said.. worst that can happen is you have too much paint

(also remember most of the people on this site are Michigan/ Ohio Folks and probably haven't modeled FEC before ;) )
I mean that the B&O and C&O are very close to FEC, but the only spray for that is Scalecoat 2 and that is only available from the manufacturer. M B Klein has the Floquil dark blue spray for 4.99. I guess I could try it but I really don't want to waste time painting a locomotive only to have the color be really off.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

take an old car, a piece of paper, a sheet of styrene anything and test it. or contact a club in the southern area that might do FEC, email a member if you find one.. lots of options still open 8)

legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:take an old car, a piece of paper, a sheet of styrene anything and test it. or contact a club in the southern area that might do FEC, email a member if you find one.. lots of options still open 8)
I'm a member of the FEC yahoo group, I can post on there. Thanks Ypsi.

legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

I got my GP40, broke it in, then installed the decoder. Phase I is done. Now I just have to wait till I can go to the hobby shop to buy the paint I need.