Michigan's Must Visit Model RR Show

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Michigan's Must Visit Model RR Show

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I'm just curious as to what people think are the best shows in the state to visit. I like my local shows that the West Michigan Model Railroad Club, Grand River Valley Model Railroad Club and Riverbend Model Railroad Club put on but it seems like the big shows are the ones to go to for great deals. Any suggestions? I hear Lansing and Detroit are pretty good. Any others to watch out for?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Michigan's Must Visit Model RR Show

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Lansing is the best, hands down.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

The Lansing show has been a solid performer for years, and over the past few has, in my opinion, overtaken the shows in SE Michigan.

The Avondale show the past couple of years has been outstanding as well.

As for which one has better bargains, I can't really say, since I've reached the point where I'm usually looking for less common, out-of-production items, and so long as I'm not paying a price grossly inflated above list or above typical market value, I'm just happy to find the things.

As good as I feel that those two shows are, neither show even holds a candle to the one I came home from last night-- the Amherst RR Society' Show at the "Big E" Exposition Center in Springfield, Massachusetts (http://www.railroadhobbyshow.com/). It is truly overwhelming, and a show that is worth getting to even just once if you can possibly manage it. Eight hours isn't enough time to properly see everything, but was all the time that I had (it's a two-day show).

But the Avondale and the Lansing shows have the definite advantage of not being 700-800 miles away.
-Fritz Milhaupt

sandpatch1
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by sandpatch1 »

I agree with Fitz. Lansing has become the best, Cause it draws people from the area who buy a table and clean out the basement. Remember this is what AA started out as a auction to get rid of your extra stuff, , then a show, but most around detroit are dealers with retail prices, and trays of tyco, the few times I went to Troy it was very good. As for Travel. the Chicago shows I believe in Elmhurst at the fair grounds were increadable. esp the parking lot where you paid to park inside the grounds and sold out of your trunk.. got a full set of B&O china once. But the show is not what is was.
Still you have to go cause you never know... and it is a good way to get out with family ...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Doesn't Detroit have a massive show as well?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

The Mid-Michigan show in Mt Pleasant is pretty good. I think it's around 200 tables and has a good mix of dealers and individuals selling. Should be coming up the end of March.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Isn't there a show in like Troy or some suburb of Detroit that is decent? I think it is in a town that begins with an E...

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

MQT1223 wrote:The town I was thinking of was Ecorse, Michigan. Whether that's close to Detroit I have no idea.
Sorry MQT1223, but lollerskates on the questions.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=ecorse+to+detroit
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

~Z~ wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:The town I was thinking of was Ecorse, Michigan. Whether that's close to Detroit I have no idea.

That's a great link ~Z~ :lol: "was that so hard?" :P
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Lansing is by far the best. Always great deals and location. Catch some deals and then fan Lansing for the day.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:
~Z~ wrote:

That's a great link ~Z~ :lol: "was that so hard?" :P
Ok so I didn't feel like doing it initially. Whatever... hahaha we can all have a good laugh can't we!? We all can have fun instigating ME! Not like I get any other kind of treatment on here the other half of the time... :|

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

BerkshireKid wrote:Lansing is by far the best. Always great deals and location. Catch some deals and then fan Lansing for the day.
That's a great answer. Way to be a role model on here. Looks like I have my answer then since everyone else just wants to play... :lol:

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote: Ok so I didn't feel like doing it initially. Whatever... hahaha we can all have a good laugh can't we!? We all can have fun instigating ME! Not like I get any other kind of treatment on here the other half of the time... :|
Well what do you expect when you say you have no idea where Ecorse is? Especially when it would have taken less time to google "Ecorse, MI" than it took to type up your post.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
MQT1223 wrote: Ok so I didn't feel like doing it initially. Whatever... hahaha we can all have a good laugh can't we!? We all can have fun instigating ME! Not like I get any other kind of treatment on here the other half of the time... :|
Well what do you expect when you say you have no idea where Ecorse is? Especially when it would have taken less time to google "Ecorse, MI" than it took to type up your post.
I'm not a GPS i don't know every city in Michigan. I think its near Wyandotte.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote: I'm not a GPS i don't know every city in Michigan. I think its near Wyandotte.
You know SO much about trains in the Detroit area, but taking two seconds to google "Ecorse, MI" is a challenge? Baffling.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
MQT1223 wrote: I'm not a GPS i don't know every city in Michigan. I think its near Wyandotte.
You know SO much about trains in the Detroit area, but taking two seconds to google "Ecorse, MI" is a challenge? Baffling.
I really don't know much about Detroit. But since I need a geography lesson I might as well through a history lesson in there as well. Ecorse is a suburb of Detroit In Wayne County (which I was right it was near Detroit). It was incorporated in 1902 as a village and a city in 1941. Its right on the border of US/Canada on the Detroit River and is a little over 3 1/2 square miles in area. Railroads in the city are Canadian National/Grand Trunk and Norfolk Southern/Conrail. CSX is not far out but I cannot confirm if it is in Ecorse City Limits.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote: I really don't know much about Detroit. But since I need a geography lesson I might as well through a history lesson in there as well. Ecorse is a suburb of Detroit In Wayne County (which I was right it was near Detroit). It was incorporated in 1902 as a village and a city in 1941. Its right on the border of US/Canada on the Detroit River and is a little over 3 1/2 square miles in area. Railroads in the city are Canadian National/Grand Trunk and Norfolk Southern/Conrail. CSX is not far out but I cannot confirm if it is in Ecorse City Limits.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Nobody is saying you SHOULD know...they're saying that you should TRY to know, which in this day and age is 30 seconds of using GOOGLE! No excuses! Nobody wants to do your searches for you, when you can do them in 10 seconds, literally.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:Nobody is saying you SHOULD know...they're saying that you should TRY to know, which in this day and age is 30 seconds of using GOOGLE! No excuses! Nobody wants to do your searches for you, when you can do them in 10 seconds, literally.
So I didn't google it, I did now. How about you Alex? Favorite train show?

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote:Nobody is saying you SHOULD know...they're saying that you should TRY to know, which in this day and age is 30 seconds of using GOOGLE! No excuses! Nobody wants to do your searches for you, when you can do them in 10 seconds, literally.
30 seconds? 10 seconds? Make up your mind, boy!