Not as easy as I thought.

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
A No.1
To Portland

Not as easy as I thought.

Unread post by A No.1 »

After a few attempts I finaly got a PAN shot like this. It was harder than I thought to get the engine not to Blure.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 789&nseq=0

Ill post some failures in the morning.
Mark it Zero.

nssd70m-2
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Not as easy as I thought.

Unread post by nssd70m-2 »

Nice shot!

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Whish this one would have turned out better.

Mark it Zero.

mlmphotography
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mlmphotography »

Pan's have always been difficult for me too! The worst for me is the zoom pan though. I've yet to get one even close.

You did well.

Loyd L.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

mlmphotography wrote:Pan's have always been difficult for me too! The worst for me is the zoom pan though. I've yet to get one even close.

You did well.

Loyd L.
I'll second that! To date, I only have one pan on rp.net:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=298419

I need to experiment more with pans.

Good job on yours!

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Thanks for the compliments. Here's another FAIL.

Mark it Zero.

msurailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by msurailfan »

That's an awesome....what's the term....."tactic"? Could you give me a hint as to how one goes about taking this kind of shot? And makes it turn out well?

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

For best results, it is usualy acomplished with a tripod. That way there is no up and down motion, and all you have to worry about is side to side. Also usualy better acomplished with the lens in manual focus, as a tree could fool the auto focus. Plus it needs a better "background" as its hard to tell its a "blur/pan" shot when you have open sky.

As far as Aarons photo, both are just "blah" it needs more pop to it. Underexposed. These shots are hard to do.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

I would use auto focus and make sure you have the right focus points selected (as long as your camera allows that). If the train is zooming by at 60 mph, it's a little difficult to keep that manual focus in the exact spot and keep it sharp.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

One important note for using Canon IS lenses with mode 1 & 2 (like my tele):

"Mode 1 = IS enabled for both horizontal and vertical stabilization

Modes 2 = IS starts in mode 1, when panning (either vertical or horizontal) is detected, the lens disables IS in the panning direction."

So in other words, the IS can actually help you get a sharp pan if you're using it properly otherwise it'll attempt to "correct" the movement of your pan effort and make it blury. Tripod + corret set up relative to the track + IS mode 2 + practice! can = a good pan shot. It is possible to hand hold pan (and pace) shots but you need a real steady hand for a smooth motion.

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

msurailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by msurailfan »

MDH wrote:One important note for using Canon IS lenses with mode 1 & 2 (like my tele):

"Mode 1 = IS enabled for both horizontal and vertical stabilization

Modes 2 = IS starts in mode 1, when panning (either vertical or horizontal) is detected, the lens disables IS in the panning direction."

So in other words, the IS can actually help you get a sharp pan if you're using it properly otherwise it'll attempt to "correct" the movement of your pan effort and make it blury. Tripod + corret set up relative to the track + IS mode 2 + practice! can = a good pan shot. It is possible to hand hold pan (and pace) shots but you need a real steady hand for a smooth motion.

Michael
Thanks, Michael! I have IS lenses so that was just golden.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

IIRC, the new IS lenses (such as the 70-200 f/2.8 ) automatically detect and shut IS off when you set it on a tripod. Not all IS lenses do this so make sure you know.

beertrain
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by beertrain »

Nice shot Buddy! You'll have to teach me how to do that stuff the next time your in PA.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:For best results, it is usualy acomplished with a tripod. That way there is no up and down motion, and all you have to worry about is side to side. Also usualy better acomplished with the lens in manual focus, as a tree could fool the auto focus. Plus it needs a better "background" as its hard to tell its a "blur/pan" shot when you have open sky.

As far as Aarons photo, both are just "blah" it needs more pop to it. Underexposed. These shots are hard to do.

I like the blue sky, I think it makes the train stand out more. The other two shots were more or less practice. This is the one that worked. Im going to practice more with dif. back drops.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 789&nseq=0
Mark it Zero.